Love reading, gaming, or making crafts? Talk about your hobbies here. This is the place for all the things you do!

Anyone Play Music?

Moderator: Ryvvi

Anyone Play Music?

Postby Valentine Strange » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:30 pm

I've wanted to play guitar for a long time. I took some piano lessons when I was very young, they were sort of forced on me though. (Not that I don't want to learn to play, just not like that.) I've played the xylophone and the zither. So most of the instruments I've played in the past have had very linear scales so I was told that the guitar was going to be completely different. I mean it is, but I don't feel like it's as difficult as people say or maybe I just have a knack for it or my willingness to learn is making me learn faster? I don't know, but I've been taking lessons recently.
I was supposed to start taking lessons much earlier, but my instructor actually lost my info for... a few months before he found it and called apologizing. (I had been in his store prior, I'd have given my info to him again if he told me had lost, but he never brought it up.)

Does anyone play an instrument? Take lessons for one?
If so, what? And what color? (I apparently have a very unique color of guitar that's why I'm asking.)

Local time: Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:35 pm

Re: Anyone Play Music?

Postby galled » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:51 pm

My earliest experience with music was very similar. I was basically forced to play the piano after losing interest after my first few lessons. I went on to play many instruments including guitar professionally as a performer and teacher.

With youtube and internet resources you can absolutely learn to play guitar with those resources. My suggestion is to pick a few low chord count songs you like that have youtube tutorials and guitar tabs for them and just play away. The most important bit is to like the song you learn and you'll play it. I think that's the biggest stumbling block for music teachers--trying to get students to play songs the teacher likes instead of ones that the student likes. :)

Server Administrator

Local time: Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:35 pm

~Windlyn Daydream by Mouse

Windlyn is so fun,
Windlyn is so grand,
So come on everyone,
All across the land,
Come and join us now,
In this awesome site,
We will show you how,
Talking through the night.
~npixelz

Postby Polaris » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:15 pm

I played viola and violin as a kid! I also attempted to try and teach myself to play the cello, which sorta worked but it was no where near as good as my violin/viola skills. Sadly, I quit playing after freshman year of high school (played for a good 7 years, had a good run) because of how terrible the school's strings teacher was. He was more of a band guy and the school focused more of their money on their wind ensemble (basically fancy band orchestra) than they did the strings class (we were a measly group of 8 kids, all with varying skills). I loved playing the viola, but lost the interest to keep it going (thanks in part to the not-so-great music department, and also some life stuff happening).

One of my biggest regrets is not pushing myself to keep going, so when things seem to get tough for you in your journey to learn to play the guitar remind yourself about how much you've wanted to do this! It sounds like you and the guitar are a great fit for each other, so keep on going strong and we're all rooting for ya!

Quest Thread

"Smile at me when you see this flower later..."

Image(click for artist)

Postby Valentine Strange » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:49 pm

galled
My dad's ultra religious parents were the ones who made me take piano so I was mainly doing hymnals which was why I lost interest. I'd like to learn again, but on my terms. I always look at the pianos when antiquing, but they are so darn expensive or not in good condition. Newer ones don't seem to have as nice a sound as older ones.

Did you play electric or acoustic? Or electric acoustic?

I haven't looked up things on Youtube yet. I'm working on getting comfortable enough with my guitar to play longer and larger pieces. It's been making me feel a little self conscious about the size of my hands. ^ ^;
Luckily I was asked what songs I like and we're planning to play some Green Day when I get closer to the end of my lessons. :o I also brought up Lincoln Park and Panic! At the Disco, but I apparently Lincoln Park purposely tunes their guitars differently and he said Panic! was kind of advanced.
I might still look up a few things on my own though to play a bit.

It's definitely hard to keep the students attention and get them to practice if they are not interested. Exactly how I felt when I was made to play hymnals.

Polaris
I love the sound of violins, violas, and cellos. I've never attempted to play them before though.
That sounds rough. It's difficult to learn something from someone who isn't all that into it.
Ugh, I hate it when schools prioritize things over others. It's not good for the students and it can put teachers out of a job if they cut the program entirely.
Sound like you enjoyed playing while it lasted. Have you tried picking one up again and seeing what you remember?

I'm practicing and keeping with it. :)
Even if my eldest cat does not approve of my practicing. XD
I've waited a long time to just even afford a guitar so it's really exciting to actually get to learn how to play.
Thanks. ^ ^

Postby Gingerale » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:08 pm

I took a short guitar class. I really don't have a musical ear but I will strum along if no one is listening. I tried to play with a church group, and they were very encouraging, but I had no where near their skills so I opted just to listen to them play. Thankfully there are electronic devices to help you tune the strings otherwise I'd be a real mess.

But I encourage you to keep practicing, especially if you enjoy it!

Local time: Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:35 pm

Postby galled » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:40 pm

Yes alternate tuning is a bit advanced (actually more of a PITA than anything!).

I only have two axes now--a Gibson Les Paul custom and an Ovation acoustic/electric.

You know, keyboards are incredible--they can sound like anything and while many (snobs?) complain about touch/feel, they are available in virtually unlimited designs that mimic acoustic counterparts. I actually find them to have many more advantages than disadvantage to them.

Server Administrator

Postby Valentine Strange » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:01 pm

Gingerale
Did you at least have some fun?

galled
I think it'd be interesting to try at least once just for the heck of it.

Ovation has some nice designs.
Mine's a Fender electric acoustic and then I have tenor Ukulele from Luna.

Eh-heh, I'm a little snobbish when it comes to touch/feel. I'm usually sensitive to those things. Sound too. With the keyboards I've played on I've always still been able to here the clacking of the keys. I don't know if it's because of the brand, materials, how I'm pressing. Personally I'm just playing for the piano sound so I don't usually use any of the other buttons except maybe the record feature to record some scales or random tunes.

Postby galled » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:44 pm

Lemon has the same Fender. It's a nice guitar.

Although they're pricey, they make keyboards with mechanical keys the same as a real piano so the action/feel is the same. Then most "sounds" are samples of the actual brand and model of pianos. We're in the 21st century and tech has blurred the difference between pianos and electric versions... if you can afford it! Then again real pianos aren't cheap either...

Server Administrator

Postby Polaris » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:01 am

Ah, I did actually! Over there summer while I was back home for break, I found my old viola and tried to play it for old times sake. I still remember all the finger placements on the fingerboard, which is surprising! However, it is a struggle to remember how to read alto clef eheheh; I can read treble better than I can alto, but I played viola longer than I did the violin = u =;;;;

Strings instruments can be a bit tricky, so let me know if you've got any questions! My favorite string orchestra teacher used to tell us to practice your pluckings by "playing your violin like a guitar" and "your viola like a banjo," which honestly felt so weird but it worked! Though I'm sure you've got this one all handled (keep on going wahooo!!). Former fellow string player here for your support!

Return to Hobbies