Sculpting, jewelry making, sewing, knitting, photography- Anything that uses your hands!

Sewing

Moderator: Ryvvi

Sewing

Postby Shakespeare » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:03 pm

So I started watching The Great British Sewing B and it inspired me to try out sewing.
Mum still has her old Bernina Sewing machine and a couple of old strips of fabric, so she showed me how the machine worked and how to sew a straight line and a hem.
Also went and bought to patterns and some fabric. Gonna try making a skirt.

Anyone else know how to sew? If so what have you made?

Local time: Fri May 10, 2024 11:04 am

Image Image

Re: Sewing

Postby Diana » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:08 pm

I sew~

From scratch I mainly make hats(also jackets and things). Like fleece beanies and stuff. With animals or other fun things on them. And then costumes during con-season; cause none of my friends sew. :P
Other than that I really just tailor or repair old clothes.

Site Admin

Local time: Thu May 09, 2024 5:04 pm

Postby Shakespeare » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:11 pm

oooh, that's so cool. I'm a complete beginner x.x Never sewn a thing in my life lol
I got a few books from the library and there's a cute stuffed owl thing that looks relatively easy.
Bought a shorts pattern as well, so when I'm more confident I can try it out

Postby Diana » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:19 pm

I think the first thing I made was a pillow; so you're already doing better than I did. haha.

The real problem with sewing is getting pieces to match up. If you can do that, you're fine. The machine will basically do the rest. C:

Site Admin

Postby Shakespeare » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:36 pm

Aha, I should probably be doing a pillow first >w> but we only bought material for the skirt. x3
Oh well, it's not the end of the world if it doesn't look perfect.

Postby Diana » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:04 pm

I had to take a home ec class last year, we made pillow cases, which is nice cause you can use them. If you mess up with your skirt, you can always take out the seams and reuse the fabric; so it's not that bad. haha.

Site Admin

Postby Lime » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:48 pm

Oh wow, that's awesome! Good for you!

I tried sewing several times. :( I wanna start making skirts, ugh. My mom has a decent sewing machine. The only thing I've made is little dolls (terrible ones.. xD), a pillow, and dice bags for D&D. <3

Good luck!

Local time: Thu May 09, 2024 8:04 pm

:L_Wing: :heart: :R_Wing:
it's good to be back
if you see me here and there
feel free to say hey
:wink:
- A Lime Haiku
:L_Wing: :heart: :R_Wing:

Postby charity » Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:19 pm

i just acquired my great-grandmother's singer sewing machine c: (we tried to sell it for $10 at a rummage sale... but no one bought it, so i grabbed it.) i'm hoping as soon as i get it home i can try and find some patterns. i want to make shorts and skirts just because, but also cosplay stuff!!

Local time: Thu May 09, 2024 8:04 pm

Postby EvangelineLong » Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:35 am

I sew tons~ I'm a certified tailor and soon technical garment designer. :)

Local time: Fri May 10, 2024 2:04 am

Bjd tailor and mad hatter

Postby Shakespeare » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:26 pm

Aaaah, so jelly right now!

I bought some toy stuffing so I can make a pin cushion owo and I'm gonna try to finish the skirt finally T-T

Postby EvangelineLong » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:35 am

:) It's been a long 7 years of school and lots of papers/projects. And all that I've learned you could basically learn on youtube if you find the right videos. XD

Postby Moan » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:40 am

I do not sew, but I find the art of it fascinating.

Local time: Thu May 09, 2024 6:04 pm

"Do you know what you've got into? Can you handle what I'm about to do? 'Cause it's about to get rough for you. I'm here for your entertainment."

Postby Shakespeare » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:21 am

You know, when I had the chance to learn sewing in school I wasn't interested in it, but now that I'm older and love crafty things, I want to. >w> lol

Postby EvangelineLong » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:28 am

:D Ain't that the truth!
I still remember how the home-ed classes were so dull when we were sewing. But that was mainly because the teacher didnt let us do much besides an apron and a very simple skirt.
and all these things, now that I have more experience, look like something super horrible. Weird seams and so many bad lines. D=

Postby Mika » Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:23 am

You could say I'm still a beginner sewer... But last year I did borrow someone's sewing machine to make two cosplays. So I'm not a fresh beginner but the sewing machine still intimidates me haha. I did buy my own machine this year though and I plan on making more cosplays!

Local time: Thu May 09, 2024 7:04 pm

"Your name, frozen on my lips
Icecicles pierce my heart
Now I wait, to send out my wish
To find you where ever you are"

Next

Return to Crafts