Share your tips & tricks for life here, or help share your goals.

Tips on how to stop being sleepy at work

Moderator: Ryvvi

Tips on how to stop being sleepy at work

Postby MissAutumn » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:26 am

As the title says, I was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to stop being sleepy when I'm working. The building I'm in is rather warm at the moment and as a result, I'm struggling to stay awake by mid afternoon.

The usual caffeine trick isn't doing much.

Thanks. :heart:

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:03 pm

Re: Tips on how to stop being sleepy at work

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:23 am

Sometimes having a cold beverage...like a fruit smoothie helps...maybe because warm tends to make us sleepy and cold more alert?

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:03 pm

Postby galled » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:26 am

Assuming you're getting enough sleep, I've found that one has two areas to address--mind and body. Keeping your mind engaged in something interesting/exciting/fun helps keep me from "drifting" (the prelude to lights out!). The other thing is physical change in circumstances from what you're currently in provides some boost

For example, if you're sitting, try standing. If the room is dark, try getting in the light. As Lemon suggested, if it's warm, try cooling off. Just slight changes (even slightly changing positions can help). Just beware that if you go from one to the other, make sure it has to be of equal or less comfort than what you're moving from. If you go to more comfortable, you'll just get more sleepy! (I know from experience!) :)

Hope you're able to find something useful. Good luck!

BTW, trying to stay awake when you actually need sleep can really be painful (I tried staying up as many hours as possible once just to see how many I could do--it actually hurt after ~30 hours--not recommended!)

Server Administrator

~Windlyn Daydream by Mouse

Windlyn is so fun,
Windlyn is so grand,
So come on everyone,
All across the land,
Come and join us now,
In this awesome site,
We will show you how,
Talking through the night.
~npixelz

Postby MissAutumn » Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:19 pm

Lemon Cheesecake I tried the cold drink idea. That really helped today. :smile:

galled I wish my work is a bit more interesting at the moment. I was stuck working on mailshots so that got super boring. That's a lot of helpful advice there. Thank you.

30 hours of no sleep! That must have hurt. How did you stay awake that long?

Postby galled » Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:56 pm

MissAutumn wrote:30 hours of no sleep! That must have hurt. How did you stay awake that long?

I used every trick in the book; caffeine, really cold shower (also painful and only of limited effect), walking outside, exercising, cold drinks, so many things. The pain (even my eyelids hurt near the end) creeps up on your from 26 hours or so and gets exponentially worse.

Although I wouldn't do it again for no good (at least better!) reason, it was an interesting experiment/experience. I could better understand how a chronically sleep deprived person could become psychotic. It also really drove home how effective sleep deprivation could be as torture or brain washing... :\

We're such fragile beings really. I suppose that's what makes us special too because we can accomplish so much despite our limitations! :heart:

Server Administrator

Postby Gingerale » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:06 pm

Starbucks ice drinks give me a buzz and crazy energy (too much so), but that is caffeine.

Sometimes taking a few deep breath's helps get oxygen to the brain and throughout the body.

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:03 am

Postby MissAutumn » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:03 am

galled that is dedication to see what sleep deprivation is like. I can imagine that it would be really painful. That's true it's amazing what we can achieve.

Gingerale ooh now there's a tempting idea. There's a Starbucks within a 10 min walk from where I work. I have not tried the deep breathing thing. I will give it a shot. Thank you for the tips. :cheer:

Postby Gingerale » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:58 pm

or taking a quick walk can get the blood circulating as well! But keeping too busy to rest also makes the day go faster.

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:03 am

Return to Lifestyle & Health