Read a good book lately and want to talk about it? Need suggestions on what to read next? Want to start a book club? Write your own literature? This is the place to be!

What are you currently reading?

Moderator: Ryvvi

Re: What are you currently reading?

Postby Polaris » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:05 pm

Rereading Lord of the Flies for an assignment (it's a good thing I like the book, because otherwise it'd just feel tedious)

Local time: Thu May 09, 2024 2:51 am

Quest Thread

"Smile at me when you see this flower later..."

Image(click for artist)

Postby GreenInkling » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:20 pm

I am reading The Driver's Seat by Muriel Spark. :3

Local time: Wed May 08, 2024 10:51 pm

Postby GreenInkling » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:21 pm

Polaris wrote:Rereading Lord of the Flies for an assignment (it's a good thing I like the book, because otherwise it'd just feel tedious)

It's a good book but also of depressing. ^^;

Local time: Wed May 08, 2024 10:51 pm

Postby galled » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:07 pm

I can't remember how the book was (the writing), but the story is very powerful. They made a good movie too, but it really brought out a lot of emotions (depression, anxiety, anger perhaps too). A skillful job, but I think the subject and story did most of the heavy lifting. ;)

Server Administrator

Local time: Wed May 08, 2024 11:51 pm

~Windlyn Daydream by Mouse

Windlyn is so fun,
Windlyn is so grand,
So come on everyone,
All across the land,
Come and join us now,
In this awesome site,
We will show you how,
Talking through the night.
~npixelz

Postby Kyndreth » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:43 pm

I'm reading.... um... The "rebirth of the malicious empress of military lineage"

Local time: Thu May 09, 2024 12:51 am

Kyndreth's Story Thread | Kyndreth's Pets

Kyndreth Sings Discord Link!
Thursdays 7pm CDT

Postby Diana » Thu May 11, 2017 11:09 am

I have been reading quite a few books lately!

For class I am reading Fagles' translation of The Oddessy (for at least the fourth time, ugh!). Last week was the Oedipus plays, before that, Plato's Symposium.

For fun I am reading Living Dolls. So far, it is a pretty cool history of automatons and the quest for creating artificial life. It is a bit of a mix between a philosophy book and a nonfiction.

My coworkers were really sweet and put together a care package for me since I have been so sick, and they included some books! I just finished I am Legend. I was warned it was nothing like the movie (it is not), but I couldnt help thinking "this is exactly like Last Man on Earth". Lo and behold, it was the inspiration for that movie. haha. It is interesting that the novel was written 20 years before it takes place. I had a hard time with it in some places, it may have been spooky if there was more detailed description of the people and places, but the vagueness made it difficult to imagine. Perhaps the lack of details comes from imagining a world without any of the technology (computers, solar power, etc) that are so common today and having to write a story that is "believeable" in the 1950's. Or maybe I have gotten used to the sensory overload described in cyberpunk novels.

I also recently finished Neuromancer. I really enjoyed this one. I managed to grab it while it was on sale on google play. It wasn't as thought provoking as Snow Crash, or The Diamond Age (the other two in the triumphant of cyberpunk novels), but it was interesting to read alongside Living Dolls, and explore the questions of what is life.

Site Admin

Postby Bassy » Fri May 12, 2017 9:25 am

What is your major Diana, I think you may have mentioned it or not? Or are you taking a literature class that you really like?
I hope you feel better, too.

For class, I had to read a book from a list and I chose Kivalina: A climate change story. But it was more essay written, and barely talked about Kivalina. Passed that book presentation though lol.
Now that I am out for the summer, I need to finish the Great Gatsby, and start reading Sister Queens. I am all about historical/rennaisance type genre. All thanks to the TV show Reign. The writers and directors couldn't have a better cast. I recommend that show, it's great, though it is a little hard to follow, it is really good if you really pay attention. Then maybe I can get started on my other books.

Local time: Thu May 09, 2024 1:51 am

Please feed and hold my pokemon?

Soup’s Pokémon!

Postby Diana » Fri May 12, 2017 10:26 am

I'm majoring in software engineering. I'm taking "Great Books: Classical Literature" for GE credit (falls under "advanced literature"). I thought it would be easy and I could float by without too much effort, I took three years of Latin in highschool. Turns out my class is greek literature only. oops.

Dang your school ends early! I have 5 weeks left. D:

I've probably mentioned this before (probably even in this thread lol) but I am so not a fan of The Great Gatsby. I'm interested to hear what you think about it when you are done reading it.

Site Admin

Postby Bassy » Fri May 12, 2017 6:46 pm

5 weeks? That is late too me haha. All other colleges in my state ended before mine did. But It could depend on when you start. We usually start mid-august. Some places in other states start in september.

Postby galled » Sat May 13, 2017 12:29 am

I love THE GREAT GATSBY story (book not so much) and first movie. Hated the second one...

Server Administrator

Postby Bassy » Sat May 13, 2017 9:27 am

I watched scenes of the first movie. I loved the second one. Why do people hate it so much? lol. I am a person who likes things that other people don't like. I'm just unique in that way. I like the book so far.

Postby galled » Sat May 13, 2017 10:02 am

I'd describe it as the 2nd one was style over substance, whereas the first one was about Gatsby and the nature of love and how powerful and destructive it can be. The 2nd one glossed all of that over in favor of beautiful visuals. The 1st one had a had beautiful art deco visuals too, but it purposely had an underlying grit to contrast the depression. So the 2nd was more fantasy with a superficial telling of the story and missed the characters almost completely.

Server Administrator

Postby Bassy » Sat May 13, 2017 10:13 am

Until I finish the book, I will see if I hate it lol. I guess it's because it has two of my favorite actors in there. I never seen the first one, maybe a scene because I walked into class with the movie nearly ending, i think.

Postby Cloudy » Thu May 25, 2017 4:45 am

Reading Grendel by John Gardner

Funny, but also poor Grendel D:

Local time: Thu May 09, 2024 2:51 am

Check these out!
VOCALOID Cosplay & Chat

Stay chill

Postby Bassy » Tue May 30, 2017 1:07 pm

What is Grendel about? To me it sounds like a...what you call it... a small village story during the renaissance period. Probably because of the name.

PreviousNext

Return to The Reading Nook