New here? Introduce yourself!

I'm here!

Moderator: Ryvvi

I'm here!

Postby Lucy » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:34 pm

Hello! :grin:
I'm not great at introductions, but here we goooooo.

I'm currently 19 years old, and I'm a biology major.
I enjoy gaming on any platform, but lately I've been on Xbox and PC more.

I like drawing, sorta.
I haven't done it in a while though, so I'm probably really rusty.
I also like writing stories. I've never completed anything, but maybe one day I will. :cheeky:

I'm into theatre.
I've been performing since 1st grade, but recently my theatrical participation has been dying down. I still like watching plays and musicals though!

I love animals! I don't have a favorite animal because I love them all! :heart:
I really like planting and growing stuff too. I'll start a garden one day.

Sooooooo...
Windlyn is awesome and I'm enjoying it already! :cool:

Local time: Wed May 15, 2024 10:21 am

Re: I'm here!

Postby galled » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:54 pm

Welcome to Windlyn!

I just met another new member who is a bio major too! That's so awesome that you guys like science outside of IT (although I guess both fields work with "software!" ;)

What is your favorite musical? I like the classics like THE SOUND OF MUSIC, MARY POPPINS, etc, but I really like (don't laugh) Barbie's PRINCESS AND THE PAUPER! (I'm a sucker for good melodies and harmonies.)

Glad you like it here so far. Make yourself at home! :)

Server Administrator

Local time: Wed May 15, 2024 8:21 am

~Windlyn Daydream by Mouse

Windlyn is so fun,
Windlyn is so grand,
So come on everyone,
All across the land,
Come and join us now,
In this awesome site,
We will show you how,
Talking through the night.
~npixelz

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:55 pm

Welcome to Windlyn! I like gardening as well...and when you can't have a garden you can always plant a mini one in a container! Do you like flower gardens or growing veggies? I've been trying to grow a small herb garden in a flowerpot outside but the snails seem to get them before they have had a chance to grow very big. :cry: I don't have a sunny window to put one inside.

Please come visit my threads...links for my game threads and charity are in my avatar's signature.

Fishing pond is every 8 hours and it has backgrounds and other cool stuff in it so make sure you check everyday.

If you make highest score on the doughnut game I will gift 500 feathers!

I've always loved looking at things through a microsope..it's a whole other view/perspective on the world!

What area of research do you like to focus on?

Postby MissAutumn » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:15 pm

Hi Lucy,

I'm also new to Windlyn. Your introduction was fine; better than mine. :cheeky:

That's cool thing to study. What's your favourite thing about studying biology?

I'm the same with animals. It's hard to pick a favourite. I'm a bit obsessed with Giant Anteaters at the moment. :cheer:

Local time: Wed May 15, 2024 3:21 pm

Postby Lucy » Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:59 am

galled wrote:Welcome to Windlyn!

I just met another new member who is a bio major too! That's so awesome that you guys like science outside of IT (although I guess both fields work with "software!" ;)

What is your favorite musical? I like the classics like THE SOUND OF MUSIC, MARY POPPINS, etc, but I really like (don't laugh) Barbie's PRINCESS AND THE PAUPER! (I'm a sucker for good melodies and harmonies.)

Glad you like it here so far. Make yourself at home! :)

Haha, what were the odds of meeting more than one! :grin_wink:
Versatile area of study, I’d say...or at least think? :P

I won’t lie, the Barbie musicals are reaaaally good. No judgment here! XD As for me, my favorite musical is Sweeney Todd! :heart:

Postby Lucy » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:13 am

Lemon Cheesecake wrote:Welcome to Windlyn! I like gardening as well...and when you can't have a garden you can always plant a mini one in a container! Do you like flower gardens or growing veggies? I've been trying to grow a small herb garden in a flowerpot outside but the snails seem to get them before they have had a chance to grow very big. :cry: I don't have a sunny window to put one inside.

Please come visit my threads...links for my game threads and charity are in my avatar's signature.

Fishing pond is every 8 hours and it has backgrounds and other cool stuff in it so make sure you check everyday.

If you make highest score on the doughnut game I will gift 500 feathers!

I've always loved looking at things through a microsope..it's a whole other view/perspective on the world!

What area of research do you like to focus on?

Awwwww, snails! The pots I have that are outside, I place upon a tall patio table. We have stray cats here that like to stick around, and it keeps them away from it. Maybe it’d keep snails away too! :wink: I’d really like to grow flowers and vegetables one day, but I’ve mostly just been growing fruit. Right now I’m growing a mango tree, haha. It’s still a little sapling though. I’ve attempted to grow a watermelon, but it was the smallest watermelon ever! XD

I agree with what you said about the microscopes. Some of the specimen are so pretty, and seeing things alive is so cool too! :grin: As for the area of research I like to focus on, it’s really hard to choose. Zoology, marine biology, and botany interest me a lot, but I’m also really fascinated with immunology. I guess that’s why I’ve just been taking a general biology route. :grin_wink:

Postby Lucy » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:18 am

MissAutumn wrote:Hi Lucy,

I'm also new to Windlyn. Your introduction was fine; better than mine. :cheeky:

That's cool thing to study. What's your favourite thing about studying biology?

