The place to relax and hold discussions about specific topics, and conversations, or to just have a nice little chat!

What are you making for Thanksgiving?

Moderator: Ryvvi

What are you making for Thanksgiving?

Postby Mouse » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:26 am

And if you dont celebrate, what do you usually make for events with large amounts of people?

I'm not sure what to make I'm only making food for two!

Local time: Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:55 pm

Re: What are you making for Thanksgiving?

Postby MissAutumn » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:42 am

For me Christmas is the biggest meal celebration of the year.

For the vegetables I have roasted potatoes and parsnips, mashed carrot and turnip (swedes can be used instead of turnips) and brussel sprouts.

Since I don't eat meat I cook myself a Quorn roast for a meat substitute. For my guests, I usually cook them Turkey crown (usually with stuffing on the middle) as they're so much easier to cook than a full turkey.

For a side you can't forget a couple of Yorkshire Puddings. I'll be surprised if they're a thing over in the States so here's a picture in case they're not:
[+] SPOILER

I make a gravy and I also have cranberry sauce available.

For dessert, I serve a selection of Christmas pudding, trifle, chocolate yule log and pandoro.

Drinks - I have a choice of Asti (sweet sparkling wine), mead, beer and fruit juices.

It sounds like a lot but in my family we have the main meal at lunch and the dessert course in the evening. On average I have between 4-6 people at Christmas. Although this year it'll just be me and the fiancé so we'll have the same type of veg, share the quorn roast, not forgetting the Yorkshire Puddings, and either have a pandoro or a yule log.

What do you usually have for Thanksgiving? I always imagine it's similar to what we have at Christmas.

Local time: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:55 pm

Postby Kitalpha Hart » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:04 pm

Family thing, how many depends on the year. Rarely celebrate on the day of
Generally just the basics: turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, corn
This year we have frozen pies, a pumpkin and an apple. I know there's discussion of cranberry something or other going on
There may be a cake involved too, we almost always celebrate on my birthday
Everything else of a typically thought of american thanksgiving dinner? Nope

What's quorn? A different spelling of corn?

Local time: Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:55 pm

hangout|art shop|card shop
BUTT CAPES
I need mah butt capes!
ImageImage

Postby MissAutumn » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:31 pm

No, it's a meat substitute made from mycoprotein.

Postby galled » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:32 pm

Of course holiday meals are really about the people more than the food! :)

MissAutumn
No meat at all? Are you a vegetarian or vegan? (Can't keep straight which eats no animal products at all and which won't eat terrestrial animals...)

Thanks for the picture of the "pudding." I've always been confused as what constitutes a pudding in the UK. Here in the US, "pudding" is a gelatinous substance like this chocolate pudding. What do you guys call this?

Thanks for sharing! :heart:

Server Administrator

Local time: Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:55 pm

~Windlyn Daydream by Mouse

Windlyn is so fun,
Windlyn is so grand,
So come on everyone,
All across the land,
Come and join us now,
In this awesome site,
We will show you how,
Talking through the night.
~npixelz

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:48 pm

omg! I love yorkshire pudding and gravy! But it is called popovers in the US...not to be confused with the pastry popovers which are sweet.

Since you don't eat meat MissAutumn, what do you use for the fat to cook your yorkshire pudding?

Thanksgiving in US is usually turkey and Christmas can be turkey but is usually a roast or ham. Some do a goose or lamb (not my favorites, too gamey tasting for me).

Turkey breasts are so accessible now I usually make that instead of a whole bird ( unless the bird is free with purchases at the grocery store) for Thanksgiving. Mashed potato's (and gravy of course!) and also baked potato and steamed veggie's like carrots and beans (cooked separate). Costco makes a delicious pumpkin pie for extremely cheap so we get that for dessert plus make an apple crisp or something since apples are in season.

I love mashed carrots and parsnips... not everyone likes parsnips so I rarely eat them.

Postby MissAutumn » Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:31 pm

galled I'm vegetarian. I still eat eggs and milk.

To add more to the confusion, puddings in the UK can also be sweet (e.g. sticky toffee pudding). We sometimes call the dessert course the pudding course. Although "dessert" is the more popular name for it.

Tricky one. It looks a bit like a chocolate mousse but the pictured dessert looks a bit creamier.

Lemon Cheesecake That's interesting to learn their US name. I can't imagine them being sweet. I use vegetable or sun flower oil for the fat.

Having a ham at Christmas isn't a thing here but goose did used to be the traditional meat.

Postby Vivianne » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:40 pm

I don’t know what my family has planned for thanksgiving, but it involves turkey for sure and possibly something from a slow cooker.

I requested a breakfast meal from my regular rotation, plus the possibility of apple beet crisp minus the crisp. (Is there a special name for cooked fruit? I’m not looking for a compote; can’t eat anything puréed )

Roasted butternut squash with red onions and thyme is really good! Wish I could still eat it.

Local time: Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:55 pm

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:00 pm

I don't eat squash much but that sounds like a delicious combo, Vivianne. Apple beet sounds like something else I'd try since I like beets and the apples should give it a sweeter taste.

I like the bread puddings and poor man's pudding was a favorite of mine as a kid. Our "puddings" over here are more like a mousse...they have a milk base. I like the cooked puddings, don't like the "instant" 5 minute puddings.

Postby Vivianne » Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:08 pm

I really liked a dollop of pastry cream, microwaved slightly.

Here’s the apple beet crisp recipe I’m eying: https://food52.com/recipes/82126-apple- ... oat-cheese

Thanksgiving is really a bunch of food I can’t eat. I probably have better luck on a normal day, when I can just eat cod.

Postby galled » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:03 pm

I love cod!

Server Administrator

Postby Vivianne » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:22 pm

I’m trying to sneakily suggest cod recipes!

But back on topic, my mom pan-fries panko-crusted shrimp for Thanksgiving sometimes. We (or they, rather) eat mashed potatoes from box mixes.

Postby Kitalpha Hart » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:54 pm

Mycoprotien sounds like a pyramid scheme name lol
One geared towards vitamins or something to that effect

Yes sneak the fish in

Local time: Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:55 pm

Postby galled » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:32 pm

Sound like shrimp tempura-ish. Yum!

I like pan fried, broiled and grilled cod. Boiled/steamed, not so much. Actually, the latter ruins it for me...

Server Administrator

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:02 am

we can buy frozen mashed potato's and frozen mashed sweet potato's that are very good and heat up in only a few minutes. They are packaged in small medallion shapes so they are great if you want a quick side or add some to soup.

I love turkey soup!

Next

Return to The Lounge