Share your tips & tricks for life here, or help share your goals.

Gel Nail Polish

Moderator: Ryvvi

Gel Nail Polish

Postby Diana » Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:18 am

My coworker took me out to a nail salon a few weeks ago (5th of December, it is now January 1), and I got to try the gel nail polish that has gotten so popular lately. Almost a month later, my pinky and ring fingers are 100% no chip no peel (just a half centimeter of new-growth :cheer: ) and the lower halves of the rest of my nails are still firmly attached without chipping. I think the gel has also protected my nails from breaking, so I'm pretty sold on the stuff.

Have you ever tried gels? Did you go to a salon or do your own nails at home? How long did they last for you? Did yours peel up, chip/crack, or stay strong until you removed them? Any pictures?

I want to get some gel polish to use at home. I'm not too bad at painting my nails and the salon is waaaay too expensive to go more than once ever. Gel seems perfect for someone like me who uses their hands a lot, and it sets fast so I can't mess it up too bad right away. I've been trying to do some research on what to buy.
For those who paint their nails at home, do you have a favourite brand?

Site Admin

Local time: Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:07 am

Re: Gel Nail Polish

Postby Ryvvi » Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:05 am

opi/china glaze! though im not 100% sure about their gels

Local time: Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:07 pm

Ry: Rise of The Innovator 4000 , The Quickening [NOT THE BEEEEESSS Limited Edition]

Postby Polaris » Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:46 am

I once bought a gel nail polish without realizing it, put it on, then wondered why i was so hard to take off with regular acetone. Gels are awesome and long lasting (for me, they lasted 2 weeks without any chips or anything), but they're a major pain to remove D:

My favorite nail polish brands though, hmm... I've got a pretty sizeable collection with a variety of brands and formulas, but I guess my favorite would have to be essie or topshop

Local time: Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:07 am

Quest Thread

"Smile at me when you see this flower later..."

Image(click for artist)

Postby Kitalpha Hart » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:50 am

I'm known to pick one that'll wear out and for stuff where I need to have polish, after the event is over, I'm peeling/chipping it off

So I won't like gel ones by virtue of them being meant to be long lasting

Local time: Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:07 am

hangout|art shop|card shop
BUTT CAPES
I need mah butt capes!
ImageImage

Postby Bassy » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:53 am

Ive never had gels, and I miss having my nails done. Since I am gonna be quitting my job soon, I am gonna get them done. I usually do them at home, but just for polish. I have so many nail polish I need to start using.

Please feed and hold my pokemon?

Soup’s Pokémon!

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:27 pm

have a nail polish party over the holidays!

Postby Watery Star » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:29 pm

I just heard about gel nail polish. Sounds awesome. I've only had my nails done at a salon twice. I use to not go because of the smell of those places but last time I went I don't think the place had that bad of a chemical smell. I'm also cheap so I might try it at home.

Postby Diana » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:40 pm

So I never actually ended up getting gel polish to use at home... I did however get into acrylics and for everything I said I liked about gels, acrylics are waay better! It lasts forever, doesn;t peel up my nails really terribly, protects my nails from breaking, and I can do all kinds of fun 3d art. Also gel lamps kind of burn a lot when you nuke the nails and I really don't like how that feels.
The smell is the strongest of everything I've tried though, but when it dries my monomer smells like cotton candy. :)

Site Admin

Postby Kitalpha Hart » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:10 pm

I think the polish I use to help set the yarn when I "sew" plastic canvas together is acrylic. And yes it smells strong. Reminds me of sharpie
Hear tell polish remover is even stronger

Postby Watery Star » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:10 am

ah didn't know about the hot lamps for the gel polish. Doing polish at home isn't so bad when it comes to smells because it'll fade away. Polish remover is probably a more offensive odor.

Postby Diana » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:58 pm

There's acrylic paint and then there's acrylic, which is confusing. Acrylic comes in a powder and you mix it with a monomer, basically making plastic lol.

I don't remember of gel really smelled that much. It's definitely worth a try!

Site Admin

Return to Lifestyle & Health