For all public RP threads. Stand up and tell your tale!

[Walk-In] [Always Open!] Mysterious Mountain Mansion

Moderator: Sanchicho

[Walk-In] [Always Open!] Mysterious Mountain Mansion

Postby meowzipan » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:15 pm

There is a mansion on the mountainside with seemingly infinite, shifting rooms. It's easy to get lost in a place with a layout that is always changing. And yet, the exit is always just around the corner, if you wish to leave.

Have you lived here for years, or did you only just arrive? Only the lost or adventurous wind up here, either by their own volition, or by some guiding, phantom force that calls to them until they can no longer ignore it. Perhaps there's something here that's waiting to be found? What that is is up to you to decide.

There is a small town at the bottom of the mountain, filled with people who seem to know nothing about the mansion at all.

RULES!
  1. Be kind, open, and have fun!
  2. Please post in a story format!
  3. I will try to play all NPCs that your character interacts with!
  4. This is a walk-in RP, so there's no permission necessary to join! Just establish your character in your first post, however long you want to make it, whatever information you want to reveal.
  5. The world outside of the mansion is a fantasy style universe! Treat it as an old-style world from a fantasy scenario, please!

INFO
The mansion is a liminal space, somewhere between worlds. The universe you're in when you go outside is not your own, either.

Should you choose to go outside and leave the mansion forever, the door will open in your own universe, and all of your memories from that place will be gone. You won't be able to come back.
(Only do this if you want to write your character out permanently!! Otherwise you can just become "lost" for a while.)

You can have as many characters as you want, as long as you can keep track of them. There are no rules about the room layout-- you could walk out of the kitchen, then turn around and find that you're suddenly looking into a library, or a study, or even an indoor garden, maybe a room full to the brim with old, dusty items that don't seem to belong to this world. Use your imagination! The rooms do not have to obey the laws of physics, and they don't have to be typical to an actual house.

There are no enemies in the mansion, and it is not a malicious building. There are odd residents your characters can see from time to time. Strange creatures or beings that lurk in the shadows, moving like ghosts and avoiding the light. They're shy and might seem unsettling, but they're just curious spectators.

To get back to your room, all you have to do is open a door with intent. This only works for your room, or the exit. You can't loophole out of the shifting rooms by having a deus ex machina level of will. The mansion respects the space that is yours, and your ability to go outside. If a person is hungry, it may help guide them to the kitchen if they can't find it, as with any other necessity-- it will not let you starve or dehydrate, or anything else. But for the most part, this is a journey that it is letting you take on your own. Your story is up to you.
(That being said, you will never see a different room than someone else. If someone opens a door and there's an arcade inside, then that's what's in the room.
Also, going outside does not "reset" the layout, because there is no default in the first place.)
You cannot teleport to a room you're looking for, either. The rooms don't exist in a tangible space all the time.

There is also no way to "speak" to the mansion, and if you try, it will not answer. Any perceived response (a new room you walk into, a disembodied voice, a creature making itself known) is a coincidence, and is not the building "entity" communicating.

!!This is a melting pot!!
You can be whatever you want to be! One person could be a ghost haunting the place, another might be a wizard, someone else might be playing as an ordinary mouse who can talk. You can even just be yourself, no roleplay will be turned away as long as everyone is having fun. Even fictional characters (and their AUs) are not off the table.
(Whether or not the media "exists" in this universe depends on your character. Some may know what the source material for your character is, for example, others may not even know what a computer/television is.)

Essentially, just Do Whatever You Want. And have fun!

NOTES
  • I will be playing ALL NPCs. If you leave the mansion and interact with folks in the town, I will reply to you as those characters! (i will interact with you as the shopkeeper/innkeeper/etc; just specify the type of building you're walking into.)
  • I will be playing CREATURES. You can spawn creatures by simply saying that you saw one, and I will reply to you as those creatures!
  • I will be playing THE HOUSE. If you want a random room to spawn, simply open a door and don't describe anything on the other side. I'm more than happy to make one for you!
  • I will also play SPECTERS. If you want me to play a ghost/hallucination your character sees frequently, PM me with a personality/description/and (optional!) quirks and character traits, and i will do my best to play that ghost!

The idea behind this roleplay is mainly this: Your character may have lost something important to them, either as a person, or just in general. This can be literally anything you want it to be-- for example, your character could be on an emotional journey, seeing rooms or places that remind them of their childhood. Or maybe what they lost is a physical object that they cannot do without, and the mansion is trying to show them where it is. OR, maybe your character was just disenchanted with the world they were living in before and prefers it here.

You don't have to make whatever you're character is searching for obvious, or even call attention to it until you find it, if you want. You don't even have to know what it is before you start posting! Maybe you discover what your character needs along with them.

Or! Maybe your character isn't searching for anything, and you're just here. This is whatever you want it to be. :smile:

((extra to be deleted later: i don't know if i will have an actual character yet, aside from creatures and NPCs, so if you want to make a character and post, feel free, please! your character doesn't even have to be on a "journey", honestly. you can do literally whatever you want here, as long as you abide by the universe rules i've established! :grin_wink: ))

Local time: Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:04 pm

:L_Wing: Black Lives Matter :R_Wing:
posture check | stay hydrated
:heart: Image :heart:

Re: [Walk-In] [Always Open!] Mysterious Mountain Mansion

Postby MissAutumn » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:24 pm

This sounds fun. I've never taken part in an RPG so you'll have to bare with me.

My character is Artemis:

[+] SPOILER

She is fed up with the world and decides to go exploring the mountains. She stumbles upon the mansion where adventure awaits her. She feels like she's been in the mansion forever and can't quite remember her old life
She's on the hunt for something, but she doesn't know what.

Local time: Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:04 pm

Postby meowzipan » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:28 pm

welcome! :cheer:
that's okay! roleplay is just improv storytelling, i hope you find it fun!
you can start wherever or however you want. i'll be playing npcs and creatures and stuff, like it says in the main post.

Postby meowzipan » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:31 pm

edit: can't delete this for whatever reason, so this will just be an extra if i need it.

Return to Story Time