The place to talk about what's new and exciting in the world.

The World Around Us - bumble bee watch

Moderator: Ryvvi

Re: The World Around Us

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:48 am

I vote MissAutumn starts a historical/archaeology thread that explores the imprints of Earth history! ...omg you have come up with some great info and photo's!

That mask must have been so suffocating! I have to admit...with all our gadgets and technology I am happy to live in this time period.

It always amazes me how an imprint can last eons of time.

Local time: Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:29 pm

Postby MissAutumn » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:52 pm

Funny you should have said that, Lemon. I've been thinking of setting one up. It would be cool to see people share facts about their country's history. :cheer:

To be honest, I never understand why some people want to live in the past. I would be up for visiting it but I prefer living in the present. Times were so tough back then.

That's why history/archaeology interests me so much. How things that happened in the past still have an impact on us today.

Local time: Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:29 am

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:46 pm

and sometimes we don't seem to learn from the past but make the same mistakes over and over again!

Postby Adol Christin » Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:02 am

Do it MissAutumn

That's why history is important. Kids in school wondering why they have to learn but it's important to know that we made huge mistakes and only way to be informed enough to not make it again is to learn about it. Or I think.

Local time: Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:29 pm

你好! 我叫张伟。很高兴认识你。
Hello! I'm Zhang Wei. I'm happy to meet you.
Easy confused.

Questing Yin Cha themed hang out

Postby MissAutumn » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:29 am

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it

George Santanya 1863 - 1952

Good points Adol. I think a lot of people find history boring is down to how it's teached. They need to have the right teacher that can get kids more engaged with the subject.

The thread will be up in the coming days. I plan on having feature posts on the front page that will be updated about once a month. Sadly not free to make a start on it this evening.

Postby galled » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:53 am

I meant to reply earlier, but just getting back to this.

Re: Terracotta army

I'm just going by my gut feeling, but everything created there seems to have been made with love (as opposed to slave labor or strictly hired help who didn't get a darn). I had no idea there were animals created too, but it makes sense--you have to eat in the afterlife too! :)

Re: Living the Past

I'm with you guys on that! It'd be a nice place to visit (a short visit!), but I certainly wouldn't want to live there!

Server Administrator

~Windlyn Daydream by Mouse

Windlyn is so fun,
Windlyn is so grand,
So come on everyone,
All across the land,
Come and join us now,
In this awesome site,
We will show you how,
Talking through the night.
~npixelz

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:19 pm

YAY!!! Will look forward to seeing that thread MissAutumn...whenever you're able.

Postby MissAutumn » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:28 am

I plan to make it over the weekend. What forum would be best. I'm thinking hangouts?

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:16 pm

Nice! Look forward to visiting your new thread! Hangouts...lounge? Either would work.

Postby MissAutumn » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:47 pm

I forgot about making that thread. Oops

My friend found this picture online and sent it to me because she thought of me (I have a pet budgie). It's gloriously silly.

[+] SPOILER

Postby Vivianne » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:06 am

Oh, that picture is goofy!i wonder how someone came up with the idea.

Budgies are cute! My mom wanted one, but I read about the care involved and persuaded her we wouldn’t be good owners.

Local time: Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:29 pm

Postby MissAutumn » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:17 am

People can have such bizarre creativity.

They sure are. Budgies make great pets but they're not one I would recommend for everyone. You really need the time (and money) to take care of them. They can be quite delicate birds so you need to do so much research about them so they don't get sick. It's good you looked into them. So many people just get them on the whim. :scream:

Postby Vivianne » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:43 am

I think around the time my mom was considering it, I ran into posts by someone who had birds and they warned that birds needed a lot of care and attention and interaction. We’re kind of busy at times, and I’d hate to neglect a pet.

I love reading about birds, though. What color is yours?

Local time: Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:29 pm

Postby MissAutumn » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:49 pm

It sounds like it was the right choice. I'm sure you would have been able to look after them fine, but they thrive on social interaction. When your leading busy lives, you can't give the amount of time they need.

My budgie, Charlie, is yellow with a greenish back and grey primary feathers. He is a cutie and he knows it. :heart: I did used to have a female, called Luna, as well. She was blue with a white head and black bars (stripes). Sadly, we had to have her put to sleep back in July.

Postby galled » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:59 pm

Haha, just saw the picture (late the party). <Salutes Colonel Budgie!>

Server Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Pop Culture