Talk about all things video game related here.

Smash Bros!

Moderator: Ryvvi

Smash Bros!

Postby TheCakeBoss » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:40 am

So! I was wondering if any of our 3DS-owners had gotten the new Smash Bros yet. I've been playing it a ton with some friends, and so far its been a lot of fun.

Local time: Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:30 am

Re: Smash Bros!

Postby Big Orb » Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:49 pm

Yeah, played it into oblivion the first few days. Still has that horrible Brawl feeling to it, but it's hard to justify any other Smash game when you play Melee as much as I do.

Local time: Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:30 am

Postby ’✖‘ » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:20 am

I've played Super Smash Brothers on different consoles if that counts..? XD
Just a few times at my friends' houses. It was pretty fun!
Unfortunately I have no DS.. D; But if i ever do get one I'll probably play it~

Local time: Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:30 am

Postby Lime » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:42 am

Yeah, I played some different ones for other consoles, but I haven't played the new one yet. D:

People keep gushing about it, so I do wanna try it. I even already have a 3DS.. But I'm so broke, lol.

:L_Wing: :heart: :R_Wing:
it's good to be back
if you see me here and there
feel free to say hey
:wink:
- A Lime Haiku
:L_Wing: :heart: :R_Wing:

Postby Big Orb » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:02 pm

Smash for the 3DS is a really fun game if you have a group of people to play it with that don't have poor internet, because the slightest hiccup can make the game delay your button inputs really badly (which for a fighting game is rough)

On a handheld there's a lack of control over what you can do with your character and you're super limited, which also hinders what fighting games are all about, that and combos. Your combos aren't as nice as you'd want, and after certain %s you can't even combo anymore because people fly too far from one hit, but not far enough to be fatal. Everyone also lives for a ridiculous amount of time compared to other Smash games, which makes floaty characters (characters that have low weight like Peach/Kirby/Jigglypuff/Rosalina/Samus) really annoying to fight against and also super strong with little to no effort.

/rant.

I'M SORRY, I'M A COMPETITIVE SUPER SMASH BROS. MELEE PLAYER AND I HAVE A LOT OF COMPLAINTS.

*goes into timeout*

Postby Lime » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:42 pm

Lmao, nah, it's cool! I didn't even know that stuff. I still wanna try it out, but I was never good at Super Smash Bros. anyways, so it's not like it's crucial for me. ;3;

Also, I played Jigglypuff all the way. <3

Postby Big Orb » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:42 am

jigglypuff is sooooo good in smash 4, especially with how hard it is to kill floaty characters, and she can kill really early, a lot better than most characters can

Postby MystMist » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:38 am

Jigglypuff? Not Kirby?
Never played smash bros xD

Local time: Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:30 pm

Postby Big Orb » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:00 pm

This is one of the strongest versions of Kirby if you don't count Project: M, but Jigglypuff still is 10x better. Her back air is as strong as ever, being an actual killmove and killing as low as 90%, much easier to combo into Rest (Down-B, hitbox is inside of your own body and it's almost instant kill) since the hitbox of Rest is a little bit larger this time around and combos at early %s lock people into a direction (You used to be able to influence what way your body flew when being hit, you can't anymore really, more so just how far you go)

Kirby is really just around to gimp Little Mac it feels. Swallow him and go off stage, you have 6 jumps and Up-B to make it back, Little Mac can't recover for shit in this game.

EDIT: SO THIS IS WHAT I ALWAYS POST WHEN I DEFEND MELEE VERSUS SILLY THINGS LIKE BRAWL AND 4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXgpGBbh5r8 <- Basic and simple Melee technical playstyle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSkCGa_J5wY <- All Brawl consists of mixed with Metaknight. There's no technical skill to Brawl, it's only rolling and spotdodging. Everyone is insanely floaty so combos are nonexistent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS_rV3lfSpY <- One of the more intricate Smash 4 combos, and that's not even that good of a combo. Mind you, this is a professional Melee player (top 30 out of literally hundreds) and also a top 3 Project: M player. Project: M is a fan made mod of Brawl to play more like Melee btw, so this guy is incredibly familiar with technical gameplay and a combo system, and this was one of the best things he could do with the engine. =\

Melee had a lot of movement options and insanely fast gameplay that was rewarded for being technical. The average actions per minute on a gamecube controller for a top tier Melee player actually beats a StarCraft 2 professional player's APM. Brawl was just horrible because it was Sakurai (guy who made Smash) literally admitting he didn't want Smash to be competitive so he made it 100x more casual friendly by eliminating like.. 80% of the tech in Melee, which isn't bad entirely for expanding the audience, but he cut out the competitive side entirely. 4 is kind of like his apology, but it's still Brawl 2.0.

Postby Maro » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:25 pm

I really vvant to play it but idk if I'll be able to get my hands on a copy of it.

Local time: Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:00 pm

Art by - ciel

Postby Sanchicho » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:31 pm

I have it. It's fun.

Postby Maro » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:31 pm

I vvant it ;3;

Local time: Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:00 pm

Postby Sanchicho » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:47 pm

Postby Effusus » Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:02 pm

Where my Project M players at?

Postby MonkeyGirl18 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:39 pm

My bro has it, but I've only played the wii version. I'd much prefer the wii version anyway. :\

Local time: Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:30 am

Next

Return to Video Games