The place to relax and hold discussions about specific topics, and conversations, or to just have a nice little chat!

Spring is coming!

Moderator: Ryvvi

Spring is coming!

Postby Tuijp » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:50 am

This is year is the first year ever that I have a house and garden for me alone. I've been changing things around in the house lately, but still have a few things to clear out/clean up/change.
Yesterday and today were nice days here, so I went into the garden to do some of the hard work. There is a part where I want grass and I had to dig that out. I did so yesterday, together with vlocking that part off for the chickens. I always dreamed of having a cottage garden and I want to make that this year.
I threw some seeds for flowers around and soon I can do the same with the grass. I also have a few new plants and some plants that are in pots now.

Anyone else ever had a dream garden? If so, what kind?

Local time: Sun May 12, 2024 1:05 am

Re: Spring is coming!

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:14 am

How fun for you! What kind of flowers are you growing? ...to ensure an even grass area, you may want to look into getting sod, it's already grown and instant grass. Watch your chickens and the local birds don't eat your seeds.

Local time: Sat May 11, 2024 6:05 pm

Postby Tuijp » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:27 am

I got all sorts, from forget-me-not to roses. I also have a few mixes:

Yeah we used to have grass sods, but they're hella expensive. I have grass seeds for the complete garden for 20€, while, with the sods, I'd pay 150€+.

I blocked the to grow part of for the chickens and the birds usually go where the chickens are (because that is where the food is).

Postby mdom » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:11 pm

a rainbow made with flowers is my dream, of course

Local time: Sat May 11, 2024 10:05 pm

by Valentine Strange

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:22 pm

ouch, sod is expensive!

So pretty, they are wild flowers here...and should seed and grow each year on there own. Roses are lovely. I have a peace rose in a barrel (otherwise the gophers get the flowers) and some red and yellow and pink ones. I had a lilac color but it didn't get watered enough one year and sadly didn't survive.

Postby Tuijp » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:37 am

mdom: you mean like this?

Lemon Cheesecake: some of the roses I have in my garden just appeared out of nowhere. I recognized them because of their leaves.
I also want to get some lavender in my garden, because I always loved that smell. I just have to wait a few months before I can get them.

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:40 pm

That is beautiful!

Mdom you should be so happy Tuijp sent you a flower!!

Can I just call you Tulip? What does Tuijp mean anyway? When I google it, it looks like it is a town?

Postby Gingerale » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:51 pm

It's spring here all year, flowers are constantly blooming.

Local time: Sat May 11, 2024 5:05 pm

Postby Tuijp » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:20 am

Lemon Cheesecake: I know how to make her happy
No you can't. Tuijp is a common last name in the area where I'm born.
Gingerale: I want to live where you live.

Postby galled » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:14 am

Tuijp wrote:[url=http://windlynonline.com/cgi-bin/forums/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=74]

Ooo, I'm curious. How is that pronounced? Is the j pronounced like a y as in Spanish?

Do you know what if anything it means?

Finally, is it your last name? (You don't need to answer that. I'm just curious. I love that there are friendly people around the world here and I get to know them!) :)

Server Administrator

~Windlyn Daydream by Mouse

Windlyn is so fun,
Windlyn is so grand,
So come on everyone,
All across the land,
Come and join us now,
In this awesome site,
We will show you how,
Talking through the night.
~npixelz

Postby Tuijp » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:50 am

galled wrote:
Tuijp wrote:[url=http://windlynonline.com/cgi-bin/forums/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=74]

Ooo, I'm curious. How is that pronounced? Is the j pronounced like a y as in Spanish?

Do you know what if anything it means?

Finally, is it your last name? (You don't need to answer that. I'm just curious. I love that there are friendly people around the world here and I get to know them!) :)

The j is part of the old Dutch way to spell the ui sound. Nowadays, we only write it as ui. As far as I know, the Dutch language only uses it.
In English, it would pronounced as Tu-eep.

I have no idea if it has a meaning. I never managed to find the meaning.

And no. I wouldn't be so silly to use my own last name. No need for stalkers.

Postby galled » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:22 pm

Thank you for the explanation!

"Tu-eep" sounds very cute! I like it very much! :heart:

Server Administrator

Postby Tuijp » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:32 pm

galled: just a shame the English language doesn't have a word with a ui sound.

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:40 pm

I hope I didn't offend you! I was just thinking how you love flowers and everytime I look at your name my mind switches it to something that is familiar to it. :strain: <I hope you will forgive me! I suppose it seems worse to you since you are in the Netherland's and we connect the Dutch with beautiful tulips>

Our modern English language is very boring. But if you read Olde English it actually was a more colorful langauage. Some members on here can speak so many languages...I am so jealous, it just doesn't make sense in my brain.

I have found the gophers don't really like daffodils or the paper whites so I try to grow those. Somewhere there is a plant thread on here with pretty pictures of plants. You should post some of your photo's of your flowers when they grow (if you are comfortable with that).

Postby Tuijp » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:11 am

Lemon Cheesecake: no you didn't offend me. It's just that there are only a few who are allowed to call me Tulip.

I can speak English, Dutch, German and some French and Danish.

I have a bunch of daffodils in my garden.
And yeah I can do that, once things are growing. It's cold here right now, so they're all hiding under ground. Can't say I blame them.

Next

Return to The Lounge