For all things related to technology- gadgets, science, code, and more- as tutorials, tips, tricks, or general discussions

Accessibility and Health Tech (or tech accessibility)

Moderator: Ryvvi

Re: Accessibility and Health Tech (or tech accessibility)

Postby galled » Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:36 pm

Then browsing in Windows shouldn't be a problem then regarding virus' if you stick to a Chrome variant like Firefox, Brave or Edge.

Look into your software a bit to see how to backup your settings/configuration (google-fu might lead to answers). That way you can always go back to your last saved configuration if you make a change you can't figure out how to get back. :)

Server Administrator

Local time: Sat May 11, 2024 1:50 am

~Windlyn Daydream by Mouse

Windlyn is so fun,
Windlyn is so grand,
So come on everyone,
All across the land,
Come and join us now,
In this awesome site,
We will show you how,
Talking through the night.
~npixelz

Postby Vivianne » Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:54 pm

I'm browsing windlyn on firefox!

I have a vague idea what to do, but there are a few things I'd like Amanda,Ananda, the consultant, to do because they are key functions.

Local time: Sat May 11, 2024 2:50 am

Postby galled » Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:33 pm

Vivianne wrote:I'm browsing windlyn on firefox!

I have a vague idea what to do, but there are a few things I'd like Amanda,Ananda, the consultant, to do because they are key functions.

Yay!!! I'm so excited!!! :cheer:

I understand about asking Amanda. Be sure to ask her about backing your configuration up/how to safely revert changes you make but may not like. That should reduce anxiety about customizing things. Customizing things to fit your workflow will be very helpful!

Server Administrator

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:28 pm

Here's an interesting article on using VR experiences to allow palliative patients to still experience life without being able to actually go there.

"A growing number of hospices are purchasing virtual reality headsets as a complementary therapy for palliative patients...
Ball said staff also want to start using VR technology that comes with a camera to shoot a family event, like a wedding for a resident who can't attend."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/h ... -1.5395933

One day we will get to the actual 3d real experience as if you are there...without having to wear the heavy head set.

Postby galled » Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:11 am

Happy New Year, Vivianne !

How's the tech adjustment going? Are you on your Windows box exclusively or do you find yourself casting from your phone still?

Questions: To get your consultant to help you, do you need to make an appointment to help you or can she help you via email and remote access?

Server Administrator

Postby Vivianne » Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:54 pm

That's a cool article, Lemon!

Adjustment is going well! My scan time is about 20% faster, though I am slightly more error prone. I am still cheating with typing, though I do use the switch for jigsaw puzzles.

I cast from my phone for live transcribe and certain mms attachments not compatible with my software. I have noticed that my software is extremely resource intensive. Sometimes I can barely run Firefox. I think the problem is sites with infinite scroll and embedded random video popup ads.

She can help through email. I do like seeing her because she signs. We do need to make an appointment because the wheelchair mount might need different parts.

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:13 pm

Sounds like you are making progress, Viv ...one day you will be the expert and people can come to you for advice!

Postby galled » Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:54 pm

20% is pretty good!

I hate autoplay, so I disable it. I can click the media file if I want to. Here's how to disable it in Firefox:
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/block-autoplay

Windows 10 has an awful lot of bloatware and other resource intensive things running in the background all of the time. I disable all Microsoft tracking/phoning home and things i don't use like Cortana (which also phones home). I can help you disable that stuff if you're interested (it will free up resources for the things you want run rather than have them stealing them for stuff you don't need/use).

I'm not sure what you mean by transcribe.

Server Administrator

Postby Vivianne » Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:16 pm

galled, you are amazing. I have not used an actual computer since at least 2016 and am lost.

It would be great to turn off bloatware!

Live transcribe is a Google app that real time transcribes sound. It's far from perfect but it does help under controlled conditions.

Postby galled » Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:37 pm

Well, I'm happy to help you with computer stuff! (I'm a professional, so I've seen quite a bit.) ;)

To disable Microsoft from phoning home/tracking you download and run this:
https://www.techspot.com/downloads/6747 ... eacon.html
click (portable on the left side under downloads. Once opened, just click the immunize button at the bottom.

To disable Cortana, it depends on which version of Windows 10. Are you on Win 10 Home or Professional? To see Press the Windows key (the old start icon will work too) and type System Information; Enter. The version of windows will be displayed on the first line.

Server Administrator

Postby Vivianne » Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:40 pm

Wow, zippier already! Thanks so much!

I'm using windows 10 professional, it appears!

Postby galled » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:15 pm

Yay!

OK! Pro is easier.
See the Pro section here to disable Cortrana:
https://www.pcgamer.com/how-to-disable-cortana/

Edit: Win 10 has speech recognition built in. I haven't compared it to Google's, but I it's supposed to be no worse than any others, so it should be worth trying if you have a mic on your computer.

See the section (#2) to see how to start it up.
https://www.pcgamer.com/how-to-disable-cortana/

Server Administrator

Postby Vivianne » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:43 pm

I like live transcribe because it notes background noise and tries to correct itself as it gets more context. It came out last year and Google worked on it with galluadet (the deaf university in D.C.)

I'm sure Microsoft is good, too, just I have a personal preference for gally and a more portable solution.

Postby galled » Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:11 pm

Sure, use what you like. That makes sense. If you ever want to try it, it's already part of Windows 10 so you don't need to install it or anything. You just need to run it (if you have a mic of course!). :)

If you still need more speed, we can look at shutting down programs that start automatically with Windows that you don't need or use.

Edit: I just looked up Live Transcribe. Would you be interested in running it on your Windows machine? (You'd still need a mic.) It should run in Chrome.

Server Administrator

Postby Vivianne » Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:38 pm

My surface pro is so zippy now even with c5 running! I might leave Cortana on until I figure out if it'll be useful to me.

I'm likely going to continue casting my phone onto the surface because I do use apps on the phone, and I would rather overuse a replaceable phone.

o/ yay! Thank you for all your help! Made a huge difference! Careful before I make a habit of asking you questions.

PreviousNext

Return to Tech