Read a good book lately and want to talk about it? Need suggestions on what to read next? Want to start a book club? Write your own literature? This is the place to be!

New Books?

Moderator: Ryvvi

New Books?

Postby starlessmemory » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:49 pm

figured maybe we could make a thread about new books we're reading, maybe with checking in and letting people know how they're going as we read them?

so i'll start off -- today i got a book called "the healing power of tea" by caroline dow! haven't read any of it yet, but i'm pretty excited about it cause i love everything to do with tea!

Local time: Fri May 10, 2024 4:13 am

Re: New Books?

Postby Blue Jay » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:27 pm

I had gotten 17 books for Christmas and only finished four of them. Puppy Love is adorable I recommend it for an Easy Read. I read Stephen King's The Gunslinger and it's ok though takes a while to get me interested in it. I read Dead Mann Walking by Stefan Petrucha . That one is really good and highly recommend it. I also read The Quantum Thief by Hannu Rajaniemi which is confusing to read but will probably be a good series that needs to be finished to understand it. Currently I'm working on a book called Time by Stephen Baxter it's the first in the Trilogy. I do have the second one but not the third book. XD

Image Artwork by Yuracye

Postby Mika » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:59 pm

Well I got a book for Html and CSS that I am reading. I started it last week. I'm about one hundred pages in and so far it seems easy to read but I've got no real way of testing out anything that I learn as I go... Which would really help me out since I'm a hands on kind of learner.

"Your name, frozen on my lips
Icecicles pierce my heart
Now I wait, to send out my wish
To find you where ever you are"

Postby Lime » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:08 pm

... Did somebody mention tea? I have been summoned!

Kidding, but I love books! I haven't had time to read any lately, which makes me sad. I do like to try and catch a few pages on nights I can't sleep. :) But I never get through much. D:

Not new books, but lately I've been reading The Green Mile, and One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest. Honestly The Green Mile is waaay better and more interesting in my opinion, but I'm one of those infuriating people who read more than one book at a time, haha. ;)

Local time: Fri May 10, 2024 5:13 am

:L_Wing: :heart: :R_Wing:
it's good to be back
if you see me here and there
feel free to say hey
:wink:
- A Lime Haiku
:L_Wing: :heart: :R_Wing:

Postby Blue Jay » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:11 pm

Lime I don't think I could read two books at one time at all! I would be too confused throughout the whole story. XD

Postby Mousy » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:25 pm

All of the newer books I've been reading lately are science picture books. XD
I get my quality reading time in during the summer. That library card gets some needed exercise. I can't wait to come back to this thread and get some great suggestions!

Local time: Fri May 10, 2024 3:13 am

If you are talking to me, please ping or quote me. I get distracted and lose track of what I'm doing easily. :wink:

Postby Lime » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:33 pm

Blue Jay wrote:Lime I don't think I could read two books at one time at all! I would be too confused throughout the whole story. XD

Aha, I get people saying that a lot. But sometimes I feel like one kind of story, other times I feel like another!

Postby Blue Jay » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:47 pm

Lime your a Cocunut with that. XD sorry couldn't help that joke but on the real side I could only do that with Textbook and a real book. XD

Postby galled » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:30 pm

Mika wrote:Well I got a book for Html and CSS that I am reading. I started it last week. I'm about one hundred pages in and so far it seems easy to read but I've got no real way of testing out anything that I learn as I go... Which would really help me out since I'm a hands on kind of learner.

Hi Mika!

All you need for HTML and CSS is a text editor and browser. Since you're here, you must have a browser and every OS has a text editor, but if you're on WIndows, nothing beats Notepad++ IMHO.

Just create a folder for your work and start creating web pages! No one but you will see them without a server, but it should be fine for you to learn on.

Let us know if you need help.

Code-on, Mika! :)

Server Administrator

Local time: Fri May 10, 2024 2:13 am

~Windlyn Daydream by Mouse

Windlyn is so fun,
Windlyn is so grand,
So come on everyone,
All across the land,
Come and join us now,
In this awesome site,
We will show you how,
Talking through the night.
~npixelz

Postby Blue Jay » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:44 pm

Galled thanks for the tip might put that to use one day and Notepad is awesome! :D From what I know Mika only has her cellphone to use internet so everything right now is super slow for her but once she gets internet it will pick up. :)

Postby galled » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:46 pm

Blue Jay wrote:Galled thanks for the tip might put that to use one day and Notepad is awesome! :D From what I know Mika only has her cellphone to use internet so everything right now is super slow for her but once she gets internet it will pick up. :)

Notepad is cool, but Notepad++ is *MUCH* better. (Free too!)
http://notepad-plus-plus.org

Server Administrator

Local time: Fri May 10, 2024 2:13 am

Postby Blue Jay » Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:19 pm

Oooh may have to download that later! :D

Postby Lime » Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:31 pm

I love Notepad++ !

When I went to college for video game design, my teacher loved it and refused to let us use things like DreamWeaver. I highly suggest it! Plus, galled definitely knows what they're doing. ;) So I'd nab it. Plus, who doesn't like free?

If you're looking for things to read on that topic (to keep this on track :) ), I would suggest just going to Google and looking for simple things to try out first with Notepad++. You can practice on your own, open it in a browser, and like galled said- nobody will see it! So code away!

Postby mdom » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:19 pm

Right now I am reading The noonday demon, an atlas of depression. A really good book that encompasses all aspects of depression. He doesn't judge, which is pretty cool.

Local time: Fri May 10, 2024 6:13 am

by Valentine Strange

Postby Maro » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:52 pm

I finished reading [a] VVoman in Berlin last vveek or so, I really liked it but it quite dark and filled vvith gallovvs humor among other things of berlin around vvhen russia took it over etc etc so I vvouldn't recommend it for people under 18 because of the subject matter in it, but still a good read if you like history surrounding vvars told from the point of vievv of citizens living through it.

Local time: Fri May 10, 2024 6:43 am

Art by - ciel

Next

Return to The Reading Nook