The place to talk about what's new and exciting in the world.

the sky & beyond: comet 3/31 to 6/2

Moderator: Ryvvi

the sky & beyond: comet 3/31 to 6/2

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:28 pm

January 2024 : You can watch rocket launches from Vandenburg Space force in California or from NASA in Florida live at spacex.com

New STAR TREK stamps coming out in the US this year for STAR TREK'S 50th anniversary!!

Track the satellite space station: http://eol.jsc.nasa.gov/HDEV/

New Star Trek movie release date is July 22, 2016 so I am assuming first day of stamp issue will be somewhere close to that date?

[+] SPOILER
'Star Trek' Postal Stamps Beaming in for 50th Anniversary
Four 'Star Trek' stamps that will be released to commemorate the franchise's 50th anniversary in 2016.
Credit: © 2016 USPS
Set phasers to mail! With space as much a "final frontier" today for "Star Trek" fans as it was in 1966, a new set of stamps will commemorate the sci-fi franchise's 50th anniversary.

According to the U.S. Postal Service, the four stamps are supposed to be inspired by "classic elements" of the first television series of the "Star Trek" franchise, which aired between 1966 and 1969. The show followed the exploits of the USS Enterprise and its crew, helmed by Capt. James T. Kirk. Its goal was to fulfill a five-year mission by looking for new civilizations and new worlds, and by boldly going "where no man has gone before."

The four new stamps will include the following:

The Starship Enterprise inside the insignia of Starfleet, the organization that explores the universe in "Star Trek," against a yellow background;
A crewmember's silhouette inside a transporter, which beamed people to and from the surface of alien planets. (It also was the origin of the famous phrase, "Beam me up, Scotty" — a famous misquotation of a command Kirk periodically gave to his chief engineer, Montgomery Scott, when he wanted to come back to Enterprise.) The silhouette is set against a red background;
The Enterprise seen from above, silhouetted against green; and
The Enterprise seen inside the outline of a Vulcan hand salute, most famously shown by the alien Spock along with the line, "Live long and prosper." This is set against a blue background.
"The words 'SPACE… THE FINAL FRONTIER,' from Kirk's famous voiceover, appear beneath the stamps against a background of stars," the U.S. Postal Service added in a statement. "The stamps were designed by Heads of State under the art direction of Antonio Alcalá."

This year, "Star Trek Beyond" will be released in theaters; the film stars the same rebooted "Original Series" cast that has made several film appearances since 2009.

"Star Trek" is one of several space-themed stamps that the USPS will release in 2016. The USPS also will send out "Views of Our Planets" showing full-disc views of the eight planets in our solar system, and a commemorative stamp showing the disc of Pluto, first visited in 2015 by New Horizons.

- See more at: http://www.space.com/31521-star-trek-po ... xtSwC.dpuf

(To check out all the upcoming stamps for 2016 ( PETS, PLANETS, PLUTO, MOON, FLOWERS to mention a few) at: https://about.usps.com/news/national-re ... 15_069.htm

Local time: Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:17 am

Re: Star Trekking.... (searching out star trek fans)

Postby Diana » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:52 am

That's so cool, Lemon! I want to pick up some of those! Too bad july is so far away...

Site Admin

Postby galled » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:57 am

Diana wrote:That's so cool, Lemon! I want to pick up some of those! Too bad july is so far away...

Like a "galaxy far far away..." Oh, that's another story! :grin:

Server Administrator

~Windlyn Daydream by Mouse

Windlyn is so fun,
Windlyn is so grand,
So come on everyone,
All across the land,
Come and join us now,
In this awesome site,
We will show you how,
Talking through the night.
~npixelz

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:04 am

Star Wars fans unite!

Anybody seen the new Star Wars movie? Opinions? Favorite new character?

Postby Watery Star » Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:24 am

Always meant to watch The Next Generation from beginning to end. I watched it as a kid because my dad was a fan. I like the new movies, hope the newest one is good.

I saw Star Wars recently. I enjoyed it and am anxious for more.

Local time: Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:17 am

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:26 am

I think I've seen every episode... original Star Trek, Next Generation, Deep Space 9, Voyager...all the movies... it's great that they are on DVD... I don't have a lot of memorabilia though...for some reason just mainly drinking glasses... can't wait for the postage stamps to come out though

Postby dragoness129 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:41 pm

Oh wow! These sound really cool!

Local time: Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:17 am

Currently Seeking: Pumpkin Pile Halloween 2014 and Observatory background
[Quest]

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:17 pm

I'd like to get a Star Trek uniform. well the top anyway, sometime but not sure which era I would prefer - but think I'd probably go for the blue science uniform color :grin:

Too bad they don't have Star Trek PJamas ... at least none I've seen. Maybe with the movie coming out in July there might be a regain in popularity

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:47 am

Oh my gosh, yes! I think I shall need to get myself some!! Thank you Watery!

< what was I thinking, you can get almost anything on the internet!>

Postby dragoness129 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:46 pm

Oh my yes! Think Geek is a great place! I just wish I had the money for the lovelies on there.

Local time: Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:17 am

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:14 pm

Well, I am hoping they have sales?

Postby galled » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:58 pm

They have sales almost every day. Just sign up for their email list.

Server Administrator

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:54 pm

ohhhh thanks Galled, I'm going to check that out... anyone bought from Think Geek before? Do they have good quality?

Postby galled » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:18 pm

They carry stuff of pretty good quality. Diana has some Star Trek socks that look well made. If you're looking for uniforms, the custom made stuff from China looks pretty good because they tailor it to your size. Not crazy expensive either. Check ebay. (-o-) had some custom made cosplay outfit and it exceeded my expectations.

Server Administrator

Next

Return to Pop Culture