Want to rate and review movies? Want to know what to watch next?

The Great Gatsby

Moderator: Ryvvi

The Great Gatsby

Postby Bassy » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:09 pm

Great movie, isn't it? I am obsessed with the song Young and Beautiful by Lana Del Rey. This was on The Great Gatsby
I am talking about the newer version with Leo Dicaprio in it. Though I never read the book, the movie made me feel hopeful for Gatsby. I absolutely hate Daisy for what she did. Makes me sad. Gatsby loved her D'X

Local time: Thu May 09, 2024 1:41 am

Please feed and hold my pokemon?

Soup’s Pokémon!

Re: The Great Gatsby

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:12 pm

did Gatsby actually love Daisy or was he just obsessed with her?

Local time: Wed May 08, 2024 11:41 pm

Postby Mousy » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:14 pm

I haven't seen the newest adaptation of the book, but I did read the book 7 or so years ago and I saw the older movie adaptation. That being said, I may be rusty on the book. Haha

Unpopular opinion time~
If I were faced with the same decision that Daisy had to make, I feel like I would choose Tom. She had a family with Tom and years of memories. Tom could also provide Daisy with a security that Gatsby never could. Yes, they both had money, but Gatsby was so loose with it and if I remember correctly, it wasn't attained in the most honorable way. I know that Tom had his mistress, but even still, that can be worked out (especially since she wasn't really a problem at the end....). I just feel like Gatsby was so intense and Daisy built up this life while he was gone. It wouldn't be fair for him to take her away from that. Tom is presented as a big jerk, but I think any male would be if there was someone else threatening his life and marriage. I'm not saying that any of Daisy's actions were okay, because she definitely led Gatsby on, but I would make the same decision in the end I think.

Local time: Thu May 09, 2024 12:41 am

If you are talking to me, please ping or quote me. I get distracted and lose track of what I'm doing easily. :wink:

Postby Bassy » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:55 pm

Gatsby wanted to impress Daisy with the riches of his home because he started off broke, and that's why they thought that Daisy was upset. Tom, on the other hand, could've stayed with Daisy rather than go with Myrtle. That really isn't what husbands do. Daisy even killed her by running over her accidentally and made Gatsby die from revenge of her husband. And she never attended Gatsby's funeral. I was so mad. I think that if Daisy was with Gatsby for all the history they had together, he wouldn't be as rich and will take care of Daisy and treat her like a lady.

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:22 pm

the movie is different then the book from what I recall and the newer Dicaprio movie version from the older Redford movie. Having seen both I liked the older one better.Maybe it was partly to how the leads portrayed their Gatsby character.

Postby Bassy » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:21 pm

I've seen bits of the old version. I can't really say an opinion on that. Also, movies are never exactly like the book.

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:10 pm

quite true

Return to Movies & TV