Read a good book lately and want to talk about it? Need suggestions on what to read next? Want to start a book club? Write your own literature? This is the place to be!

Art Journaling!

Moderator: Ryvvi

Re: Art Journaling!

Postby GreenInkling » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:22 pm

Oh, a blackout poem, I've heard of those!
They're sort of like found poetry.

I used to keep art journals several years ago but I've got so busy.
And I have so many hobbies to keep up with! :cry:

Local time: Thu May 02, 2024 9:26 am

Postby Kyndreth » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:40 pm

Daaang, Mousy's art journaling is impressive.

Local time: Thu May 02, 2024 11:26 am

Kyndreth's Story Thread | Kyndreth's Pets

Kyndreth Sings Discord Link!
Thursdays 7pm CDT

Postby silverberry » Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:02 am

I see this is already a thread topic - I hope it's fine to bump it back up!

I would love to start an art journal, but I'm already using mine as some combo planner/bullet journal/scrap book/general ramblings and notes journal, so I have no idea how I would even begin incorporating that. At the moment I have a separate sketchpad (for doodling and playing around, mostly. I rarely 'finish' a drawing), but I was thinking it would be easier for me if I somehow combined it with my journal too!

Maybe I could make a traveler's notebook? To mash them all together without being too disorganized??
@_@

Also! How do you... get to complete a page? I feel like finishing a good spread/page would take a lot of time.

Local time: Fri May 03, 2024 1:26 am

https://windlynonline.com/cgi-bin/forums/event/eggHunt/partyCrasher2.png

They/them
Hangout Thread | CK Art Album

Images used belongs to Windlyn and their artists - slightly edited to prevent confusion for current event.

Postby Cilencio Cerbera » Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:06 am

silverberry wrote:Also! How do you... get to complete a page? I feel like finishing a good spread/page would take a lot of time.

Idk we just draw at every nook and cranny

or

Draw one chibi at a small section of the page, while leaving a huge part blank. It's a minimalist approach, but that smol thing usually held sufficient meaning and/or expression onto it

Postby silverberry » Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:21 am

I see. Thanks!!

The problem with just letting myself doodle whatever is that it'll turn the page really messy and disorganized fast. Also, the doodles tend to be random and meaningless you've seen the ice cream doodle HAHAHAHA.

Time to experiment with it on next year's journal!

Postby Watery Star » Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:44 pm

I got a nice large journal last year that I planned to use as an art journal. I've only done swatches/ tested watercolor in it though. Found that just bullet journaling and being simple is what I kind of need to do at the moment.
Recently I started doodling in a dotepad(notepad but it has dotted lines) alongside my list of tasks and notes.
It's helping me ease into incorporating art more when writing.

Local time: Thu May 02, 2024 12:26 pm

Postby Cilencio Cerbera » Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:01 am

silverberry wrote:The problem with just letting myself doodle whatever is that it'll turn the page really messy and disorganized fast. Also, the doodles tend to be random and meaningless you've seen the ice cream doodle HAHAHAHA.

Time to experiment with it on next year's journal!

Disorganized and messy doodles has its own charm to it, sometimes the more messy it is, the nicer it looks. AHAHAAHAHAH That ice cream doodle is attractive on it's own, it brings laughter and moments of 'wtf' upon looking at it XDDDDD

Remember that curseth doodle ya made with the new fountain pen ink? That one is hella awesome XDDDD Looks like some demonic scroll, I dig those shets

Postby Cilencio Cerbera » Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:03 am

Watery Star wrote:I got a nice large journal last year that I planned to use as an art journal. I've only done swatches/ tested watercolor in it though. Found that just bullet journaling and being simple is what I kind of need to do at the moment.
Recently I started doodling in a dotepad(notepad but it has dotted lines) alongside my list of tasks and notes.
It's helping me ease into incorporating art more when writing.

Dotepad is awesome af to be used for both drawing and writing ToT Wanted to buy one after seeing Sil has it, it provides users with more flexibility to work around the pages, all while not appearing to have some sort of 'awkward lines'.

Postby silverberry » Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:22 am

Watery Star
AH yes, swatching, the first thing I do everytime I get a new notebook or paper ahuhu

I love dotted paper!! Wished I knew about those sooner - would have been great when I had classes. I needed graphs and tables like a lot and the lines always got in the way, but I wasn't confident enough that I could write neatly on blank paper.

