Read a good book lately and want to talk about it? Need suggestions on what to read next? Want to start a book club? Write your own literature? This is the place to be!

Help! Tips needed!

Moderator: Ryvvi

Help! Tips needed!

Postby npixelz » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:04 am

Hello, I am a writer in training, (training myself) and I would appreciate it if you helped me!
If you could post some tips, tricks, and tools, to aid me in writing, I would be ever so grateful.
I will try to go through the tips I already have written down and post them myself.
I also would like feedback for my ideas, and I'd love to hear yours!
Oh! One more thing, if there are any books, sites, or other related articles about writing, that you think would be a good resource, or any books that you think have good writing in them, please tell me.
Thank you all.

Local time: Fri May 10, 2024 6:06 am

Currently seeking event items
Minecraft guild
Owner of many titles
Creator of many forum games
The Fairy Garden is my main place, but you'll also find me in other hangouts
Lastly, much love to everyone, and remember; Positive Mental Attitude!
Keep being awesome
:L_Wing: :heart: :R_Wing:

Re: Help! Tips needed!

Postby npixelz » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:05 am

List of resources
http://www.springhole.net/writing/index.html
dis one is a list of Transition Words and Phrases you could use for reference in case you get stuck (also great for essay writing)

Plot/Scenario Generators - when I was befallen with writer's block and could not, for the love of the universe, think of something to write about I visited these sites:
RP Generator - generates plot for an RP, but I used it as an idea reference
Genre, Plot, and Story Prompt Generators - this one's basically a big fat masterpost of a bunch of generators the site offers
Random Plot Generator - I like this one a lot because it helps you build a plot and you can change an element (e.g. main character) until you get a random one that you like (it also helps you figure out what you want to write about, but I also recommend taking the random challenge and writing whatever the generator gives you)
Random Quick Plot Generator - this is like the previous one, but gives you the entire plot already so you can't really change any elements without changing the whole thing
I've found some writing tips on Pinterest that might be helpful: https://www.pinterest.com/WateryStar/writing-tips/
Tips for characters and some vocabulary.
What great timing! NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) is just around the corner! :D
Their forums provide a lot of resources/writing exercises/prompts as well as writers of all skill level coming together to bounce ideas off each other. It requires an account to view and post, but it's completely free to join.
If you want that "live" experience, their calendar events have Virtual Write-Ins where they simulate a writing session, and real life events (such as participating in local libraries). You can find if there's one near you here: http://nanowrimo.org/regions

Postby Akuyi » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:33 am

I've only ever done forum roleplays, but what helped me the most in getting better at it was reading lots of books and to just keep writing.

I cannot really talk about tips for writing a book through, sorry. :x

Local time: Fri May 10, 2024 12:06 pm

Questing with my trusty steed Oculus in the lands of Vee-Ar.

Postby npixelz » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:47 am

Thanks! I love reading so I'll have no problem with that!
It's ok if you don't have tips! If you have ideas or just wanna chat, you can do that!
This may be a writing based thread, but you can talk about other things too!

Postby galled » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:58 am

What kind books are you interested in writing?

Server Administrator

Local time: Fri May 10, 2024 4:06 am

~Windlyn Daydream by Mouse

Windlyn is so fun,
Windlyn is so grand,
So come on everyone,
All across the land,
Come and join us now,
In this awesome site,
We will show you how,
Talking through the night.
~npixelz

Postby Akuyi » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:10 am

Oh, I also found this page pretty helpful!

http://www.springhole.net/writing/index.html

It gives a lot of tips for writing, character design and other stuff. :D

Local time: Fri May 10, 2024 12:06 pm

Postby Polaris » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:56 pm

I don't know what kind of writing you might be into or what kind of tips you're looking for, but I've got some tips for fiction writing. I used to write but now it's kinda... ehh, I really should get back into writing. Here are some links I've collected over the years:

dis one is a list of Transition Words and Phrases you could use for reference in case you get stuck (also great for essay writing)

Plot/Scenario Generators - when I was befallen with writer's block and could not, for the love of the universe, think of something to write about I visited these sites:
RP Generator - generates plot for an RP, but I used it as an idea reference
Genre, Plot, and Story Prompt Generators - this one's basically a big fat masterpost of a bunch of generators the site offers
Random Plot Generator - I like this one a lot because it helps you build a plot and you can change an element (e.g. main character) until you get a random one that you like (it also helps you figure out what you want to write about, but I also recommend taking the random challenge and writing whatever the generator gives you)
Random Quick Plot Generator - this is like the previous one, but gives you the entire plot already so you can't really change any elements without changing the whole thing

EDIT: alsoooo, if you ever need any peer or beta reading I can help you out with that :cheer: :cheer:

Local time: Fri May 10, 2024 7:06 am

Quest Thread

"Smile at me when you see this flower later..."

Image(click for artist)

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:24 pm

write down ideas as they come to you - doesn't mean you have to write a whole story immediately but you might be able to use the ideas later.

Postby npixelz » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:05 am

Thank you for your resources!
In answer to the question of what type of writing; fiction, most genres just not comedy or horror.
Thank you so much!

Postby galled » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:47 am

I was a professional writer, columnist and best-selling book author in a previous life, and penned several screenplays so perhaps I can help a little. I also owned a publishing company way back when and have completed deals with a national and international publishers, so I know a bit about how it all works.

Do you have any specific questions?

The best general tips I can offer are:
- Do most of your writing in your head or on paper (notes, outline, etc.) before writing
- Knowing your ending first and working backwards will net a complete story
- The tougher the trials your put your characters through, the more dramatic/engaging it'll be

I can elaborate on each of these points, but that's the short list.

Good luck!

Server Administrator

Postby Mousy » Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:22 pm

I have literally nothing to add because I stink at writing and want to get better too, but I just wanted to say that I LOVE this idea for a thread!

Local time: Fri May 10, 2024 5:06 am

If you are talking to me, please ping or quote me. I get distracted and lose track of what I'm doing easily. :wink:

Postby MonkeyGirl18 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:40 pm

All I can say is that you just need to sit down and write. Don't think about what you're writing because that will hinder you, just write whatever is the first thing that pops in your head.

Postby Watery Star » Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:33 am

I've found some writing tips on Pinterest that might be helpful: https://www.pinterest.com/WateryStar/writing-tips/
Tips for characters and some vocabulary.

There's more but since I'm making a comic some of the tips aren't so helpful for me or veer off into genre-specific help.

One thing that I've found very helpful is to always keep a pad of paper nearby so that you can jot down an idea whenever it pops in your head. I have so many random ideas the come to me both for my comic's story and random things. I've been able to work some random ideas into my comic's story including the idea for the big bad. Having it written down in a notepad makes it so much easier when going back over previous ideas. I can usually remember things to do with my comic but the random ideas can easily get forgotten otherwise.

Postby okios » Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:43 am

What great timing! NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) is just around the corner! :D
Their forums provide a lot of resources/writing exercises/prompts as well as writers of all skill level coming together to bounce ideas off each other. It requires an account to view and post, but it's completely free to join.
If you want that "live" experience, their calendar events have Virtual Write-Ins where they simulate a writing session, and real life events (such as participating in local libraries). You can find if there's one near you here: http://nanowrimo.org/regions

Local time: Fri May 10, 2024 5:06 am

https://i.imgur.com/paQOna3.png?1http://i.imgur.com/2Ka0iwp.png

Postby npixelz » Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:04 am

Thank you all so much for the tips and resources! I really appreciate it!

Return to The Reading Nook