New here? Introduce yourself!

Hi, I'm Tae.

Moderator: Ryvvi

Hi, I'm Tae.

Postby Taenia » Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:28 pm

I am 28.
I love home cooked pie fillings and mexican food.
I work in a auto shop because I really love vehicles, but I love websites like this because its such a calm and cute environment with so many nice people to chat with.
I love animals, especially large dogs. I have two currently, they are near literally my children.
I come off as a gothy tom boy, but I love cute, adorable kawaii-type things.
I love to do make decoden type stuff and sew.

Happy to have found Windlyn and nice to meet you.

Local time: Mon May 13, 2024 10:58 pm

Re: Hi, I'm Tae.

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:55 pm

Yay! I'm the first to welcome you to Windlyn! Great intro! :heart:

Fish every 8 hours, the items are unique to the fishing pond and are star/space related. The blue Ursus bear pet can only be found by fishing.
If you hatch a pet let me know and I will celebrate with you by gifting you an immortality potion for your pet.
Quest every 12 hours, If it asks for a past item I just let it go.
If you win on my pillow fight you have an opportunity to get feathers or a past item. Follow the adventure on my and Gizzie's charity and you can get feathers and past items.
Place on the top 100 score board for the doughnut game and I will give you a reward of feathers. Beat my top score and get 1000 feathers.

so...I love home cooked pie fillings but not crust :strain: <probably why I prefer fruit crisp> What are your favorite fillings? Do you make them yourself?

Local time: Mon May 13, 2024 9:58 pm

Postby Taenia » Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:04 pm

I used to love the crust, but I found out I have Celiac disease about 5 years ago, so no more bread for me.
My favourite is strawberry shortcake filling and apple pie. I do make them myself. I love to bake, even though it is much harder to do it without gluten.

What are your favourites?

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:11 pm

There are some great recipes with almond or coconut flour. Can you eat those? Celiac's is a difficult one to deal with but it is not worth the stomach cramps and pain from cheating. So many gluten free products out there now though. Pepperidge Farms has a crunchy shortbread cookie that is delicious. Like I could eat the whole bag in one sitting. Prices are higher though for gluten free unfortunately. But sometimes they have sales!

I stopped doing a lot of breads & pasta's and I feel much better. Never got tested for celiac though. I could do with a piece of strawberry shortcake right now! My mouth is watering thinking about it.

Can you do oats? If so a fruit crisp is just butter and oats and brown sugar. Strawberry blueberry is really good or the staple apple crisp. Eat it warm with ice cream - yum!

Postby Taenia » Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:23 pm

A lot of gluten free stuff is very expensive. I've become a much better cook because of it and actually prefer to cook homemade meals. Eating out and getting glutened because of a shared piece of equipment is very painful. I didn't realize you weren't supposed to hurt every day, or that it was supposed to feel like someone was pinning my appendix to my insides with a knife 24/7 :sad: . The thought of it is so painful that I do not miss wheat products haha.

I can eat certain oats. Some ways they are grown and harvested are gluten free, some aren't. I will have to try that this weekend, because that sounds amaaaaazing. Thank you for the suggestion!

I'd also like to find a good recipe for tarts.

Postby galled » Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:28 pm

Welcome!

Do you work on cars at work too or on your own? I like cars too, well, ones you can work on. Some of the latest cars are more replace computer modules or have critical components that are well hidden or require special tools making them impossible to diagnose anything let alone work on...

I like Toyotas best in this regard for serviceability.

Sorry you have Celiac's. I cut out most carbs in my diet, so I'm in a similar boat, but I've found substitutes for most everything. The bonus is I lost a lot of weight! :)

I hope you enjoy your time here!

Server Administrator

~Windlyn Daydream by Mouse

Windlyn is so fun,
Windlyn is so grand,
So come on everyone,
All across the land,
Come and join us now,
In this awesome site,
We will show you how,
Talking through the night.
~npixelz

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:36 pm

ok, I admit, I will eat pie crust if it is tarts!

I googled a recipe and these look delicious! https://bojongourmet.com/gluten-free-ta ... our-vegan/
[+] SPOILER
½ cup (60 g) Bob’s Red Mill blanched almond flour (or almond or hazelnut meal)
½ cup (80 g) Bob’s Red Mill sweet white rice flour (or 1 to 1 all-purpose flour)
½ cup (45 g) Bob’s Red Mill GF oat flour (or sorghum, teff, or buckwheat flour)
2 tablespoons (12 g) Bob’s Red Mill tapioca flour
¼ cup (50 g) organic granulated sugar
¼ teaspoon + 1⁄8 teaspoon fine sea salt (decrease to ¼ teaspoon if using salted butter or plant butter)
6 tablespoons (85 g) cold, unsalted butter or plant butter, in 1⁄2-inch cubes
1 teaspoon GF vanilla extract
"The hardest thing about this recipe is pressing the tart evenly into the pan; it takes me about 10 minutes to make it look pretty. Don’t forget to press the hot crust with the back of a spoon to help it hold together when cut, otherwise it will be very crumbly and delicate".