I used to buy an undated weekly planner and then a smaller, monthly one, along with my regular journal.It's only recently that I switched to bujo. I'm still figuring out a system, but I'm p sure I want a monthlies and weeklies, some space for personal/private writing, space for jotting down ideas to return to, and maybe some free brainstorming pages.

Cilencio Cerbera
AHAHAHA even I get confused af at past!me's out-of-context doodles and writings. I'm gonna try out just doodling random things along with writing and see how it'll go xD

SMH I still don't see how it's ""cursed"" I just slapped shapes and lines there.

The "cursed" doodle done while I was testing out fountain pen ink.
[+] SPOILER

Ice Cream Doodle I have no idea what it was about.
[+] SPOILER

Postby Cilencio Cerbera » Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:36 am

HAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAH
THE ICE CREAM DOODLES GETS ME EVERYTIME GDI OMGGGG!!!
The ice cream signifies the surrendering of mankind to pleasure of nectarous lifestyle; The state of having to use little to no brain at all based on the enormous jelly fish symbolism. Ah yes, such meaningful art indeed. *strokes beard*
-//SLAPPEDHARD HAAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHA

HOOOOOY The curseth one legit be looking like some tome book LMAOOOOO

Postby Watery Star » Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:34 pm

silverberry You're handwritting is so neat!
That ice cream screams "cursed" more than the other doodles.
Looks like you have a good idea, good luck with your bujo in the upcoming year!

Cilencio Cerbera: The dotpad has been so nice to jot things down and doodle a bit if I don't feel like swapping to a sketchbook. I have a pocket bujo that I wait until I can organize everything together.
Sometimes I just go on my PC and try to write about the week so I have it written down and can edit etc. Then transcribe into my bujo.

Postby Cilencio Cerbera » Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:21 am

Yoooow pocket bujo is a blessing to have ToT! It's convenient to jot down messy ideas and even random doodles. Looking back at it tends to be very fun XD especially after we'd almost filled the bujo with so many scribbles

Some people with touchscreen laptops or iPads would use an app in there to doodle and jot down notes, then print out the notes of the day and file it together. That's convenient if one frequently make mistakes, but not so handy for long distance usage.

Postby galled » Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:41 pm

My handwriting has gotten so bad, I have a hard time reading it on pen and paper--and digital only makes it worse! :/

Server Administrator

Local time: Thu May 02, 2024 10:26 am

~Windlyn Daydream by Mouse

Windlyn is so fun,
Windlyn is so grand,
So come on everyone,
All across the land,
Come and join us now,
In this awesome site,
We will show you how,
Talking through the night.
~npixelz

Postby Watery Star » Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:43 pm

I don't have great penmanship, so typing helps so that I can figure out what I want to say without worrying about mistakes because I can edit it. When I transcribe those word documents into my bujo I can then practice my handwriting. I'm also able to be more concise and even remember something I had previously forgotten.

I like having a tangible journal although rereading even when taking to to write neatly it's still not easy read my own handwriting. ^_^;

Postby silverberry » Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:21 am

Cilencio Cerbera wrote:The ice cream signifies the surrendering of mankind to pleasure of nectarous lifestyle; The state of having to use little to no brain at all based on the enormous jelly fish symbolism. Ah yes, such meaningful art indeed. *strokes beard*
I'm WHEEZING A+ ART ANALYSIS HAAHAHAH

Cilencio Cerbera wrote:HOOOOOY The curseth one legit be looking like some tome book LMAOOOOO
*squinting* I still can't see how it looks like that but I'll take your for it HAHAHAH

Watery Star wrote:You're handwritting is so neat!
That ice cream screams "cursed" more than the other doodles.
Looks like you have a good idea, good luck with your bujo in the upcoming year!
Thank you!
AHAHA IDK if it's better that I've forgotten the context and never wrote it down, but it's hilarious everytime I see it.

--

I only draft what I want to write digitally if it's something that needs to be submitted, like some class requirement or something. Usually, I just end up rambling and word vomiting into the page. The spelling and grammar errors make me facepalm sometimes hahah but it gives the writing some form of authenticity. It's private writing meant for myself only, so it's fine to be messy with it.

IDK about penmanship - I'm fairly sure mine is legible enough at least. The only advice I have is to be slow and deliberate while writing. The slower pace helps me digest what I want to write before putting it to paper, and keeps the handwriting less messy.
Also having to go through two technical drafting classes where there's a specific FONT that needs to be followed in lettering really makes you become conscious with your strokes lksdjflsdj

PreviousNext

Return to The Reading Nook