Share your tips & tricks for life here, or help share your goals.

I got apporved for SSI!

Moderator: Ryvvi

I got apporved for SSI!

Postby Watery Star » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:10 am

I found out Saturday that I was approved for SSI. It's disability based on financial need. I don't think I earned enough work credits for SSDI (which would have let me have medicare). Monday I found out it was a fully favorable and I'll get back pay from the date I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia, which was 4 years ago.

It's such a relief. I've been unemployed for 9 years and felt like a burden on my family and boyfriend. It's nice to have that weight taken off. I really felt like I'd have to go through the appeals and have to start the process all over again. It's great to be validated.

Next week I have an interview to go over my finances to make sure I meet the financial requirements(which is, not having much money). I had a joint account with my boyfriend that I had to close because it would be counted as my own assests. I think I'll find out the exact amount I'll be getting a month at when payments start. It can be slow but right now I'm just so happy that it's finally happening.

Local time: Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:40 am

Re: I got apporved for SSI!

Postby Diana » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:24 am

woo! Congrats! That must be such a relief. :)

Site Admin

Local time: Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:40 am

Postby galled » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:50 am

It sure is slow, but I'm glad it's all moving in the right direction! I had to look up fibromyalgia, that's terrible! I hope you're able to get that figured out eventually too.

Server Administrator

~Windlyn Daydream by Mouse

Windlyn is so fun,
Windlyn is so grand,
So come on everyone,
All across the land,
Come and join us now,
In this awesome site,
We will show you how,
Talking through the night.
~npixelz

Postby okios » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:40 pm

Congrats! That's a relief to hear. I'm happy you finally got it! ^^

Local time: Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:40 am

https://i.imgur.com/paQOna3.png?1http://i.imgur.com/2Ka0iwp.png

Postby Watery Star » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:05 pm

Thanks everyone. I'm still going to be on medicaid so I'm not sure how much progress I'll make since not everywhere accepts it. I'm on a waiting list to see a rheumatologist this fall.

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:09 pm

I'm glad that's one less stress for you,especially since stress is sometimes a big trigger for aggravating fibromyalgia. I hope that you won't be inhibited by the system in getting the help you need.
The medical field is getting better at diagnosing the symptoms I just wish they could come up with a way of retraining the body's nervous and inflammatory system. I am so sorry to hear that it has been so debilitating for you. I wish more could be done for it rather then mainly just pain and trigger management.

Postby Watery Star » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:47 pm

I was urged to go to an university hospital but they don't accept medicaid. Unfortunately even with SSI it deosn't seem I can go in. But the money will help with my continued care.

Postby Ryvvi » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:59 pm

Congrats! thats anoying that not everywhere will take it though :/ is it a govt program?

Local time: Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:40 am

Ry: Rise of The Innovator 4000 , The Quickening [NOT THE BEEEEESSS Limited Edition]

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:45 pm

citizens in the U.S that can't get medical treatment really upsets me....I think in Canada they have to take you, right? Is it that way anywhere else?

Can you be part of a study program at all and be covered?

Postby Watery Star » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:24 pm

Ryvi: Yes it's a government program.

Lemon: I could probably be part one of John Hopkins studies. I forget what it's called. My dad tried to sign me up for one but that was before I had a primary doctor and diagnosed.

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:53 pm

I just hope you get the Doctors who know how to deal with the problem so that you can get help. I was reading something about antibiotics being used for treatment because the outbreaks can come after an infection in your body that has weakened your immunity system. But sadly it sounds like the whole diagnosis and treatment is still in its infancy.

Postby Watery Star » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:56 pm

Thanks, I hope so too. Yeah it's still not a lot really known about the how or why of it.
I've taken antibiotics before when I've experienced flu-like symptoms. Not sure if that is more helpful in the early signs of fibro though.

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:29 pm

I am just sad it is so debilitating for you, it makes life that much more of a struggle.

Postby Watery Star » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:13 am

*hug* There's always somebody who has it worse. I'm thankful for what I have and that I can still walk even if it's not that well. As long as I keep my mind occupied I don't notice the pain.

Return to Lifestyle & Health