Need advice? Tutoring? Want to share that thing that happened to you? This is the place for all things involving the world outside, and life in general.

What you don't know might kill you!

Moderator: Ryvvi

What you don't know might kill you!

Postby Gingerale » Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:37 pm

Better to be safe then sorry! Know before you use!

This is a thread to share your insights. Maybe something you have read or experienced might help someone.

Here's some news articles that might actually be helpful before you go using cannabis or if you are having side effects you didn't know about!

"With the new deregulation of Cannabis/marijuana and its prevalent use, emergency rooms are having an increase of people with adverse reactions.Since Colorado legalized marijuana, studies found there were more emergency room visits for psychiatric and cardiovascular symptoms.

The genes, Lem says, reveal how you metabolize the drug, whether you're prone to memory loss, and if you have an increased risk of paranoia while you're high, or a long term risk of developing schizophrenia.

"If people understand how their body reacts to cannabis, that's a good thing," said Lem, adding that this can help consumers make informed decisions when purchasing pot."

The three genes Lobo Genetics looks at are:

[+] SPOILER
CYP2C9 influences how we metabolize drugs. A mutation in this gene can affect how long it takes someone to break down THC, meaning one person can stay high for a longer time than another person using the same dose.
AKT1 is involved in many cellular functions. A few studies have shown that a variation in this gene could put you at risk for developing psychosis.
COMT plays a role in the breakdown of dopamine in the brain. Dopamine levels affect cognitive function and a variation of this gene can affect your memory.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ ... -1.5127087

In this article a 17 yr old boy was having issues with vomiting, turned out it was a reaction to excessive use of cannabis that was causing dehydration, his kidney's and liver ended up shutting down and he died.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/cannabin ... -1.5362007

Curious: if they are just discovering people can be genetically influenced by how they react to marajuana (smoked or ingested), what influence can second hand marijuana smoke have on those who are genetically inclined to have adverse or negative reactions?

Personally I have never tried it but the smell of it makes me want to vomit. Now I am worried about THC and CBD usage, which the article says THC is stored in fat in our bodies and can cause adverse reactions. :cry:

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:06 am

Re: What you don't know might kill you!

Postby Kitalpha Hart » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:52 pm

"But but weed has no side effects it's a plaaaant!!!!11!1!11!1!1!!!"
So is tobacco and that causes a bunch of trouble to our bodies too

One of my dad's vet friends who lives in California would've been 100% okay with sending over weed candy to help me during chemo, but he didn't learn until well after I was done
Keep in mind that I live in a state where medical usage isn't even legal yet, nevermind recreational, (there's currently 10 farms that can use it in foodstuffs in the state, and they had to apply for it) and my primary suggested a blunt or two to help with the anxiety of going. I never ended up doing that either

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:06 am

hangout|art shop|card shop
BUTT CAPES
I need mah butt capes!
ImageImage

Postby Vivianne » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:16 pm

I’ve never thought about THC or CBD specifically, though it’s been known for some time that enzymes affect drug metabolism.

Here is a slightly dated article about the effects of second- and third-hand smoke: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5741419/

There are...a lot of adverse events.

From what I understand of pharmacology (I am not a pharmacist), a drug in your system, whether consumed or inhaled, even secondhand, won’t clear your system until it has been metabolized and processed by the kidney or liver, whichever is applicable.

I need to double-check, but I believe if you are sensitive (but not allergic, which is completely different) to a drug (THC in this case), typically you metabolize it poorly and thus it lingers in your system, causing heightened effects, like you wrote in the spoilers.

Don’t quote me. I just happen to have an interest in pharmacology.

I’m looking at a future of severe nerve pain, and people already experiencing it have debated about CBD for ages.

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:06 am

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:09 am

I've know people who have used marijuana for medicinal purposes and also the new cbd drops (that is not suppose to make you high) but has healing results...especially I understand for epileptic seizures.

I think you just have to research medications before taking them or if you notice side effects from medications then ask the pharmacist or medical Doctor.

