Share your tips & tricks for life here, or help share your goals.

Sugar Cravings

Moderator: Ryvvi

Sugar Cravings

Postby Code » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:45 pm

I don't know if this is too "heavy" of a topic for a site like this, so please let me know if I need to delete it or anything. Also, if you're here to tell me "sugar addiction isn't real," you can get in line to fight me, sweetheart :')

I've had a hardcore sugar addiction for many years, and it reached a peak a few months ago (it was really, really bad). Now I've been using Tootsie Pops as a way to control cravings. Like, instead of eating an entire bucket of ice cream, I can have a Tootsie Pop or two to deal with the craving and keep myself in check. It's been working alright so far. Still, if someone else brings ice cream into the house, I can't always help myself :/

Anyone have methods for dealing with sugar cravings? Or anything related to the topic, really.

Local time: Thu May 02, 2024 11:51 am

Re: Sugar Cravings

Postby Diana » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:18 pm

I'll fight you, m8. ;)

If you're feeling cravings for sugar all the time, it usually means you really need to up your protein. Sounds like it's time to 'make them gains'!

Site Admin

Local time: Thu May 02, 2024 12:51 pm

Postby Mousy » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:14 pm

If I feel like i've been eating too much candy or sugar and i'm STILL craving it, I'll try to get it in a healthier way... like through fruits!

Local time: Thu May 02, 2024 1:51 pm

If you are talking to me, please ping or quote me. I get distracted and lose track of what I'm doing easily. :wink:

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:40 pm

I tend to want sugar when I am stressed out. If I don't have it around me I can't eat it.

Postby Maro » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:36 am

For me I tend to end up craving sugar only at certain times and extremely badly ... i tend to just dovvn as many clementines or kivvis as possible at that point.

Local time: Thu May 02, 2024 5:21 pm

Art by - ciel

Postby Silverfire » Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:02 am

I've been craving sugar but that is because I am stressed and drinking soda again.

I hate soda. But it makes me mellow out. But I hate it.

Local time: Thu May 02, 2024 2:51 pm

Postby Kitalpha Hart » Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:45 am

-buries you in sugar-

Idk how to actually fix it tho. Just try to not end up diabetic

Local time: Thu May 02, 2024 2:51 pm

hangout|art shop|card shop
BUTT CAPES
I need mah butt capes!
ImageImage

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:07 pm

i think you are suppose to eat more protein to reduce the sugar cravings? I forget though whether it matters what type of protein

Postby Lime » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:55 pm

I am 100% with you. Sugar is my enemy. I'm always craving it, and I have a gigantic sweet tooth. I try really hard to curb it, but it never works. Tootsie Rolls/Pops are really good for that. Or tiny chocolate eggs (they're like, my favourite). But I have such a hard time controlling it.

Honestly, all I do is just avoid buying it as much as possible. If it's there, I AM going to eat it. I have terrible willpower with sweet things. ;_; Although I'm aware of it, so I just don't buy any junk foods like that. D:

Although if you live with parents/roommates/siblings that do buy it, it's a pain in the keester. Believe me, I know. :(

Although protein I can't really eat (kidney failure!) so it's pretty tough to substitute it.

Local time: Thu May 02, 2024 3:51 pm

:L_Wing: :heart: :R_Wing:
it's good to be back
if you see me here and there
feel free to say hey
:wink:
- A Lime Haiku
:L_Wing: :heart: :R_Wing:

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:29 pm

so sad you have kidney trouble Lime. Yes, you do have to watch your protein intake then. You are very young to be having such problems, normally it hits in the 60's or so. Is your kidney problem from diabetes? You must have to be very disciplined.

I find eating a little dark chocolate is often enough to curb my sweet craving.

Postby Lime » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:09 am

I'm 21, and I was born with it, but I finally started noticing when I was around 17ish? I got it "fixed" when I was 19, but it was just an emergency surgery that took out the stones and infection, etc. I was actually diagnosed with 3 rare diseases in my left kidney, and you're right- they do all happen in people in their 60s, which is why they couldn't figure out why mine is this way!

And nope, I don't have diabetes (thankfully). I'm fit enough for my health.. Kinda. They really can't figure out why I have it. But, c'est la vie! The only thing I can do is wait until one day I actually lose one of them, and then get it taken out. But it's a lot of discipline! :(

Local time: Thu May 02, 2024 3:51 pm

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:19 pm

I was just talking to someone else, who said the last 3 generations of their family has had kidney trouble - not dialysis bad yet- but they have to watch what they eat. Funny how you hear something and then all of a sudden you come across other people with similar problems. She found out because she wanted to donate one of her kidneys and then was told that she couldn't as she had the same condition!It just hadn't shown up yet. I guess the fortunate part is that we can function with only one kidney.

Postby Candi Formaldehyde » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:23 am

I get intense sugar cravings, especially when it comes to ice cream. Sometimes I had a large glass of water and see if I still feel hungry after that (the body sometimes mistake hunger and cravings for thirst). After a continuous period of eating right and working out, your cravings will start to diminish. If you've already had a lot of sugar and want to stop, try brushing your teeth.

Local time: Thu May 02, 2024 11:51 am

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:18 pm

I've also found brushing my teeth helps me to stop munching and if I am eating healthier and regularly I eat less sugary foods.

Postby Dragon » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:15 pm

I've been reading a lot about cravings lately (mostly because I'm trying to change how I eat), and I found this, I hope it's helpful:

- Chocolate cravings might be a magnesium deficiency.
    - Soda/fizzy drinks might be a calcium deficiency.
    - General sugar cravings might be a deficiency of chromium, sulphur or phosphorus. It might also be hypoglycaemia (low blood sugar).

I also found this chart:

Of course, these are all things I found online, which might be wrong, but I think it's worth giving it a try to see how it goes. :grin_wink:

Next

Return to Lifestyle & Health