For all things tabletop. Whether it's D&D, or board games.

Role-Playing Games!

Moderator: Ryvvi

Role-Playing Games!

Postby Lime » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:09 am

So, I'm an avid fan of role-playing games. Nothing's like sitting around the table with a bunch of friends, eating terrible food, and laughing over who died or what awesome rolls (or terrible) you managed to pull off.

I've played Dungeons & Dragons, Pathfinder (what I've played majority of), Palladium (which is really cool), and a bit of a DC Universe one, although I can't remember exactly what it was called.

Are any of you guys D&D players? :) And I mean just RPing games in general. Share your stories with me!

Local time: Sat May 11, 2024 8:47 pm

:L_Wing: :heart: :R_Wing:
it's good to be back
if you see me here and there
feel free to say hey
:wink:
- A Lime Haiku
:L_Wing: :heart: :R_Wing:

Re: Role-Playing Games!

Postby Cora » Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:15 pm

I have always wanted to do a face to face sit at a table version of D & D but as I live majority in the country side there just isn't any groups around here. I have played a couple online but most of them died sadly. So mostly I just play forum based games.

Postby Lime » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:26 pm

Ohh, yeah. I live in a big city. It's pretty populated here so there's always someone around, just hard to find them I guess. People like that tend to hide away. ;) I do it too, unfortunately.

It is SO much fun though. Gosh I love it so much. I have a million stories to tell, and it's so amazing when I have friends to share them with, haha. Most of my friends are like "uhh okay cool?" because they don't get the excitement and fun there is in playing D&D, or even roleplaying it. I've never LARP'd though, but I do sit around a table with a bunch of friends in one of our living rooms pretending to be a character. I don't know if that counts.. Lmao.

But yeah, I've been trying to start one online for my internet friends (since I have more of them than real life ones), but they always die down because nobody stays dedicated.

Postby Cora » Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:01 pm

I hear you about having more internet friends then RL friends xP

I think the probably with online versions of D&D is that its hard to get everyone together in the same place. Basically if you are going to someones house to play then you know you all have to sit down and play. If you play online anyone could leave at any moment.

Postby TheCakeBoss » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:22 am

It's funny that this would pop up. Some internet buddies and I just finished our first campaign, and things went surprisingly well despite the lack of experience on all fronts. The whole thing was surprisingly fun, and I see why people really get into this kind of stuff. Admittedly I'm not the best role player (I'm way, way too shy to really 'act') but even so the whole thing was pretty great.

We also had someone talk fire out of existence so, uh, that was interesting.

Local time: Sat May 11, 2024 7:47 pm

Postby Cora » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:33 am

That must have taken some dedication on the part of all involved to get an online game to pull through. I keep trying to get that to work.

Postby Lime » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:22 am

Yeah for sure- while nothing beats being able to sit around together at a table (and eat pizza haha) it is really fun to get people together and play it. I've tried several different ways. A program which let us move tokens around and type to chat in real time, Skype, sometimes they were combined. I've also tried it in a forum-type, except it was obviously slower and had more RPing elements, but I liked it too. It was essentially just a role-play with dice rolls. The forum one I wouldn't mind trying again. It's cool, too. At least I think so- RPs have a bad habit of straying and forgetting the goal. When it's literally quest-inspired, I always found everybody had an easier time doing it and getting further along. It's also a little easier when you can't think of something to post, if you dice roll for something, it essentially tells you what you need to do- so if you roll a 1, you know you have to post up your character doing something silly, in a way. Some people don't like it, but I find it's the perfect balance of freedom and guidelines. :) Haha.

Postby MystMist » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:34 am

I have always wanted to try tabletop roleplaying but i have never done so. If i were to do so it would be over internet but i do not know what site i should be looking for a online tabletop session in.

Local time: Sun May 12, 2024 2:47 am

Postby Lime » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:21 pm

Honestly, I've seen them done soo many different ways. I legit had a group (almost two) that was exclusively on Facebook, if you can believe it! We made a private group and did it that way, haha. It was actually pretty awesome..

I've been wanting to start one up online for so long, but I just never get around to it. Maybe I'll make an easier one on Windlyn for people that can just pop in and out when they want to.

Postby Diana » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:50 pm

Juuuust saying, we do have a fancy pants dice rolling function on the forums here. ;D

Site Admin

Local time: Sat May 11, 2024 5:47 pm

Postby Ryvvi » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:52 pm

Ive always wanted to try to RP esp. games like D&D but some of the ones ive seen were pretty awful ;-; and ive never known how to really get into that sort of thing :(

Local time: Sun May 12, 2024 11:47 am

Ry: Rise of The Innovator 4000 , The Quickening [NOT THE BEEEEESSS Limited Edition]

Postby MystMist » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:14 pm

If you do make one here on windlyn count me in just give me some warning so i have a couple of days to read the right books and understand the rules.

Postby TheCakeBoss » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:36 am

I'd be more than up for joining one. I've started getting into Pathfinder again, and something that's play-by-post would be great.

Postby MystMist » Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:52 am

play-by-post?

Postby Hocus Pocus » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:14 am

I've played D&D, Mage, Vampire, Call of Cthulhu, Paranoia.
I'm not very good at roleplaying, I don't like verbally having to act like my character.
Only reason I've played so much is because of my boyfriend, I do it for him.

Next

Return to Tabletop