New here? Introduce yourself!

Curious newcomer

Moderator: Ryvvi

Curious newcomer

Postby snack cake » Fri May 03, 2019 12:51 am

Hey there.

I've come from various other avatar websites, though one I loved the most was TinierMe. I'm kind of shocked that one person is the developer and artist for this website; that's a lot of work!
Your poor wrist.

I mostly joined to see if there's any opportunity to help and just curious about the development. I'm a professional artist that mostly works in games. I create items for another avatar website and I 3D model environments for personal projects.

Here's some of my poopy 3D work:

Thanks! :grin_wink:

Local time: Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:11 pm

Re: Curious newcomer

Postby NerdyAliCat » Fri May 03, 2019 12:56 am

Hi! Welcome to Windlyn
Look at those small details! Very cute
We're all pretty friendly around here so i hope you enjoy your time here :grin_wink:

Local time: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:11 am

ImageImage
Thanks Yorunaka! - Thanks Valentine Strange!

Postby galled » Fri May 03, 2019 10:48 am

Welcome to Windlyn!

(Love your username! So perfect!) :)

Yes, Diana has done quite a bit and her wrist has been giving her problems. :(

We'd love help! :heart:

The coding bits have a much steeper learning curve, so our thoughts have been if we could recruit some assistance in the art and community areas, this could allow Diana to focus on bringing the new features currently on the drafting table to fruition sooner. We're working on setting up avenues to let users contribute to Windlyn's item catalogs. A site statement, design docs and specs are in review and I hope to make everything available soon, but our events have taken priority and got pushed back.

Your work looks fantastic! I'd been thinking about exploring the idea of bringing Windlyn's avatars to life so to speak (3D modeled animations). Perhaps you're just the right person to come along at the right time?! :cheer:

Anyway, I also hope you enjoy your time here. We're small, but everyone is super-friendly! :L_Wing: :R_Wing:

Server Administrator

Local time: Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:11 pm

~Windlyn Daydream by Mouse

Windlyn is so fun,
Windlyn is so grand,
So come on everyone,
All across the land,
Come and join us now,
In this awesome site,
We will show you how,
Talking through the night.
~npixelz

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Fri May 03, 2019 6:25 pm

Welcome to Windlyn ~ I like snacking on cake too! Do you have a favorite type of cake you like to bake or buy?

Your art work looks very professional, are you able to make money with the graphic designing at all?

Please visit the links in my thread for my game threads and charity. Don't be afraid to chat in any thread, we might not always be on at the same time but everyone is friendly.

Postby snack cake » Fri May 03, 2019 10:57 pm

galled
Thanks!
I hope you don't mind me asking some questions. How long has this website been open? Is the userbase still thriving (maybe more so during events) because I noticed it's a bit slow. Which, I get it, as this is still in beta and the team is small.

I'd probably recommend 2D animation than 3D because, ah well, it's a tedious process. There's a lot of steps that goes into 3D than 2D. Maybe you guys can look into animated items (TinierMe/Selfy is real big on animated items/auras)!

Lemon Cheesecake
I don't have patience to bake! I have a soft spot with cake that has fresh fruit but I also like those roll cakes. When I was in college, I'd always stop by this little cake shop and eat their mini cakes when I felt really stressed. :grin:

I'm still trying to break into the game industry (it's tough) but the 2D freelance has a decent pay. I recently made some alien themed items, so I'm excited when those are released! :cheer:

Postby Gingerale » Fri May 03, 2019 11:13 pm

Welcome! Visit my newbie welcome thread for a welcome gift!

I think if you look at the topics on the Forums page you can get an idea of the procession of things. I believe Windlyn was created end of 2013.

I like white sponge cake with whipped cream and fresh fruit in between the layers.

Do you have any pets irl? Hobbies?

Postby snack cake » Fri May 03, 2019 11:26 pm

Gingerale

Oh wow, that's a decent amount of time.
I enjoy it when cakes are light because then I can have a nice cup of tea.

As for pets, not anymore, the most loved one was a Jack Russel Terrier named Billy. He was a good doggo.
Most of my pets are in a better place now. :L_Wing: :smile: :R_Wing:

Hobbies, might be kind of boring, but it's basically me 3D modeling environments. I just really enjoy creating worlds and a lot of inspiration (cliche) is animal crossing. But if you manage drag me away from art, it'd be trying new foods.

I'm a glutton workaholic. :wink:

Postby galled » Sat May 04, 2019 1:17 am

Gingerale is right--Diana started Windlyn when she was 15! We have a couple of members that pitch in for drawing event items, a couple of mods, and I work the server stuff, but it's pretty much a one woman show for the most part.

It gets busier during events, but we didn't even announce the last on the front page (that's how over-extended Diana is). We've never advertised or even tried to spread the word aside from our social media pages, so I'm always amazed that anybody finds us at all! I think it's nice to be low-key and at a comfortable pace when you're building things.

As for Beta, it's more like Alpha plus or closed Beta--new features in the pipeline/being tested but not live still. Windlyn's take on TinierMe-ish features--I can't say too much but let's say we've covered a lot of that ground already and exploring 3D is a new half-step we need to take to help bring things all together. ;)

I've done 3d rendered computer animation work in the real world, but modeling and texturing--I'm not an artist. :(

That said, I think we're about ready to take things to the next level, so I hope to spell out things (between events!) that I hope might interest you and anyone wanting to help get us ready to go public Beta. Please stick around and let us know your thoughts! (PM is ok too, but nda limits specifics on some things.)

Server Administrator

Postby Akuyi » Sat May 18, 2019 7:18 am

galled wrote:The coding bits have a much steeper learning curve [...]

Are you referring to the desert of despair? XD

Local time: Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:11 am

Questing with my trusty steed Oculus in the lands of Vee-Ar.

Postby galled » Sat May 18, 2019 7:52 am

lol something similar with a steeper curve that begins after you get the job with less of a dip.

Server Administrator

Postby Akuyi » Sun May 19, 2019 1:28 am

Oh boy. :D

Postby Gingerale » Sun May 26, 2019 10:07 am

I'm at the handholding stage and definitely lack of confidence!

Postby Akuyi » Mon May 27, 2019 2:35 am

So at the very start? :D

Return to Welcome Wagon