Want to rate and review movies? Want to know what to watch next?

This Week on Kawaii International!!

Moderator: Ryvvi

This Week on Kawaii International!!

Postby galled » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:33 am

Kawaii International is an insider's guide to Japanese kawaii culture.

Kawaii International is one of my favorite shows. I think I've seen every episode and many multiple times. So I wanted to create a place where we could talk about the fun topics covered in the various episodes. :)

Their main web site is a bit of a mess, but you can get a great about what gets covered.
http://www.nhk.or.jp/kawaii-i/

I usually watch it on NHK World, but you can watch episodes online at:
https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/onde ... /kawaii-i/
(Scroll down to the bottom.)

Does anyone else watch this show? My thought is we can talk about episodes and share our thoughts, knowledge, and perhaps related projects! :heart:

Server Administrator

Local time: Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:06 am

~Windlyn Daydream by Mouse

Windlyn is so fun,
Windlyn is so grand,
So come on everyone,
All across the land,
Come and join us now,
In this awesome site,
We will show you how,
Talking through the night.
~npixelz

Innovative Bento - Kawaii Food On-The-Go

Postby galled » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:40 am

Innovative Bento - Kawaii Food On-The-Go
Kawaii International 27m 30s
Broadcast on January 25, 2019 Available until January 25, 2020
https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/onde ... o/2025094/

OK, I'm a food fan in general :), but the I've always admired how Japanese cuisine has placed a high value on appearance. Check out how creative and fun some of the Bento box creations are. Some of them are almost too cute to eat!

Were any of the examples in this episode especially appealing to you? Do you have any fabulous food works of art you'd like share?

Server Administrator

Re: Kawaii International!!

Postby NerdyAliCat » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:34 pm

I used to watch the show but i haven't in the past few years but on the topic of food,
Japanese food is the best :cheeky:
The bento boxes can be so creative! I love seeing themed ones too and i wonder how they do it!

Local time: Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:06 am

ImageImage
Thanks Yorunaka! - Thanks Valentine Strange!

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:56 pm

Kawaii international was at Anime expo in L.A. a few years ago ( I wish they would have a booth every year) and I got to take a photo with Melody! (She has moved on to other things now but I loved how sweet she was on the show).

They have some fun how to projects so you can make your very own Kawaii items!

Postby galled » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:56 pm

The show has changed quite a bit. Melody has moved on and RinRin Doll is the new co-host. Overall it's slicker/more professional, but with the same fun and quirky spirit. Highly recommended! :)

Server Administrator

Postby Gingerale » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:33 pm

Some of the food in the bento box lunches look too cute to eat!

I liked one show the girls had to try making their own Kawaii lunches and found out it wasn't so easy! They have episodes of their shows online now to view if you missed them or wanted to watch it again.

Local time: Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:06 am

Postby Watery Star » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:29 pm

I'm not sure if I've caught this show on tv before. I have seen similar shows on NHK in the past.

Bento Box art is very cute. I had a magazine that showed how to make one or two types of bento box creations. It required precision to cut tiny details. It's tough!

While looking at NHK's site, I found an episode about manga artist and illustrator Seizo Watase. I really enjoyed it but it's a different show called Imagine-nation. ^^;

Local time: Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:06 am

Postby galled » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:43 am

It's a really fun and educational show. I really like it!

They usually have a guest or guests featured that explain their design concepts and show you how to make stuff yourself. And the hosts usually try some projects as well. They always seems like they mess up, but the end products always seem to come out fantastic!

I used to watch Imagine-Nation a lot (Nicholas Pettas is really funny--a great host), but other shows fill my time these days. That's a great show if you like Japanese games, anime and manga.

Server Administrator

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:42 pm

In the Asian market they sell different items that actually help you with preparing food without having to do a lot of manual work...little punchers with designs for cutting meats or seaweed etc and molds for shaping rice.

Kakkoii! 80s & 90s Back in Style!

Postby galled » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:56 pm

Kakkoii! 80s & 90s Back in Style!
Kawaii International 28m 00s
Broadcast on February 1, 2019 Available until February 1, 2020
https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/onde ... o/2025100/

This weeks episode is about 80s and 90s retro styles. I've always been a fan of 80's New Romantic style, but it wasn't really covered. They, as true to form, focused on the more pop and neon themes.

They also have a segment on Kissa Cafe's--which seem like businesses that never updated their decor for 30 or so years! LOL

The craft segment was about how to make miniature bread jewelry! :cheer:

Did anyone else watch it?

Server Administrator

The Evolution of Kawaii Culture - Ver. 3.0 -

Postby galled » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:45 am

The Evolution of Kawaii Culture - Ver. 3.0 -
Kawaii International 28m 00s
Broadcast on March 1, 2019 Available until March 1, 2020

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/onde ... o/2025102/

This is the coolest episode in recent memory! Its main topic is the next evolution of Kawaii Culture and how technology has taken a lead role in fashion, and fashion design and retailing. The LED lighting is wonderful, and the tech fabric really opens up a whole new realm of possibilities. There's also segment on 3D printed accessories too. (The old couple are super-cute!)

I think the virtual reality shopping will eventually extend to the home (using your cell phone!), and the 3D garment software is crazy cool!

If you haven't seen Kawaii International lately, this is a great episode to get an idea of where things are today! :)

Server Administrator

Re: This Week on Kawaii International!!

Postby galled » Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:51 pm

Stay at Home Kawaii - Come Tour Our Homes!

I haven't posted about the recent shows because they haven't been all that innovative, but this latest one was really interesting and informative. It's the first the girls have posted since the COVID-19 lockdown and it's more about living spaces. A efficiency/organization expert is brought in to help one of the crew members make their spaces more useful. Japanese apartments are really tiny, but I think the ideas are wonderful for any small space.

Although the focus wasn't about how to make things cute (which we love!), but I am always amazed by how creative Misha is with everyday things. Her apartment certainly reflects who she is! <3

Rin-Rin Doll's place is what you'd expect too. So girly! :)

Check out the episode here:
https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/onde ... o/2025124/

Server Administrator

Re: Kawaii International's Final Episode

Postby galled » Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:59 pm

I'm very sad that Kawaii International has been cancelled. :(

"After a long run of 9 years on the air, Kawaii International is coming to an end. In this final episode, we will update you about Kawaii fans and communities around the globe. Our special guest, MASUDA Sebastian, joins us as we report on what the Kawaii community leaders and influencers are up to during COVID-19 pandemic."

The Future of Kawaii is YOURS

You can watch the final episode here:
https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/onde ... o/2025139/

Server Administrator

Re: This Week on Kawaii International!!

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:34 pm

I did not realize Kawaii International had been around for 9 years already!
They were very creative in producing new shows during the covid shutdowns. It seemed like such a fun job to have! I learned a few things from their shows... I am sure many were inspired to be creative.

Return to Movies & TV