The place to relax and hold discussions about specific topics, and conversations, or to just have a nice little chat!

What holidays do you celebrate?

Moderator: Ryvvi

Re: DIY Holiday traditions...ornaments and wreaths and thing

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:18 pm

All the stores have Christmas items no so I thought it time to revive the holiday thread - are you making any items for Thanksgiving or Christmas, New Year's? I think there is also a couple other celebrations - Hannukah, Kwanza, Diwaldi - anyone do anything for those?

I am going to put together a variety of tea's (the ones in individual packets, I buy an assortment and divide them)and put them in sachets and hand them out to friends. Any suggestions of what your favorite teas are?

Local time: Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:14 pm

Re: DIY Holiday traditions...venison for Thanksgiving?

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:33 pm

The articel is "why do we eat turkey at Thanksgiving?"

I thought it was because there were wild turkeys... apparently not.

"The food selection wasn’t because of the three-day feast held back in 1621 between the Pilgrims and the Wampanoag like some believe. Historians have found they ate some turkey then, but venison was the main meat eaten.

Potatoes also weren’t eaten at that meal, because they weren’t grown in the area at the time. Pies were not on the menu because they weren’t yet growing wheat either.

Abraham Lincoln proclaimed a national Thanksgiving Day in 1863, but it wasn’t until the 1900s that they holiday became popular across the country."

“In the early 20th century, things like turkey and cornbread and stuffing were something that was taught to new, who were then immigrants, as a way of Americanizing them,” Tracey Duetsch, a food historian at the University of Minnesota, told CBS Minnesota.
If you want to read more check it out:
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/why-do-we-e ... nksgiving/

Re: What holidays do you celebrate?

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:19 am

Anybody do anything special to celebrate St. Patrick's day?

Over here fines are doubled if you are arrested on St. Patrick's day.

Postby Gingerale » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:05 pm

Everyone is supposed to wear a little green or get pinched (not sure where that idea came from). The stores sell corned beef and cabbage.

I think I am going to make some potato soup for St. Patrick's day and a bailey's and cream hot chocolate or coffee would be delicious.

Local time: Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:14 pm

Postby Tuijp » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:06 am

I decided that, this year, I will celebrate every holiday I can think of. This week we had pancake day and St Patrick's and soon we will have Pass over and Easter (Pass Over is from March 30 until April 7 and Easter on April 1 and 2).

Local time: Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:14 pm

Postby Gingerale » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:00 pm

Pancake day sounds yummy. Did you make any special kind of pancake or toppings?

I generally just eat my pancake's swimming in syrup. Now with crepe's I like fruit and whipped cream.

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:09 am

It's the beginning of the Novalia season on Windlyn! A day of harvests...time to do some feasting!

Postby galled » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:13 am

This time of year I celebrate both Change and Charge the Batteries Day and Backup the Computers Day! ;)

Server Administrator

~Windlyn Daydream by Mouse

Windlyn is so fun,
Windlyn is so grand,
So come on everyone,
All across the land,
Come and join us now,
In this awesome site,
We will show you how,
Talking through the night.
~npixelz

Postby aspirin » Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:16 am

I used to celebrate Halloween when I was a kid but I don't really do anything for that anymore other than marathon scary movies with my friends. Besides that I celebrate Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter. The most traditional of traditions including family gatherings where you all eat food together, and when I was younger Easter baskets and egg hunts.

Local time: Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:14 pm

:scream: :neutral: :scream:
current avi: Ryou Bakura

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:33 am

I like any reason for feasting together with family and friends! I have to say I love all the Christmas decorations, there is something serene about a fresh snow fall and christmas lights on houses... and snow laden trees.

Postby Gingerale » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:20 am

New Years day is another good day for eating!

Postby Gorirakujira » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:08 am

I’m originally from the UK but moved to Canada 2 years ago.
There are some differences.

Halloween isn’t a big deal in the UK in terms of kids knocking on doors asking for candy. Mostly Halloween parties is a big thing. Who doesn’t love to dress up? :cheer:

Christmas is pretty much the same. I don’t really celebrate it here since I dont have my family here but when in the UK its more of a celebration of the year end. Eating lots and enjoying family time. Not a religious hoilday for me and my family.

Thanksgiving Canada (October) is a new thing for me here along with Canada Day (July). I don’t have much experience with those holidays...yet. But they all involve lots of food and parties :cheer:

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:08 am

That was a big jump to move to another country with no family, did you move for school or a job?

The US thanksgiving is end of November but I wish it was in October because Nov is to close to the Christmas holiday's.

Postby Gorirakujira » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:50 pm

Lemon Cheesecake wrote:That was a big jump to move to another country with no family, did you move for school or a job?

The US thanksgiving is end of November but I wish it was in October because Nov is to close to the Christmas holiday's.

It sure was.

To be honest I really can’t pinpoint the reason why. I know that sounds odd.

Had a stable job. Had family and friends close by. I had a good life. I came on vacation here a few years before and really loved the lifestyle and slower pace of life. So i guess that’s a reason.. :cheer:

Here I am 2 years later. :heart:

Postby galled » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:32 pm

I understand it's pretty difficult to move to Canada.

Server Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge