Want to rate and review movies? Want to know what to watch next?

(live action)Asian Dramas

Moderator: Ryvvi

(live action)Asian Dramas

Postby TheFellowsheep » Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:15 pm

Just curious what folks are watching. Right now I'm almost done with "Marry My Husband" (read the webcomic adaptation forever ago, or just a webcomic with a similar premise, same name) and that's been a blast. Also starting "My Roommate is a Gumiho" at my MIL's recommendation. It's genuinely hilarious, and cheesy but not in the classic usual way that cheesy goes. Moreso in the overacting way. It fits wonderfully. What are y'all watching? Anyone seen those two and thoughts?

Local time: Wed May 08, 2024 9:57 pm

Re: (live action)Asian Dramas

Postby JinMay » Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:06 pm

I haven't watched those, but I've heard of "Marry My Husband". The last thing I watched was I think a Japanese drama, "My Happy Marriage" based on the anime but I never actually watched the anime. After watching the live adaptation though, I really want to someday. Haha. "Oh My Venus!" is a good k-drama to watch, I thought it was adorable. And umm... "Flower Of Evil" is also really good if you like a thriller. I haven't watched k-dramas in a long time though but I have watched a few. "Boys Over Flowers" will always be iconic I think. "You're Beautiful" was really good, that was a Korean TV series though.

Local time: Wed May 08, 2024 10:57 pm

My Discord
thebossrimi

Tell me who you are and we can be friends on there maybe? :heart:

Postby TheFellowsheep » Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:24 pm

I haven't heard of "My Happy Marriage" but the art for the light novel seems so familiar. I'll have to check it out! And oh, I totally forgot about "Oh My Venus!"! I didn't finish that one (lost access or something) so I should go back. "Boys Over Flowers" is iconic, and omg, I haven't seen anyone reference "You're Beautiful" in ages. If you haven't seen "Cat Street", I recommend it! It seems up your alley. While not a full romance - it is about finding oneself in a group of misfits. It's a Japanese drama movie. So. Sweet. The manga is real good too.

Hmmm, for another show, Witch's Love was such a laugh. More of a dramedy.

Postby galled » Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:47 pm

Haven't seen any of the modern dramas, but I'm addicted to the imperial Chinese mystery/detective genre. It blows my mind that these things are all filmed at the same studio (the world's largest the last time I checked).

Server Administrator

~Windlyn Daydream by Mouse

Windlyn is so fun,
Windlyn is so grand,
So come on everyone,
All across the land,
Come and join us now,
In this awesome site,
We will show you how,
Talking through the night.
~npixelz

Postby TheFellowsheep » Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:00 pm

Ohh, which ones are you watching galled?! I've only seen a revenge drama set in Imperial China. The Scent of Time. Didn't finish it, but got close to the end and it was fun. It was mostly super pretty to look at, haha.

And I never thought about where dramas get filmed. It's wild to know almost an entire genre gets filmed in one place. That makes sense though.

Postby JinMay » Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:59 pm

Cat Street? No I never heard of it but I'll see if I can watch it. It sounds like it would be a cute watch. Same with Witch's Love. I do like anything that will make me laugh or at least feel good. Hehe Thank you for the recommendations!

Postby galled » Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:26 pm

The most popular one is NIRVANA IN FIRE (actually the most watched show in the world ever last time I checked). The blend of history, drama, fantasy, mystery and character development is outstanding. They even made a dubbed versions in a few languages.

Yes, there's one studio out in China's countryside that they essentially built an ancient Chinese city with a Forbidden Palace and Great Wall. Rivers and lagoons. Really impressive!

Server Administrator

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:55 pm

I really liked "The Imperial Coroner" , set back in ancient China.

I find the clothing, customs, culture all very intriguing.

Return to Movies & TV