Sculpting, jewelry making, sewing, knitting, photography- Anything that uses your hands!

Sculpture

Moderator: Ryvvi

Sculpture

Postby Watery Star » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:07 am

Anybody into sculpting?
I'm mostly talking about working with clay but feel free to discuss other types of sculpting like carving wood or marble.

I loved play dough as a kid(who doesn't?) I worked with clay in middle school, the kind that had to be fired in a kiln. Around the same time my mom got some Sculpey iii polymer clay and I made a miniature thing or two. I took a college art class and worked with air dry clay once. Now I finally got to work with clay on my own terms.

For Christmas I asked my artsy friend for some oven baked(polymer) clay. She got me Sculpey iii which is good for miniatures but after more research I've found that what I really want to do is make figures. I like collecting anime figures and making my own would be really cool. Sculpey iii isn't the best for that so I'm looking to get Sculpey Living Doll clay.

If anyone has any questions regarding clay, figure sculpting, tools etc. I'd be more than happy to answer to the best of knowledge.

Local time: Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:09 am

Re: Sculpture

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:20 pm

I've tried oven baked polymer clay, because it is a little smelly I found using a toaster oven outside worked great to bake it.

I have made pretty flower petals using bread and glue blended together to form a clay consistency and then let your creation air dry or low oven temp. Food coloring can be added to the dough for colour or you can add cinnamon and nutmeg, roll it out and cut with cookie cutters to make a fragrant ornament for the holidays.

Making dolls is above my league but it would be fun to try.

Local time: Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:09 pm

Postby NerdyAliCat » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:06 pm

That's sounds really cool!
I'd love to see some pictures of your creations

Local time: Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:09 pm

ImageImage
Thanks Yorunaka! - Thanks Valentine Strange!

Postby Diana » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:04 am

I'm really bad at sculpting from clay. I have taken a class or two and learned some techniques, but my pieces always turn out lopsided or they fall apart. I did ok with making polymer clay beads and fimo canes though. Major kudos to anyone who sculpts, I should stick to 2D haha

I've been watching this youtube channel recently, lovely4u -> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQnKi3 ... SfbqP_KVFw, and they make such cool figures! It looks so easy when they do it!

Site Admin

Postby Watery Star » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:27 pm

Lemon - That's neat. My mom use to make a sort-of play dough from scratch that was actually edible. I opted for polymer clay because it doesn't set until it's baked. I'd hate to be in the middle of something and have to take a break only for it to be unworkable when I get back to it.

Alicat - I made a miniature pumpkin. I posted it to the pumpkin contest thread. I'm waiting for my other supplies to be delivered before I can start on a figure.

Diana - It can be hard to get things the way you want it to in a class with the limited time you have. I haven't tried making any canes yet but I've seen some videos involving them.
I've been watching them too, I love their videos. I practiced making a leg like how they do it and it isn't as easy as they make it look. lol

Postby mdom » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:08 pm

When I was a kid I remember teaching my friends in school how to sculpt cashews (the fruit). Good times yo xD
I used to like play d'oh a lot. What has time made with me...

Local time: Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:09 am

by Valentine Strange

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:36 pm

you sculptured cashew nuts? They are so tiny! (Oops, I see you said fruit, I am going to have to google that as I have never seen the tree or fruit of a cashew in real life).

Postby Watery Star » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:14 pm

I googled it too. Looks like boxing gloves.

I made my armature for my sculpture.
My armature is a wire frame and acts like a skeleton. I will add my clay on top of it. The armature is there to give it a solid structure.

First, I looked for a reference pose I liked and was able to find a couple taken from multiple angles. I had to use another reference for the arms because they were dull being at the sides. I wanted my mage to be holding her tome and wand so I found the closest reference I could of that. I can share the reference images if you like. I drew my character on the scale and size I wanted, 12." Then I marked all the joints.

I took 18 American wire gauge copper wire, over twice the length of my 12" figure scale drawing. I then parted it halfway and twisted it to form a neck. Measured and bent to form shoulders. I ended up discarding this though and tried a different method. Those sticks are wooden dowels that I cut to each limb length. The next step was wrapping wire around the dowels.

I wrapped 18 AWG wire around both parts of the arm first individually, then wrapped another longer wire to join them together. I can still move the arm at the joint so it's not fixed in place.

I did both arms and legs then made another for the shoulders this time using 14 American wire gauge, which is a bit thicker. I tried to use one long wire to form the neck then have the excess wrap around the shoulder dowel but it wasn't long enough and part of that wire broke with me fussing with it too much. That was the only time the wire broke on me besides the end of the wire sometimes getting out of shape and having to cut it off. Anyway I had to add extra wire to the shoulder dowel to form the neck. As you can see there is extra wire hanging down. I twisted it to form a torso.

Made the torso and then wrapped the hips dowel together with it. I left myself extra wire on the one side to join the right leg with the hips. I wish I had done this with both legs.

Wrapping the hip to the right leg wasn't too bad but joining the left leg was problematic. I couldn't get the wire to connect the two easily and when I finally managed it the left leg felt loose and not sturdy like the other limbs. I had to put electrical tape around that joint but it's still loose. I'm going to be using modeling clay that's oil based and wont dry with this armature. I can always remove the clay if I end up not liking the armature.

Final pic of the armature. It stands less than 12" but oh well. Added electrical tap to all the joints just for extra protection.

Postby Gingerale » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:16 pm

How's the sculpture project going?

Local time: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:09 pm

Postby Watery Star » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:38 pm

I had to put it on hold.
I need something to support the armature when upright before I can continue.

Postby Mouse » Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:15 pm

I love polymer clay!! I was thinking of making some magnets for vday with it but I havent decided yet

Local time: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:09 pm

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:08 am

We've used an old toaster oven and cooked the polymer outside ( to reduce the fumes inside) in that before,

Postby khadijacandy » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:53 pm

i took a sculpting class once but i don't remember much from it

Local time: Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:09 am

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:33 am

I've never taken a sculpturing class, it would be fun to try a wet clump of clay on the wheel though and to be able to chip away at a piece of rock, making it into something cool.

Postby Watery Star » Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:11 pm

I was so tempted to take a sculpture class at my community college. But it was poor timing when I found out about it.
I haven't done anything with my polymer clay in years >.< I should get back to that at some point.

Next

Return to Crafts