The place to talk about what's new and exciting in the world.

2016 OLYMPICS chatter

Moderator: Ryvvi

2016 OLYMPICS chatter

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:56 am

ANYTHING OLYMPICS:
what have you been watching? What moments do you remember? Anything inspire you? Any sports you would like to see added or eliminated? Do you know any one who went to Rio for the Olympics? What do they think of the area and the games? What's in your local news about the Olympics? What the heck is "independent Olympics Athletes"? How much hype about Zika virus and pollution in Rio was on your news?

Here's a link to what countries have won medals:

http://www.nbcolympics.com/medals

SOME AMAZING AND HEARTBREAKING MOMENTS GOING ON:
Did you feel the agony of the men & women cyclists who had the lead until the very last corner only to be defeated?

Did you catch the awesome job from China in women's diving?

Did you cringe when Great Britain's gymnast looked like she fell on her head, had to stop the floor exercise because of it and then amazingly came back to complete two vault's despite being advised not to?

Check out the smaller countries that have sent fewer people but have gotten medals! Inspirational!

How about the athletes that have been robbed down in Rio?

Local time: Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:47 pm

Re: 2016 OLYMPICS chitter chatter

Postby Polaris » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:15 pm

So far all my local news has talked about is our Olympic Gold Medalists (mostly the Final Five (love the name ahhh), Katie Ledecky, and Michael Phelps). There are some mentions here and there about Zika around Rio and first cases of mainland infection down in Florida, but sadly not much news on pollution, government corruption, and riots in Rio. I wish they covered more of what's going on behind the game hype, but it is the Olympics after all; it's so easy to get swept up in the hype and forget about everything else.

Local time: Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:47 am

Quest Thread

"Smile at me when you see this flower later..."

Image(click for artist)

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:10 pm

As far as presentation, as seen from the cameras, the Rio Olympics have bright cheerful colors for banners and backgrounds and the areas they show look clean.

I haven't watched it live - that way you can flip past the advertisements and watch just the stuff you want. So sometimes I've heard on the news who won before I've watched it. I prefer doing it this way.

Competing at 11pm at night though? Can't believe women's beach volleyball have any energy left by that time.

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:09 pm

I know they were within the rules but the whole thing with the Ukrainian men's gymnastic team not stepping down and letting Switzerland step into their position upsets me. They didn't even compete and got to keep their position standing...I just feel like if it is a competition then there should be some competition going on and if you are too injured then have a stand in ready or (since they had 3 injured on their team) let the next team in line have an opportunity.

Is that typical for sports?

Postby Polaris » Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:09 pm

I honestly don't know, and I hope that it isn't but it is the Olympics and this opportunity does only come once every four years (summer olympics that is). I like how one of their gymnasts, Oleg Vernaviev apologized for what happened; in my opinion that took a lot of balls from him.

Watching the Phelps v Lochte Rivalry right now in NBC's Olympic Primetime, and ughghgh it's so nerve wrecking.

Edit: PHELPS WON

Local time: Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:47 am

Postby Bassy » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:56 pm

Unforgettable...

Local time: Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:47 am

Please feed and hold my pokemon?

Soup’s Pokémon!

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:12 pm

and he will probably never live it down! (hey he has won so many gold maybe that's how he scyches himself up! - determination)

I've been watching the gymnastics too - Final Five for their coach was thoughtful

Postby Diana » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:51 pm

I've been watching womens gymnastics, and that got me thinking... wheres the mens gymnastics? Is that not a summer sport? Did I just miss it? Some of the flips the american girls did were crazy! One of them did this super high jump and was perfectly flat and spun-- head over heels. D: so intense!

Site Admin

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:35 pm

sigh, they had men's gymnastics but the American team didn't do so well. Not sure if it is all done yet though.

And the women's was kind of disappointing in that it wasn't a close competition. However, I did enjoy watching it.

An interesting tidbit was they showed how Michael Phelps has been an inspiration to kids and now some of the boys are racing against him and the girls are winning medals. How rewarding to find out how you can be a source of encouragement to someone in a way that helps them to excel.

Postby Bassy » Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:21 pm

I enjoy watching volleyball and swimming.

Did that girl who beat the world record line by 2 seconds? It was great! I can't even swim that many meters lol

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:29 pm

Was watching trampoline - I never knew we had a trampoline competition in the Olympics! It was incredible how high theyjump - I'd be terrified!!

What ever happened to the ribbon competition? Will they be having that?

Postby Bassy » Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:28 pm

Oh wow, that is interesting.. I still find it kind of funny that Russia was supposed to be banned from 2016 Olympics (TRACK & FIELD) because of dope. But then got appealed the day before it started. Now, hopefully they learned their lesson.

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:35 pm

I heard rumor it was actually vitamin supplements....I wonder what the real truth is?

Postby Bassy » Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:51 pm

An article says it was only one athlete who was banned. ?

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:20 pm

all said i don't think Russia has been doing that great in the medal standings so far....I'll have to recheck today

Next

Return to Pop Culture