I'm the same with animals. It's hard to pick a favourite. I'm a bit obsessed with Giant Anteaters at the moment. :cheer:

Welcome to Windlyn! :cool:
I’m sure your introduction was perfect. I’ll find it! :grin_wink:

Biology is so fascinating to me. I’ve always liked science, but biology is my favorite branch!

I never knew there were Giant Anteaters. I knew anteaters existed, but not giant ones. Googled it, and wow they are massive and cute. :heart:

Postby galled » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:09 am

I just started allergy immunotherapy a little over a month ago. It seems so primitive (can't thing of a better word) --it's almost barbaric--I think Star Trek has skewed me on what's possible and I expect more :/

But I think it's helping!! I'm usually suffering this time of year.

Anyway, do you mean vaccinations etc, by "immunology?"

I wish we had an anteater to help cull the invading hoard in my yard. They want to get inside my home!! :0

Server Administrator

Postby Lucy » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:40 am

galled
I just realized I could ping, so maybe quoting entire posts was unnecessary. I read the ping rules, so let's hope I did this right! XD

By immunology, I do mean vaccines. I was just a bit vague about it due to the controversy it can stir. :strain:

I think I tried immunotherapy for my allergies + asthma, but I didn't go through with it. I didn't have much knowledge over it at the time, and I wasn't exactly comfortable with being injected with what I was allergic to. (I'm pretty sure that was immunotherapy? Or maybe just an allergist experimenting, I'm not sure. I was probably like 10 years old when I did it XD). What do you do for immunotherapy for your allergies?

Ants are definitely pesky! I learned a little about them in a lab I was in last semester. It changed my perspective a bit, but I still don't want them around!!! :cheer:

Postby galled » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:15 pm

Lucy

You got the pinging right!

I understand about the vaccines. I'm sure there are side effects, but are they worse than the disease they're preventing? I suppose it depends on the side effects, but I believe most of the hoopla is unfounded. That said, I believe in freedom, etc., but I draw the line when people endanger others (and/or cost me money and I have no say in it!).

Yes, for my allergies. I have mild asthma too, but you know, I've had less symptoms since I started the shots. It didn't occur to me until a few days ago that asthma is just a lung allergy! Duh! :tongue:

Ants are pretty interesting if you remove them from my immediate area! I mean, are they like automaton and only do as they're programmed or (think A BUG'S LIFE! Heh)... :feather:

Server Administrator

Postby MissAutumn » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:07 pm

Lucy

Science is cool. I wanted to study Biology but I just missed out on the grades to do it at A Level. So I went with Archaeology and History when I went to uni - we get to do environmental science in archaeology. So makes up for it in a way. :cheer:

They're amazing. I went to a lecture about them a couple of months ago. It was about how they're trying to protect the species. What animals interest you the most (currently)? :)

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:39 pm

ohhh...for environmental science in archaeology what exactly are you looking at? I love watching the secrets of the dead and other documentary series on history.

Postby MissAutumn » Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:47 am

Lemon Cheesecake wrote:ohhh...for environmental science in archaeology what exactly are you looking at? I love watching the secrets of the dead and other documentary series on history.

We take mud samples from excavation sites to look for tiny artefacts (sometimes big if something is incased in a clay soil) that are really easy to miss. So this can be bones, grains, very tiny bits of pottery and metal. You also find the odd fossil now and again.

It really helps build a bigger picture of what people were potentially doing on a site and whereabouts on site. It can also tell us a bit about their diet and if they were trading with other places - e.g. The site is far away from the sea but we find quite a bit of oyster shell. It would suggest they may have had links to a coastal community.

It's fun stuff. I really miss doing it.

Postby Lucy » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:28 am

galled

I agree with you. Of course there are side effects, and not every vaccine works depending on the person’s immune system. We don’t fully understand them yet, but I think history and modern medical science shows us that they are still effective. I’ve read several peer-reviewed studies/experiments over them, and links between vaccines and hypothetical side effects are too insignificant to justly claim that vaccines cause whatever, haha. That said, I do believe in freedom too, but I believe there are limitations when those choices are definitely endangering others. Freedom of speech, for instance. I’m pretty sure you can’t yell “fire” in a crowded place when there’s no fire. Just causes chaos and can result in someone getting hurt. :strain:

I hope that didn’t come out wrong! XD

There are cases where people can’t receive vaccinations due to compromised immune systems or religious beliefs, but there’s a thing called herd immunity which works and protects people like that!

I had no idea immunotherapy was that effective for allergies! Might make me reconsider. :grin_wink:

I think ants are basically programmed, sorta? What I learned about was how they dealt with a parasitic fungus within their community. Basically, this fungus takes over their brain and causes them to kill themselves. Once they die, the spores spread so it will infect the others. When the ants are infected, they start doing this thing where they grab at their head and they start to climb as high as possible. When other ants see this, they quickly transport the ant far away from their home so it can’t infect anyone. Their survival instincts are wild! XD

Postby Lucy » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:36 am

MissAutumn

Awww, I’m sorry about that, but environmental science in archaeology sounds awesome! I really wanted to take one environmental class that studied the effects of global warming, but paying for a class that I don’t need is definitely not fun. :strain:

Are you interested in geology too?

As for my favorite animal...I’m not sure if it counts as an animal, but I’ve been so interested in sharks lately! :grin:

Next

Return to Welcome Wagon