A place to meet new people, and hang out in a club.

AliCat's Alley Way

Moderator: Ryvvi

Re: AliCat's Alley Way

Postby npixelz » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:35 pm

^^ no problem! Anything I can do!
And thanks! I appreciate being told I'm creative! ^^

Local time: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:05 pm

Currently seeking event items
Minecraft guild
Owner of many titles
Creator of many forum games
The Fairy Garden is my main place, but you'll also find me in other hangouts
Lastly, much love to everyone, and remember; Positive Mental Attitude!
Keep being awesome
:L_Wing: :heart: :R_Wing:

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:08 am

AliCat, are you figuring out what you plan to do when you graduate and what you need to do towards that?

We're here if you need suggestions or advise.

Local time: Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:05 pm

Postby NerdyAliCat » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:51 pm

Thanks Lemon. That's really nice of you to ask :heart:
I applied for the work experience course at my school and i had an interview about it last week since it's a very competitive course to get into. I'm also going to start looking into getting a part time job soon. I know i should look through some job websites and put my resume out there but i'm too shy ><

Local time: Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:05 am

ImageImage
Thanks Yorunaka! - Thanks Valentine Strange!

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:19 pm

The work experience course would be great experience! I 'm hoping you get it! But if not ...small steps are ok. Where do they put you to gain experience?

I found most of my jobs I got because I asked around if people were hiring or someone I knew worked there and they referred me...so ask your friend's/class mates if they work and ask if those places they work at are hiring. I don't know how it is over there but entry level jobs where I am are fairly easy to get. They are mainly looking for people who are reliable to show up to work and to finish their shifts and are ok with training if they know you will stick around.

What kind of jobes are you thinking of? Waitress jobs that give tips? Catering? Retail? Tourism? Dog sitting/walking can make a lot of money over here and that can be a great part time job.

Postby npixelz » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:23 am

How good are you at interviews? Because you'll need to be good at that, in order to clinch the deal wherever you want to work. If you need to, you can always practice doing an interview until you feel comfortable with your interview skills.

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:42 pm

Practicing for an interview is a good idea but even if you are nervous you want to make sure you don't say things like "i don't know" and leave it at that always say, I don't know, but I am willing to learn" or I haven't had experience with that but I am a quick learner" might sound better. Your employer mainly wants to know that you won't be lazy and that you are willing to learn.

So, my coworker's daughter who works at a local coffee shop is heading back to college and one of the new girls they hired to take over for her, on her first day said she was taking a lunch break and she never came back! You do not want to do that! If you do feel it is too much, you speak to the manager about it and see if you can start on something easier or see if you can have someone still mentor you longer...try to resolve what you are struggling with. Sometimes they can put you on a different task until you watch others longer and get more comfortable. Never just walk out without saying you are quitting. (And if you quit try to give notice).

Postby npixelz » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:08 pm

Yeah, that's true. Or when listing weaknesses, say that you're working on them. Like; I have a tendency to overwork myself but I'm taking steps to remedy that. Also say weaknesses that can also be considered strengths. Like; I tend to focus too much on getting my work done well, or something like that.

Yeah, that is definitely something you don't want to do.

Postby Watery Star » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:00 pm

Asking friends is a good tip. Try asking if anyone else is also thinking about working part time. You could job hunt together. Also family or really anyone who's older and you feel comfortable talking with, like a teacher or mentor. I discovered some jobs that had entry level positions that that I was unaware of before asking.

I'm not sure how it is now or where you are, but there may be some places that you can walk in and ask if they are hiring and if they have any job applications. I've had always done it that way. Found it harder to find jobs online without having any experience but things could be different now.

I wasn't good at job interviews but if you prepare ahead of time (reading articles with interview tips, research job positions that seem feasible to you) and dress appropriately for the job, are respectful, show you are interested in the job and willing to work hard; then you'd be showing you're willing to put effort into the job.
Some places will hire just about anyone especially if they have a high turn over rate. Other places can be really picky even with entry level positions. Knowing beforehand whether a job is hard to get or not can help you brace for your chances.

Good luck! I hope you get in the course.

Postby npixelz » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:13 am

Also, do your research. So that you seem well informed about the company during your interview.

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:24 pm

Is there a place/shop you like to hang out at? Sometimes ask in there if they are hiring. If they see you are a regular then they may be more apt to consider hiring you.

And having money coming in and being able to save some money is always a nice feeling.

Your cheerteam is right behind you!

Postby galled » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:32 pm

Bricka bracka firecracker sis boom bah. AliCat, AliCat, RAH RAH RAH!!!!

Server Administrator

~Windlyn Daydream by Mouse

Windlyn is so fun,
Windlyn is so grand,
So come on everyone,
All across the land,
Come and join us now,
In this awesome site,
We will show you how,
Talking through the night.
~npixelz

Postby npixelz » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:49 pm

And if you don't get in, move on. Think about what went wrong, and where you can improve, and move on. It sounds so simple yet it's so easy to forget. But most of all, just try your best, and I'm sure you'll get in.

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:42 pm

But first concentrate on doing well with your classes at school. You will have your lifetime to work, you want to try and do well at school in case you go on to continue your education. If youcan handle both though, a part time job can help to keep you organized and the extra $ is nice.

Postby NerdyAliCat » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:42 pm

Thanks guys :heart: I appreciate every word but i haven't replied to any of you because i've been really busy lately.
I find out on Friday whether i get in to the course or not! I'm super nervous but i've had a lot of other things to think about lately to keep me distracted... very distracted...

I appreciate every thing you guys said!

Local time: Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:05 am

Postby npixelz » Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:43 am

No problem! It's what friends are for! ^^
I hope you get in! I'll cross my fingers for you!

PreviousNext

Return to Hangouts