There us a reason the FDA tries to regulate medications...especially before they are put out on the market.

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:06 am

Postby Gingerale » Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:25 pm

I was at the grocery store yesterday buying some grated parmesan cheese in a bag and just happened to catch a speck of mold in one of the bags. The girl filling the shelf was there so I handed it to her and went to grab another and noticed another one had a bit of mold in it. So the two of us were looking through the bags and each one had a speck of mold! The end date was not for another month and a half!

Not that it would have killed you, but best to look at your food before you buy !

(I guess that is why we see recalls on products).

Postby Kitalpha Hart » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:44 pm

I think it was 2014, we had twix that had expired a month before the park opened
We didn't find out until September, park opens in May

Postby Gingerale » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:26 am

I'm going to have to take my cheese back after all _ it has mold in it!!! :cry:

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:55 am

"People who live to be 110 years old and beyond — known as supercentenarians — have a secret weapon in their immune system...
“Killer T cells, or cytotoxic T cells, usually have a marker on them called CD8 that allows them to peek into cells and see if there’s an infected cell.. however, the researchers found that most of their immune cells came from a subset of T cells called CD4 CTLs — a helper cell that can actually attack and kill other cells. “It is a relatively unique set of T cells
The researchers found that while supercentenarians have fewer B cells — white blood cells that secrete antibodies to fight pathogens — than the control group, they have significantly higher numbers of a rare type of T cell in their blood...
these are “very specialized immune cells that help our body in fighting virus infections and cancer. These cells secrete two compounds called granzyme B and perforin, which kill intruder cells upon direct contact.”

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/people- ... 22651.html

Postby Edelinlenalilacblue9 » Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:04 pm

I just know I personally can't take anything drug my body has no tolerance for much things but especially not to that I don't like the smell of it. Just haven't done it or anything like it never will. Thank you for the information regarding this topic. The smell is definitely here in Alaska and it was even more heavier polluting the air in the lower 48 but where I was, was in the south it was not well with my nose. I thought I could escape to Alaska and experience a healthier environment. But it is sold in stores, very legal here.

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:22 pm

Sadly Alaska has so many hours of darkness during the winter people probably want to veg out to get through it.

I have experienced days with longer nights just not 24 hours of darkness! <Does the moon come out during the winter & give some light at least ?>

Postby Gingerale » Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:09 pm

Maybe the countryside has clear air.

Postby Bassy » Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:24 pm

CBD I feel like is a better option than just marihuana. Marijuana can alter your perspective at least temporarily if the moment. It also would affect people differently: smoking marijuana can make you very paranoid and get very anxious. But CBD doesn’t have that “high” affect as marijuana does. CBD makes you feel calm but don’t feel like you’re in another world.

THC is like the legal form of weed I guess you can say. This would be considered a drug for drug tests because weed has THC in it. The ones you can get at gas stations like delta-8 are legal because it’s not at the right amount of “chemical??” (I can’t think of the right term) to be considered weed. It’s pretty much the step below.

Cannabis is very useful for those with epilepsy, since it can calm or stop the seizures.

Please feed and hold my pokemon?

Soup’s Pokémon!

Postby galled » Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:31 pm

I have a hard no on injesting pretty much anything from a gas station!

Server Administrator

~Windlyn Daydream by Mouse

Windlyn is so fun,
Windlyn is so grand,
So come on everyone,
All across the land,
Come and join us now,
In this awesome site,
We will show you how,
Talking through the night.
~npixelz

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:11 pm

Just be careful where you buy since not all is FDA approved or has had to go through screening.

But CBD oil does help some ... over use of it can cause issues though ... so use in moderation & if you are on medications make sure that there are no contra indications.

Postby Gingerale » Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:42 pm

We are told to eat more salads but salad isn't cooked so how do you get rid of any salmonella or other bacteria without scrubbing it until the lettuce is limp?

Sometimes I was lettuce & then put it in the freezer to crisp it up for about 5-10 minutes, do you think that kills enough germs?

Next

Return to Hinterland