Read a good book lately and want to talk about it? Need suggestions on what to read next? Want to start a book club? Write your own literature? This is the place to be!

Reading List

Moderator: Ryvvi

Re: Reading List

Postby MonkeyGirl18 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:29 pm

Since I'm planning to write a paranormal story in November for NaNoWriMo (a ghost story that is), I'm planning on reading The Man in the Picture by Susan Hill after someone recommended The Woman in Black by the same author but my library doesn't carry TWIB but does carry TMITP........

Local time: Thu May 09, 2024 10:41 pm

Postby Mousy » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:27 am

That's awesome! Will you let us read it when the time comes?
I really enjoy paranormal stories. :D

Local time: Thu May 09, 2024 9:41 pm

If you are talking to me, please ping or quote me. I get distracted and lose track of what I'm doing easily. :wink:

Postby MonkeyGirl18 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:13 pm

Yeah, of course! If I remember to. lol

Postby Bassy » Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:13 pm

Years later, I look at this list, only read half way through the Great Gatsby and never touched the others.

Which I am currently reading “People We Meet On Vacation” but I haven’t continued it for a while because it’s quite boring. But, I have books ready to go, unlike the original post that I was looking up but didn’t have books for yet, is “It Ends with us” by Colleen Hoover and “The Midnight Library” by Matt something? I currently can’t think of the name right now haha

Please feed and hold my pokemon?

Soup’s Pokémon!

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:53 pm

People we meet on vacation sounds like it should be hilarious. I should write about people I meet who are on vacation because some of them are something else... people have a tendency to act differently when no one they know is watching them.

Local time: Thu May 09, 2024 8:41 pm

Postby Bassy » Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:39 am

It’s supposed to be kind of quirky but I guess this one isn’t really my style of book. I had a hard time reading the sarcasm because I’m always reading something more serious.

Postby MissAutumn » Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:18 am

I'm currently reading the Hunger Games books. Yes, I am very late to the series. They're so good.

Local time: Fri May 10, 2024 3:41 am

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:11 pm

Did you watch the hunger games movies at all?

Curious because I read the books and then saw the movies. Sometimes its better to watch the movie then read the books, less chance of disappointment sometimes that way. Like with the movie Eragon, was so disappointed.

Postby MissAutumn » Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:43 pm

Lemon Cheesecake wrote:Did you watch the hunger games movies at all?

Curious because I read the books and then saw the movies. Sometimes its better to watch the movie then read the books, less chance of disappointment sometimes that way. Like with the movie Eragon, was so disappointed.

Very late reply.

I saw the movies first but a couple of years before I got onto the books. I've also read the prequel now. It was good for world building aspects but because the main character is Snow I thought a lot of the plot was predictable.

Postby Bassy » Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:10 am

Currently I’m reading Goodreads Too Voted Fictional book of 2022: Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow

So far it’s okay, but I’m not too far into it but I don’t necessarily rate it like a 5 star like everyone else does, heh. But maybe I will change my mind in the future.

Postby MissAutumn » Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:26 am

I never read the Goodreads awards. Normally the books picked aren't to my tastes

I'm reading The Makioka Sisters by Jun'ichirō Tanizaki, a Japanese classic about a well-to-do old ranking family who have fallen on hard times. It shows them struggling to accept change in their circumstances and social changes in the early 20th century. It's focuses on 4 sisters.

I'm also reading Troy by Stephen Fry. He's telling the myths of Troy. It's part of his myths series but can be read stand alone. He's made the stories more accessible to a wider audience.

Postby Bassy » Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:44 am

Stephen Fry sounds so familiar. I’ll have to look him up from where I heard him from.

Postby MissAutumn » Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:03 am

He's a British comedian. He used to have a show with Hugh Laurie and he was the presenter of QI. He's been in a few movies as well.

Postby galled » Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:43 pm

I know him! Well, I know his face and acting/comedy. Sounds like he's pretty intelligent, but he's played a lot of dumb characters. Brilliant!

Server Administrator

~Windlyn Daydream by Mouse

Windlyn is so fun,
Windlyn is so grand,
So come on everyone,
All across the land,
Come and join us now,
In this awesome site,
We will show you how,
Talking through the night.
~npixelz

Postby Bassy » Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:22 pm

I apparently seen some movies but I didn’t recognize him. I may have had a conversation about him is why I recognize the name.

PreviousNext

Return to The Reading Nook