Enjoy cooking, baking, eating, recipe sharing, or just food in general? This is the place for you!

The Artistry(?) of a (former)(sous)Chef at Work!

Moderator: Ryvvi

Re: The Artistry(?) of a (former)(sous)Chef at Work!

Postby galled » Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:59 am

Thanks for taking a look! I thought they were grilled on some sort of BBQ. I have one, but flames might not be possible. :(

Hmm, I would say the outside has a slight crisp/crusty texture in parts (why I think it's a rub). The only taste I can absolutely identify is salt. There may be some magic in there, but I can't identify anything particular. Of course the middle depends on how rare/cooked it is, but I don't think it's marinated so it's soaked all the way through. I do seem to recall that they mention that the beef is "aged" (sounds pretty gross now that I think about it) so that may have something to do with the magic.

On the other note, I'm a fan of stir fry and stew, so I'm interested to learn what you can share about those! :)

Swiss mushroom gravy sounds wonderful too! However, I'm on a very low carb diet, so not sure I can partake, but I'm always interested in learning!

Server Administrator

Local time: Sun May 12, 2024 11:58 pm

~Windlyn Daydream by Mouse

Windlyn is so fun,
Windlyn is so grand,
So come on everyone,
All across the land,
Come and join us now,
In this awesome site,
We will show you how,
Talking through the night.
~npixelz

Postby Grass_Kitten » Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:20 pm

galled wrote:Thanks for taking a look! I thought they were grilled on some sort of BBQ. I have one, but flames might not be possible. :(

Hmm, I would say the outside has a slight crisp/crusty texture in parts (why I think it's a rub). The only taste I can absolutely identify is salt. There may be some magic in there, but I can't identify anything particular. Of course the middle depends on how rare/cooked it is, but I don't think it's marinated so it's soaked all the way through. I do seem to recall that they mention that the beef is "aged" (sounds pretty gross now that I think about it) so that may have something to do with the magic.

On the other note, I'm a fan of stir fry and stew, so I'm interested to learn what you can share about those! :)

Swiss mushroom gravy sounds wonderful too! However, I'm on a very low carb diet, so not sure I can partake, but I'm always interested in learning!

The aging process may have been what made it your favorite, so good news, that helps me a lot. Bad news, I doubt you have the resources to dry age beef. Worse news, while you might, I don't think you wanna know how that sausage is made. It can in fact be pretty gross.

Local time: Mon May 13, 2024 1:58 am

ghkjbknlhgkfjjgkhbj
Let's dream together
I smell new friendships!
:L_Wing: :heart: :R_Wing:
I de-published all my novels so here's my Twitch?

Postby galled » Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:29 pm

Yeah, probably don't want to know... :P

I've always thought that fresh is best with food. I guess maybe not when it comes to meat? When stuff gets close to expiration, well, I know a lot of expiration dates are "best if use by" and not dangerous to eat (probably a bit of wiggle room there as well)... hmmm, any guidance?

Server Administrator

Postby Grass_Kitten » Fri Sep 09, 2022 3:17 am

galled wrote:Yeah, probably don't want to know... :P

I've always thought that fresh is best with food. I guess maybe not when it comes to meat? When stuff gets close to expiration, well, I know a lot of expiration dates are "best if use by" and not dangerous to eat (probably a bit of wiggle room there as well)... hmmm, any guidance?

Age pretty specifically enhances wine, cheese, and red meat. Aging them though is literally controlled decomp tho so I suggest you leave it to the professionals. But if you need to stretch something's age definitely just freeze it or cook it for later, both will kind of reset the clock if it hasn't already gone bad. If you want to get a lot of what makes an air dried steak at home without having to cut fungus off of it later(yes that's part of the process), all I can suggest is dehydrate it and tenderize it. I haven't worked with any ingredients quite so fancy in many a year.

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:04 pm

oh gross, I think maybe I don't want to know how my food is prepared... or maybe I want to become a vegetarian... although I am sure fungus grows there too. :strain:

Postby Grass_Kitten » Sat Sep 10, 2022 12:42 pm

Lemon Cheesecake wrote:oh gross, I think maybe I don't want to know how my food is prepared... or maybe I want to become a vegetarian... although I am sure fungus grows there too. :strain:

Very real chance the next thing I post is vegetarian stuffed mushrooms but this is just a wild coincidence!

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:03 pm

That actually sounds like a great recipe to try! And healthy with the vitamin B's that are in mushrooms. I'll be interested to see which type of mushroom you use.

Previous

Return to The Kitchen