Share your tips & tricks for life here, or help share your goals.

Wanting some Advice

Moderator: Ryvvi

Wanting some Advice

Postby Maro » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:35 am

I'm trying to figure out if I should try weight lifting or jogging or something to get back into exercising more regularly. the only downside is i have to limit what i do when exercising in certain ways due to issues with my back and legs... :distress: any helpful advice would be much loved!

Local time: Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:33 am

Art by - ciel

Re: Wanting some Advice

Postby Lianna » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:39 am

Stretch
PT exercises are useful
I'd have to talk to mom about arm/hand ones, the ones I did were for my legs/feet

Local time: Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:03 am

Sup nerds check my main if you want my attention

Postby Diana » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:49 am

I'm all in favour of more weight lifting and strength training than anything cardio. Build strength, lose fat, feel good, all in one!
I don't know what issues you have, but olympic weightlifting focuses on form and control, so you can figure out what you can do and (in my opinion) have a lower risk of hurting yourself than say, twisting your ankles when missing a step while jogging.

Site Admin

Local time: Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:03 pm

Postby Silverfire » Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:18 pm

Stretching and weight lifting! You could try some of those peddle machines if you want to do something like walking but stretching and light weight lifting would be great into started back on exercising.

Local time: Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:03 am

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:27 pm

If you have issues with your back and legs then I recommend you go for physical therapy and they help train you on what are good strengthening exercises. Then when you are stronger branch out from there. Walking is still considered better on the knees then jogging, especially if you walk at a brisk pace.

Postby Maro » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:13 am

thank you for the advice! i'm going to try and do more weightlifting and stretching, jogging does seem to not be doing much other than me risking twisting my ankle. i've been walking more lately too

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:53 pm

swimming is also an all round good exercise and easy on your joints.

Postby murmurlade » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:07 pm

swimming is torture for me.... this is just a personal preference, but I like jogging/cycling over playing with weights, since its just to make sure I keep fit...

Local time: Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:03 pm

----------------------------------------
taugeeee @ twitter / deviantart / gaia
currently: questing bubble wings

always semi-hiatus due to work
please ping me if you want a reply.
----------------------------------------

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:10 pm

probably best to stick with what you know you will be consistent with. But weights are easy to do when you are watching t.v, you can try planks to...

Postby Maro » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:33 pm

i have a fear of deep water so swimming usually isn't a good idea for me

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:38 pm

swimming in a pool may help that a little bit... I can't stand deep ocean water either, because I am not a strong swimmer, but to pass my white sails sailing test (so that I could take a boat out by myself) they made me swim in the ocean where we would sail ( they needed to know if you capsized you could swim/keep afloat). I was SO scared and the water was sooo cold but i plugged away and finished. I'd never want to do it again but I learned that I could. I still swim mainly in the shallow area, I don't like to swim past where I can reach on my tip toes, and I exercise in the shallow end if I can.

Postby Maro » Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:37 am

and unfortunately this time of year there's no pool open to the public near me and it's too cold to swim in the lakes/ponds

Postby murmurlade » Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:18 am

also, if you go jogging or anything-- please be careful! ' n ' ) don't get mugged or anything like that.
no late night or early morning workout sessions haha

Postby Maro » Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:31 am

actually where I live the night time is pretty dead.... but the problem is if I go jogging it's near graveyards if I go off from the main road... or even stick to the main road... /sigh

Postby murmurlade » Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:40 am

graveyards... graveyards everywhere. good halloween vibe, but where the heck do you live?!

Next

Return to Lifestyle & Health