Sculpting, jewelry making, sewing, knitting, photography- Anything that uses your hands!

Origami

Moderator: Ryvvi

Origami

Postby MonkeyGirl18 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:36 pm

So I got an origami thing for Christmas though I had absolutely no interest in origami and I started reading the instructions on the very first thing to make in the book, which is how to make animals, and the first was a carrier pigeon. It should be easy, but their instructions are so unclear, I am lost now and frustrated and want to burn the whole thing.

So I made this thread, you can talk about it, give me advice, help me burn this crap, whatever.

Local time: Thu May 09, 2024 2:56 am

Re: Origami

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:09 pm

I've tried to do Oigami but my brain just doesn't seem to navigate the instructions very well - unless I have someone doing a step by step live action tutorial, I am hopeless.

Now there are others who don't even seem to need the instructions and whip shapes out of the paper.

Local time: Thu May 09, 2024 12:56 am

Postby MonkeyGirl18 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:18 pm

This book just goes beyond comprehension. It has terrible reviews, if any reviews at all. Left mine on Amazon.

Postby Kitalpha Hart » Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:21 pm

My brother loves origami
Over on Kongregate there's some origami games, if those are of any help

It might be that you were given one meant for those already experienced with origami, so it assumes that you already know some things so skip the basics

hangout|art shop|card shop
BUTT CAPES
I need mah butt capes!
ImageImage

Postby MonkeyGirl18 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:35 pm

No, I think it's for everyone, but the way the steps are written is just horrible.
I can take a picture of what I mean.

Postby Ryvvi » Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:32 am

oh my goooodddddd origami and paper based things
nopenopenopenope
i am all kinds of terrible at it! if you wanted to try it properly with better instructions maybe google easier ones? or just burn it all! works too

Local time: Thu May 09, 2024 6:56 pm

Ry: Rise of The Innovator 4000 , The Quickening [NOT THE BEEEEESSS Limited Edition]

Postby Akuyi » Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:15 am

I love origami, but I agree that most instructions are terrible to read. I almost never get it right based on that. Watching people fold those origami on youtube helps a lot though!

Local time: Thu May 09, 2024 8:56 am

Questing with my trusty steed Oculus in the lands of Vee-Ar.

Postby MonkeyGirl18 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:26 am

The instructions were the worst part. It's not the terminology, but the fact that the instructions are broken up.

Postby I Shall Engrave » Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:33 am

I actually have dexterity for origami. I have several instructional books. Once you get accustomed to the different kinds of folds and everything it's not that difficult.

Local time: Wed May 08, 2024 11:56 pm

Postby MonkeyGirl18 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:42 am

I mean, I can probably pick it up quickly, the instructions were just confusing because they weren't clear.

Postby Diana » Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:47 pm

Ah~ I love origami! 3D geometric origiami is the most fun, I think. Other than that I'll make cranes or flowers, or stars when I'm board in class or waiting for anything.

There are a lot of sites (and phone apps!) that walk you through (with interactive videos) some basic origami figures to help you get used to how it all works. All books tend to be written/diagrammed differently which makes it kind of hard to follow sometimes; but once you get a feel for it, I'm sure you'll be making all kinds of stuff in no time. :)

Site Admin

Local time: Thu May 09, 2024 12:56 am

Postby Chii » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:10 am

Oh my I'm so happy there's a topic about this :D

A few weeks back, I found my new hobby, which you can probably tell, is origami! I bought some origami paper with a different pattern on each side. It looks really cool :D

I don't get instructions from a book. I rather just look on youtube for videos and pause those videos after every step :)

I love this channel the most and I get inspiration from it: https://www.youtube.com/user/jonakashima
He's so talented!

I got a lot of frustration in the beginning, but it gave me a lot of satisfaction when I finished my first animal in a pretty correct way ^^ I hope you will too eventually

Local time: Thu May 09, 2024 9:56 am

Postby MonkeyGirl18 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:12 am

Eh, probably not. I don't really have interest in learning origami. I only tried it because I was given an origami thing for Christmas. I asked for a book and I got origami things instead..... Not from my parents, though, they know I wouldn't like it. They only get me what I ask for. My grandma got it for me, despite asking me and my siblings for a list of things we want, 3 things, and I churned out 3 things because I never know what I want, lol. But origami wasn't on the list, so yeah.

Postby Chii » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:27 am

Awhh well :c Maybe you can give it to a friend for his/her birthday? Maybe he/she likes it. Don't know xD

Local time: Thu May 09, 2024 9:56 am

Postby MonkeyGirl18 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:28 am

I don't think my friends like or are interested in origami either.

Next

Return to Crafts