Share your tips & tricks for life here, or help share your goals.

Sharing Art and Anxiety

Moderator: Ryvvi

Sharing Art and Anxiety

Postby juliewolffang64 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:01 pm

I try to keep personal issues off the forums as they are of course rather personal, but because the recent attack on my anxiety is starting to take a bigger toll on my mental health - I need to come forward and ask others about it... As someone that has had a few negative experiences online when it comes to sharing art, is it normal/typical of folks to be setting boundaries and disallowing specific users from viewing and interacting with their content after waiting for their reply when it comes to asking them to remove their interaction? I know this already sounds absurd to the typical person but because I'm both autistic and have anxiety disorder (possibly generic/social/both), but I've been told that in a public space where fandoms are mostly adult spaces but allow minors to join in that having boundaries and blocking users is okay when it comes to maintaining that positive experience.
I've been used to using the block feature on Tumblr (site in question where I share my art) for those pesky bots (NSFW and regular alike). I admit that the only thing the blog in question did that might of set off a red flag was that there was only one post on their blog, both liked posts and following are hidden from public view. While I would like to share a piece for context, I feel like that would go against what this topic is supposed to be about... I would be more than happy to share it over on my usual forum hangout though. Regardless though, I really wanted to break out of my comfort zone for a long time now and the last time I've actually managed to share my art on a more public forum was back when I had a DeviantArt account back around late 2014 into 2015 before I deactivated due to stress causing more harm than good and the negative experiences overall. My main concerns are these:

1) For someone with anxiety, what would be some ways to help alleviate that anxiousness of sharing art to a wider audience?

2) Is it a bad thing to have boundaries set on who should be okay to have interacting with you or is it completely redundant at this point?

3) Is this type of anxiety normal to neurotypical/typically minded folks as well or is it just the neurodiverse/folks with mental disabilities?

Sorry if this sounds like a mouthful, but I can always try to expand any of those questions if needed... :worry:

Local time: Thu May 02, 2024 5:36 pm

:L_Wing: She/her + he/him; Genderfluid Ace :R_Wing:
Autistic, Anxiety, and Introverted :worry:

Re: Sharing Art and Anxiety

Postby galled » Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:31 pm

My take is to share is to risk criticism. That's the bottomline. With that said, nothing will ever be all good or all bad. While some will hate anything and everything, you can discount their opinions as being irrelevant. Harnessing valid critique is a tool for improvement.

Anxiety is normal, but the trick is to harness what may at first seem negative into a positive force for improvement.

Server Administrator

Local time: Thu May 02, 2024 4:36 pm

~Windlyn Daydream by Mouse

Windlyn is so fun,
Windlyn is so grand,
So come on everyone,
All across the land,
Come and join us now,
In this awesome site,
We will show you how,
Talking through the night.
~npixelz

Re: Sharing Art and Anxiety

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:10 am

I'm really not talented enough to post any artwork, I did break out of my comfort zone and post pictures on Kitalpha's Inktober thread one year because it didn't really matter if it was good, just a participation thing and no one really commented on the quality of what was posted. Although I admit I was nervous about posting it.

I know on WIndlyn you can post stuff on the proving grounds thread where people can look but not comment or you can do a thread and in the header specifically tell viewers to look and not post. It might help you get used to sharing your work. Not sure if that is what you meant. I have no idea about other sites. So you can share and not get comments if you were more interested in just sharing, maybe that would reduce anxiety?

Some people don't like their work to be "edited" but asking advice, as Galled mentioned, can help a person improve. But you can't take the critique personally you have to take it objectively. When I made a comment I wish I had a natural talent, someone on Windlyn commented that it takes many hours of practice to get good at something, no one is born with a natural talent. Some where else I heard it takes 10,000 hours of practice to get good at something. If we keep applying our self, practicing, learning, we improve. So, no one is perfect but we can perfect our work! :cool:
(Not sure if that is what you were meaning). :embarassed:

Local time: Thu May 02, 2024 4:36 pm

Return to Lifestyle & Health