Want to rate and review movies? Want to know what to watch next?

TV show / movie recommendations

Moderator: Ryvvi

TV show / movie recommendations

Postby MissAutumn » Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:11 pm

So, I'm home alone for the rest of the week and it's too dark to go out and see friends when I finish. Can anyone recommend any good shows or movies?

I'm in the mood for something funny and/or feel good - I'm having a bad week lol.

Local time: Thu May 09, 2024 7:15 am

Re: TV show / movie recommendations

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:14 pm

Sad to hear it isn't a good week for you... we've been looking for some shows as well. Most you are going to have to have Amazon prime or access to Netflix or HBO or able to download.

Loved this movie: "The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec". Great time period piece, adventurous, clever, funny...the lead character is amazing and the sets are outstanding.

One that grows on you is "Avenue 5" a "HBO’s new sci-fi comedy about a space cruise to Saturn that goes awry."
The people on the show are annoying at times, the "crew" inept and their solutions to problems just lead into other problems but if you love satire and stupid comedy which actually turns into clever comedy then you will like this one. You have to stick with it because it gets funnier as it goes. I do find a couple of the characters extremely annoying but the others are worth the watch.

If you like Sci fi then I still recommend "The Expanse", it has some comedy in it but mostly enthralling and a glimpse into what our future may look like with one world governments and moving into space.

Started watching "Miss Fisher's murder mysteries". An Australian show. Got to love her character, she is a brazen woman even for our times. It is set in the roaring 20's , love the costumes and sets and although the murders can be fairly easily solved by the viewer, ( in comparison to the "Misdommer Mysteries", Miss Fisher delves into going under cover to solve the mystery and it has some funny moments in what she does/says. The other characters are endearing in their own way as well.
Can't say I was a fan of "Space Force". It is suppose to be funny but didn't do it for me.
I did watch "Away" but that left me in tears towards the end of the episodes as it heavily dealt with relationships, not much comedy in there but a thought provoker as to what it means to leave the family behind to go to Mars.
Of course I always like "Secrets of the Dead" and "Nova".

Local time: Thu May 09, 2024 12:15 am

Postby galled » Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:28 pm

Sorry to hear about your week. :hug:

We're here if you get lonely. :smile:

Adele is a great character and movie. I think it was made by the same guy that made 5th Element IIRC. Totally insane and awesome on all levels!

Server Administrator

~Windlyn Daydream by Mouse

Windlyn is so fun,
Windlyn is so grand,
So come on everyone,
All across the land,
Come and join us now,
In this awesome site,
We will show you how,
Talking through the night.
~npixelz

Postby MissAutumn » Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:29 pm

Thanks for the suggestions.

Adèle sounds like something up my street. :D

Avenue 5 is giving me Red Dwarf vibes from your description. If you haven't watch RD I highly recommend it.

I'll have to check the other shows out.

galled :hug: It's been a bit lonely but thankfully my job and my uni assignment have kept me busy.

Postby galled » Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:16 am

Red Dwarf was really wacky. Loved it!

I looked up Blowing Up History and found some episodes on youtube. Fascinating stuff!

Server Administrator

Postby MissAutumn » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:09 pm

It's a great show - although I haven't watched the much of the newer seasons. It just wasn't the same when they brought it back.

Postby galled » Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:11 pm

Wait, what? They did a re-make of Red Dwarf? Same people? Or a re-imagining (boy I hate those...)?

Server Administrator

Postby MissAutumn » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:39 pm

It's not a reboot or remake, they actually started making new episodes. There was a TV special called "Back to Earth" and then they started making new seasons. Same cast of characters.

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:41 pm

"The Expanse" is back !!

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:33 am

Am binge watching "The Good Doctor" series and find it quite endearing, plus intrigued as to whether the medical technology is for real. I have a whole new respect for surgeons...don't know if I could handle the risks of People's lives in my hands on a daily bases. Takes a special person.

Return to Movies & TV