For all things related to technology- gadgets, science, code, and more- as tutorials, tips, tricks, or general discussions

Accessibility and Health Tech (or tech accessibility)

Moderator: Ryvvi

Re: Accessibility and Health Tech (or tech accessibility)

Postby galled » Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:13 pm

The Surface Pro should have a mic, so you're all set on that.

Cortana is really a resource hog and its main purpose is listen for voice commands (something I understand you won't be using). You could also turn it back on just as easily as turning it off (just click enable instead of disable and then save). But if you're happy, there's no need. ;)

I found several ways to get Live Transcribe to work on your computer. It seems to be very common in the deaf community so it's well documented. We can get that up and running when you're ready.

I'm so happy I could help! <3

Please feel free to ask away. You're my friend and a fellow Winner--and we Winners like to help! :hug:

Server Administrator

Local time: Sat May 11, 2024 7:52 pm

~Windlyn Daydream by Mouse

Windlyn is so fun,
Windlyn is so grand,
So come on everyone,
All across the land,
Come and join us now,
In this awesome site,
We will show you how,
Talking through the night.
~npixelz

Postby Vivianne » Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:06 pm

Darn, I really liked the idea of using Cortana somehow. My software does do text to speech, but I'm not sure if that can be done while windows is being emulated.

A major issue with putting live transcribe on desktop is I need a ridiculously simple way to launch it when I'm using the switch. I have that right now with the current setup.

I'm going to share some of this with Amanda because I can't be the only one who encountered resource issues. Basically, if your resolution was to be helpful and/or awesome, you're done.

Local time: Sat May 11, 2024 8:52 pm

Postby galled » Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:48 pm

Vivianne wrote:Darn, I really liked the idea of using Cortana somehow. My software does do text to speech, but I'm not sure if that can be done while windows is being emulated.

Actually, it's the reverse--the way/method being used is by emulating Android within Windows. Since Android is much less resource intensive (both in footprint and hardware), it runs at full speed (they actually have to slow it down in many cases when run on PC). It should work exactly the same as it does on your phone. I personally haven't tried it, but if others are using it like that, it really would be pointless if it didn't do both speech to text and text to speech exactly as it does on Android natively.

Vivianne wrote:A major issue with putting live transcribe on desktop is I need a ridiculously simple way to launch it when I'm using the switch. I have that right now with the current setup.

It should be able to be setup to launch automatically when you boot up (i.e. running all of the time), or set as shortcuts on your desktop. You'd have to ask Amanda how to set up "favorite" program launching from your device. If you let me know the program you use, I can look up on how it works. I can't imagine they made it too difficult to do/setup given the target market.

Vivianne wrote:I'm going to share some of this with Amanda because I can't be the only one who encountered resource issues. Basically, if your resolution was to be helpful and/or awesome, you're done.

You'd be surprised how many people just accept poor computing performance because they've literally have never seen/worked on a computer that wasn't bogged down. Most store bought computers come with so much software bloat that they just limp along fresh out of the box. But I will say that the latest versions of Windows (8-10) have come from "the factory" with bloat (some poor/sloppy programming, but the latest trend is tracking everything users do). You can disable most of it, but they've been known to enable things again in the latest updates. :frustration:

Oh, I have bigger resolutions every year. :wink: Being nice and helpful is just part of my nature and it gives me much enjoyment, so it's kind of selfish too. :)

I also never forget the kindness of others that have been helpful and patient with me, so it's kind of a what goes around comes around thing as well. :)

Server Administrator

Postby Vivianne » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:53 pm

Okay, my terminology mistake. It's called windows access - communicator 5 runs either noiseless browsing or switch mouse on top of the windows desktop.

The day we set up the surface, Amanda made a launcher for the phone emulator. I think chrome can be added in easily enough. I shall investigate!

<3

Postby galled » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:50 pm

Nice to see you, Vivianne !

OK, I looked it up. I'll research Communicator 5 (the Windows Access thing through me because Microsoft makes a database program named Access too!).

I found a couple of programs that emulate Android on Windows directly, so you wouldn't need to install Chrome to get an emulator to run. It sound like you already have one installed. (Thanks, Amanda!)

So all you'd need to do is install Live Transcribe from inside your phone emulator (go to play store and install.). If you can tell me the emulator you have I can look up step by step instructions. :)

Server Administrator

Postby Vivianne » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:56 pm

Oh, it's all already set up! I've been using live transcribe on my phone since April. The only big thing I have to do is modify page sets, which I am learning. :D

Not exactly accessibility, but I read AI is helping predict coronavirus.

Postby galled » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:11 pm

Oh, I meant running Live Transcribe directly on your Windows machine (via the emulator) rather than from your phone tunneling through your Windows box. You might be running it via emulator already and just don't know it? I suppose the way to tell is turn off your phone and see if it still runs on your Windows machine. :)

AI is already better than humans at detecting things breast cancer cells, so have no doubt we're only at the tip of the iceberg of what's possible!

Server Administrator

Postby Vivianne » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:18 pm

I'm tunneling through my phone. If android is really built for speed, would it be better to utilize the phone's resources for live transcribe?

AI has a lot of potential! Did I share the article about an AI writing poetry?

Postby galled » Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:25 pm

Believe it or not, but emulation of your phone on your PC is faster than any phone running apps natively. . PC's typically have better hardware in brute power and resources than nay phone unless it's really old or extreme budget models. A Surface is not a budget offering! :)

If you like your setup now that's good. Of course nothing says you can't have both setup to give you options and simply use one or the other when you feel like one or the other is better for your needs at that time. I just want to be clear so you know what options are there for you and there's really no downside to emulation for Live Transcribe on your PC. A lot of people run it that way. From the massive google results it's pretty common.

Server Administrator

Postby Vivianne » Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:24 pm

Okay, I'll look at it closely, thanks! Does it require my phone to be wired to my surface? If it doesn't, emulation is preferable.

Postby galled » Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:34 pm

Android emulation running Live Transcribe on your Surface will not require your phone at all.

Server Administrator

Postby Vivianne » Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:37 pm

Awesome! I'll get that set up as soon as my head clears. Thank you!

I do need to keep my phone in a certain range for text messaging on c5.

Postby galled » Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:50 pm

Vivianne wrote:Awesome! I'll get that set up as soon as my head clears. Thank you!

I do need to keep my phone in a certain range for text messaging on c5.

There are numerous text messaging options fo PC as well (although you may need to use another account depending on what your sms provider allows. One step at a time!). ;)

Server Administrator

Postby Vivianne » Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:56 pm

For texting, I think I'm stuck with the c5 option which has an integrated switch keyboard with a custom scan (I'm trying to get that set up for windows access!) That's not urgent. I really don't move around.

Postby galled » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:41 pm

I'll look into how C5 does texts. From my very brief look, C5 is just a menu/interface/front end that can integrate any program or app.

Server Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Tech