Sculpting, jewelry making, sewing, knitting, photography- Anything that uses your hands!

Steampunk

Moderator: Ryvvi

Steampunk

Postby Shakespeare » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:59 pm

So I've been falling in love with everything to do with steampunk. For a birthday I got a really nice bracelet and sparrow clockwork necklace. But I want to start making my own. I recently bought a bunch of old watch parts but I just don't know where to start.
I also like the idea of spray painting a nerf gun in bronze, gold and silver colours.

So does anyone know of any good sites or books that I can check out?
Can also chat about anything else to do with making steampunk clothes, jewelry, etc.

Local time: Sun May 12, 2024 10:26 am

Image Image

Re: Steampunk

Postby Diana » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:34 pm

I know threadbanger has some steampunk themed sewing tutorials, not sure about gadgets though. . I think they have one for goggles and something else? I dunno. lol.

My club went to AX last year, and we had a whole steampunk cosplay day, it was fun. 8D We just looked online for pictures of cool stuff, and then tried to reproduce them.
Steampunk is cool, but for premade stuff it's sooooo expensive. DIY all the wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy haha.

Site Admin

Local time: Sat May 11, 2024 4:26 pm

Postby Shakespeare » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:37 pm

I can't really sew, but maybe I could try it lol We have a sewing machine, so I could get mum to help me.

I know right?? Seriously expensive... That's why I wanted to try making it myself. Plus it looks fun lol

Postby Lime » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:30 am

Ugh I agree with Diana. DIY it all the way.

I looove Steampunk stuff, omg. It's so beautiful and classy. And it does look really fun! Haha.

I've made very few things that are steampunk-related, mostly just jewelry. But it's hard enough finding the right parts and stuff. You should look on DeviantArt for tutuorials maybe? :)

Local time: Sat May 11, 2024 7:26 pm

:L_Wing: :heart: :R_Wing:
it's good to be back
if you see me here and there
feel free to say hey
:wink:
- A Lime Haiku
:L_Wing: :heart: :R_Wing:

Postby Shakespeare » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:05 am

Yeah, super fun lol

I haven't made anything yet... >w> which is annoying, since I have all these cool watch parts.
Never thought to look on Deviantart owo But I'll see what I can find.
Mum also said I should look at the library and see if they have any good books on jewelry making.

Postby Lime » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:35 am

Yeah, for sure. I find lots of helpful tutorials on DeviantArt for random things. It IS mostly drawing, but you can find some cool DIY things. Sometimes you just gotta look a little. Otherwise, maybe try Pinterest? I don't use it, but I know there's like, a billion things on there. From what I've seen, it looks like a Tumblr but instead of fandoms and gif sets it's all DIY posts. Lmao. OR SO I THINK ANYWAYS. At least it was a year or two back when I actually looked at it.

Postby Shakespeare » Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:10 am

I actually have pinterest! lol That's where I got the idea for spray painting a nerf gun... Although not all the posts on there are DIY. A lot of them link you to ETSY, a website where people sell jewelry and such.

Postby Lime » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:26 am

Wait, really? Yeah, I was going to make myself an Etsy for my art prints eventually when I built up more stock. But man, that's a little crappy. Pinterest (at least like two years ago, or a year or whatever) was literally ALL DIY stuff, and it was really cool stuff too! I'm sure they still have a lot, but. It's the only thing I could think of, haha.

Postby Shakespeare » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:14 pm

Oh yeah, there's a whole section called DIY now, but whenever I specifically look for steampunk, it's not always DIY. lol But I'm getting there, slowly.

Postby Diana » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:00 pm

I have never seen any diy-how-to things on pinterest. Only things that would be tutorials/whatever don't link anywhere. D:<
And amg etsy. I was going to make one, but you have to pay to list stuff, I think per month. which is so dumb.

Shakes: If you have something specific you want to make, or a type of crafting you'd want to go down (like sewing, jewelry, gadgets, etc.) it'd be easy to search for tutorials. lol.

Site Admin

Postby Shakespeare » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:09 pm

Yeah, that is the annoying thing about pinterest. All these amazing ideas and they don't show how to do them. >w>

Should probably have tutorials in my search words then lol

Postby Lime » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:05 am

Diana is AMAZING at finding tutorials for anything and everything. Trust her. Lmao! She always finds whatever I'm looking for. <3

And man, that sucks. I wish it didn't change. I liked how it used to be. But meh, haven't gone on it anyways so. Not like it bothers me any.

But yeah, I wanted to find out how Etsy worked, because I want to start selling my prints more. But meh, right now I have enough piled up for people I know. So I keep putting it off until my list clears up.

Postby Diana » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:48 am

Lime wrote:Diana is AMAZING at finding tutorials for anything and everything. Trust her. Lmao! She always finds whatever I'm looking for. <3

Man. if you know what you want, I can probably find a tutorial on it. Or explain it to you. lol. imawesome eue

Site Admin

Postby Shakespeare » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:29 pm

So I found some tutorials. But now I just need the equipment and such x3

Postby Lime » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:52 pm

Well good luck! I know it can be pretty crappy finding the right materials for things. I live in a big city, but since I'm in Canada we have a surprisingly different stock of things Americans do. I can never find what I really want, LOL.

Next

Return to Crafts