Read a good book lately and want to talk about it? Need suggestions on what to read next? Want to start a book club? Write your own literature? This is the place to be!

What are you currently reading?

Moderator: Ryvvi

Re: What are you currently reading?

Postby Cloudy » Tue May 30, 2017 7:44 pm

So, Grendel is about the monster Grendel from the Old English epic poem called "Beowulf." The original epic poem depicts Grendel as the epitome of all evil (basically hairy monster Satan), but the book "Grendel" tells the story of "Beowulf" through Grendel's eyes. In this novel, Grendel is basically the antihero (like an Old English Batman(?))

It's kinda funny where Grendel learns about all the types/schools/thoughts of philosophy (like when he gets to understand Nihilism), plus it shows that everything isn't always (or ever)just "black and white."

Cool book, cool beans

Local time: Fri May 10, 2024 3:40 pm

Check these out!
VOCALOID Cosplay & Chat

Stay chill

Postby MonkeyGirl18 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:21 am

I'm going to try and force myself to reread and finish Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell so that I can review it and tell people why I hate it and why I don't recommend the book, lol.

I gotta give that book a needed review (one lots of people already gave, lol.)

It at least gave me inspiration to write a book that I've been wanting to read.

Local time: Fri May 10, 2024 2:40 pm

Postby Bassy » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:46 am

Cloudy wrote:So, Grendel is about the monster Grendel from the Old English epic poem called "Beowulf." The original epic poem depicts Grendel as the epitome of all evil (basically hairy monster Satan), but the book "Grendel" tells the story of "Beowulf" through Grendel's eyes. In this novel, Grendel is basically the antihero (like an Old English Batman(?))

It's kinda funny where Grendel learns about all the types/schools/thoughts of philosophy (like when he gets to understand Nihilism), plus it shows that everything isn't always (or ever)just "black and white."

Cool book, cool beans

Why... did I not think of that... be and my friend in High School would joke around about Beowulf. We would even put our names and date on our assignments as Beowulf. Maybe that word didn't occur to me real easily lol.

We would even joke around about Edgar Allen Po, with saying "Nevermore" with a creepy laugh, which was hysterical.

Please feed and hold my pokemon?

Soup’s Pokémon!

Postby ScratchedRecord » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:51 am

I'm currently re-reading 50 Australian Crimes of the 20th Century

Local time: Sat May 11, 2024 4:40 am

Postby murmurlade » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:21 am

currently reading the computer science of human decisions~ it talks about the mathematical algorithms that we should use in our daily lives

Local time: Sat May 11, 2024 3:40 am

----------------------------------------
taugeeee @ twitter / deviantart / gaia
currently: questing bubble wings

always semi-hiatus due to work
please ping me if you want a reply.
----------------------------------------

Postby Valentine Strange » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:38 pm

I just finished reading A Wrinkle in Time. I didn't really see what everyone was talking about. I am glad that it wrapped everything up with her brother (because it looks like there are more books to form a quintet), but I just didn't think it was as good as everyone said it was. I read it because there is a movie coming out which I am actually looking forward to, but unlike how I usually am, I'm not looking forward to the movie because of how alike the movie is to the book but because of how different the movie appears to be from the book.

Local time: Fri May 10, 2024 3:40 pm

Postby Gorirakujira » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:48 pm

Hi book readers/lovers!

I’m currently reading Stephen Kings 11/22/63. Has anyone read or heard of it? I highly recommend it.

Postby murmurlade » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:04 am

Time to revive this thread. I've been reading chinese novels- "恰似寒光遇骄阳" is something that's been driving me crazy recently because I spoiled myself for the ending and I can't wait to get to the action bits!!

Postby MissAutumn » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:45 am

I currently have two books on the go.

I'm reading The Queen of Dark Things by CA Cargill. It's an urban fantasy novel and is book 2 in the series.

My other book is Hard Times by Charles Dickens. One of his shorter books.

Local time: Fri May 10, 2024 7:40 pm

Postby Adol Christin » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:44 pm

Mandarin Gate by Eliot Patison.
Shan, an ex detective turned convict for digging too far in the communist party of china, is outcast to Tibet where he maintains irrigation ditches. A murder in the ruins of a monastery turns his life upside down again as he must race the clock to find and protect the American witness, while figuring out the motives of the killer.

你好! 我叫张伟。很高兴认识你。
Hello! I'm Zhang Wei. I'm happy to meet you.
Easy confused.

Questing Yin Cha themed hang out

Postby MissAutumn » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:58 am

No Priest but Love - The Secret Diaries of Miss Anne Lister edited by Helen Whitbread.

Extracts from a diary written by a 19th century lesbian. She was amazing woman in what she achieved (running her own coal mine, incredibly intelligent, etc). I'm not really a fan of her personality though. She could be manipulative and was a bit of a snob. Lister has had a show made about her called Gentleman Jack recently.

Postby juliewolffang64 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:35 pm

Recently finished was AstroNuts. I admit it's a kids book but considering how long it's been since I've say down and read through a book completely - especially when the previous book (Simon Snow Trilogy: Carry On) was dropped in the middle - I needed to ease myself back into reading more.

My current read is Japan 1941 by Eri Hotta. Fair warning to those that are not too keen on the subject of this book, there's a lot of talk on World War 2 a bit... Regardless, it's rather interesting to see how things in Japan led to trying to get the U.S. involved. The author does point out that it's not meant to apologize and justify Japan's actions back then and I can see why they noted that in the introduction.

Local time: Fri May 10, 2024 1:40 pm

:L_Wing: She/her + he/him; Genderfluid Ace :R_Wing:
Autistic, Anxiety, and Introverted :worry:

Postby Cilencio Cerbera » Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:33 am

Currently tryna finish the Sherlock series

Postby MissAutumn » Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:38 am

Currently reading:

The Luminaries by Eleanor Catton - a historical fiction about a series of mysteries in a New Zealand colony during the Victorian period.

Black and British by David Olusoga - A non-fiction book exploring black British history. Contrary to popular belief there has always been a community of black people living here (a lot of them freemen) for centuries. There is archaeological evidence of people originally from Africa immigrating to Britain during the Roman period. There were black people employed as musicians in the Tudor Royal Court, etc.

The Manningtree Witches by A. K. Blackmore - a historical fiction about the Manningtree (Essex, England) witch trials in the 1640s.

Postby Gingerale » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:10 am

The Luminaries is also a new drama mystery! It must be the same: An intricately woven, suspenseful tale of love, murder, magic and revenge set in New Zealand at the height of the 1860s gold rush, based on the Man Booker prize-winning novel."

The Romans that invaded Britain had black Roman Citizens in their garrison's (from conquering part of Africa and from being in close proximity to Africa) and there was even a black Caesar in Rome. All you have to do is look through history to find that there have been powerful rulers of every race and productive people and scientists, artists, from every culture.

I had a dream someone gave me a book to read and I was carrying it around all over but dang if I can recall what the book was called or reading it!

Local time: Fri May 10, 2024 11:40 am

PreviousNext

Return to The Reading Nook