Stuck on a question? Need ideas or motivation to get you through a project? Ask here.

Website Feedback

Moderator: Ryvvi

Website Feedback

Postby MissAutumn » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:57 am

For the past couple of months I've been doing a beginner's course to web development. For the last assignment I had to make my own website from scratch.

I was wondering if anyone could give me feedback? On how it looks, ways to improve it and how to write better code.

Here's my published website:
https://the-freya.trinket.io/sites/bronte-sisters-guide
(ignore the blurryness of the banner, I lack a good photo editor)

Here's the code:
https://trinket.io/html/5ff43ee6c5

If anyone knows of helpful tutorials for JavaScript I'd be so grateful. I feel like I don't fully understand it and the course barely explained it...

Local time: Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:27 pm

Re: Website Feedback

Postby galled » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:03 am

It looks good!

There are several aspects of web design that users want and one is easy navigation. You might consider giving a better indication of which page the user is currently on since each page looks so similar.

An excellent freeware photo editor is GIMP https://www.gimp.org/

Learning complex subjects like programming is difficult if not impossible to retain if you shotgun it. Your ability to really learn something is by using it in specific purposes--usually by solving a specific problem. Now that you have a good start in the foundation of the basics, look to modify bits you'd like to add or change.

Typically what I do is google the thing I want + "html", so in your case "javascript" + "tutorial." w3schools.com is one of the best online resources. Highly recommended!

Hope this helps!

Server Administrator

Local time: Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:27 am

~Windlyn Daydream by Mouse

Windlyn is so fun,
Windlyn is so grand,
So come on everyone,
All across the land,
Come and join us now,
In this awesome site,
We will show you how,
Talking through the night.
~npixelz

Postby Gingerale » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:04 am

It's looking good! I like the info you are putting in, makes me want to delve deeper into the info!

I don't know if you are just working on the layout and will add more later - here are suggestions I would add/look for to do on a site:

Were you interested in being able to click on the photo of each sister and doing a hyperlink to the information of each (like on another page)? As it stands you have it set so that you are not able to access any other information by clicking on a photo.

For example, on the bottom of the home page you have "links". You could attach these links to your photo's - for example the picture of the parsonage would go to the link for the parsonage. It is an easy find then for people.

Is there a link that people can go to to research the little book collection in more detail or to put more info on the history related to the little books? I loved the idea of the little books, here's a site that allows you to "zoom" into look closer at the little books. (I don't know what the rules are in using images). https://ageofrevolution.org/200-object/ ... tle-books/

It also mentioned that the sisters MADE their own books:
"These ‘little books’, only a few centimetres in size, were hand-made by Charlotte, Emily and Anne. They consist of paper scraps sewn into covers made from everyday items such as sugar bags and wallpaper. "
Were you interested in "padding" or border around the pages? Putting a photo in the background and your title/header "ontop" of the photo?

If you see a website you like, right click the mouse on it, choose inspect and it will show you the code for that site. That might give you a practical look at how the code is written if you like the layout.

Local time: Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:27 am

Postby MissAutumn » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:37 pm

Thanks for both of your in depth feedback. :heart:

galled Thanks for the gimp link. :) That will come in handy. I'll have to look at w3schools further. I used it a lot for CSS and HTML. Navigation needs a lot of work still thanks for the feedback.

Gingerale for this website, I was focusing on the assignment spec so it had to include everything I learnt on the course. Now that it's been peer reviewed I plan on going back and making big changes. I'm slowly building up a portfolio.

I hadn't even thought about a lot of your suggestions - there all really good ideas that I'll use. :cheer:

Thanks again for the feedback. I'll keep you all updated. :)

Local time: Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:27 pm

Postby galled » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:01 am

The greatest skill you can learn with this and most creative things is design. The rest of the stuff is just tools which anyone can learn by following tutorials.

When it comes to web design, I've found it helpful to think about the sites that I have no problem navigating/using and sites that are terrible and then identifying what's right or wrong with each. Copying ideas isn't a bad thing, but once you've done that, you'll be able to get into tweaking these things with own ideas and you'll be well on your way!

Yes, please do keep us updated with your progress!

Server Administrator

Local time: Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:27 am

Return to Homework Help