But it asks for sweet rice flour which I have never heard of, and oat flour.

Oh here is one that sounds better - https://www.elisabethandbutter.com/blog ... lour-crust

I think I am going to buy some almond flour next grocery trip and try this one.
[+] SPOILER
For the Crust
2 cups Super Fine Almond Flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup salted butter, softened
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg
For the Filling
½ cup fresh squeezed lemon juice (about 5-6 lemons)
2 teaspoons lemon zest
¾ cup sugar, divided
3 large eggs
¾ cup butter, softened to room temperature

Postby Taenia » Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:09 pm

galled- I have EDS so I'm not physically capable of being a mechanic. But my boss lets me help everyone and learn more. I manage the paperwork side of the business, order parts, do estimates, diagnose and inspect vehicles.
Newer cars are much much more difficult to work on, I agree. I also find that most of these new vehicles are just "throw aways" not meant to last and that makes me sad.
Our shop is a local business, that specializes in older cars, and classics so we don't have a lot of equipment for newer vehicles. We love old dodge/chrysler/plymouth stuff and cummins trucks. But we'll work on just about anything if it's broken.
I am extremely passionate about Jeeps before 1998, especially classic jeeps like Gladiators and M75s. And hemi motors. *ETA* I have a lifted 96 Cherokee that I like to work on by myself when possible :heart:
But I think that most toyota's are extremely reliable, long lasting vehicles.

Lemon- that all looks amazing! Thank you for finding those recipes. Looks like I'm going to be doing a lot of baking this weekend!
Gotta be careful with the Bob's redmill, had a bad experience with one of those flours. Can't remember what I was making, but the flour was heeeeavy in garbanzo beans and it's all you could taste. It ruined what we had made, threw the whole batch out haha

Postby Gingerale » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:06 pm

Cute avatar, btw!

You sound like you have experience in a lot of things!

I had to look up what EDS was but I have actually heard of it. Does physical therapy help at all for you? Did you get diagnosed as a child?

If you play the games the score for 3 plays each game per day counts for feathers. Everyone is very friendly but the community seems distracted at this time with all that is going on in the world. Quite a few paly on animal crossing. Do you play AC?

Stop by my freebie thread!

Local time: Mon May 13, 2024 8:58 pm

Postby galled » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:19 pm

I had to look it up too. I think Diana thought she might have EDS too at one time (she's super flexible and her joints like her knees would pop out for no reason).

Yes, cars today are designed for planned obsolescence and thus disposable. It's sad.

I think gas vehicles are going to go the way of the dinosaur, but I suppose since COVID, it's been delayed by a number of years. That's neat that you work at a shop that works on classic cars! You probably get to see some really neat things!

Yes, the hemi! Is your Cherokee pre or post Fiat-Chrysler?

Server Administrator

Postby Taenia » Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:52 pm

Gingerale- Thanks! Everyone's avi here is cute! It's almost impossible for them not to be.
Physical therapy helps build the muscle up a bit, but unfortunately my degree of dislocation is severe it's only mildly useful. But luckily, it being so severe, everything is so loose that very few dislocations are painful.
I've been playing the games everyday! I like them a lot.
Do you play the games a lot?

galled- I do see a lot of neat stuff. I love it.
I won't own a fiat jeep. they took over in 12 or 13 and I've never like any Jeep made before 98. Except the hemi Commander. I loved that one. The new "Cherokee" is a KL on a car platform and not worthy of the name. Like the new "Blazer" mini van.
My Cherokee a 96 XJ and still primarily an AMC Jeep. I also have a 77 Cherokee Chief S that we are slowly building from the ground up. :heart:
What is your favourite vehicle?

Postby galled » Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:12 pm

Oh thank goodness! The new "Jeeps" since Fiat-Chrysler are completely terrible.

You really seem to know your stuff! So many people have no idea what cars are really like. They only go by what it looks like and their old reputations (which none live up to today--well maybe Toyota, but they've slipped a bit, but still solid by comparison).

Sounds like a big project! Does the state you live in, well are they flexible with emissions? I live in California and they don't like old and or modified cars. :(

Favorite? I don't think I can narrow it down to one. And my preferences change depending on what my needs are. I think my next car might be electric, but I like the smell of gasoline. The new cars have no smell. I know it's better for you and the environment, but the smell a muscle car emits on high octane gas just seems, I don't know, powerful and comforting at the same time. You might understand what I mean. ;)

Server Administrator

Postby Taenia » Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:53 pm

yeaeaaaa. The "Renegade" (which is a CJ trim from the 80's) is LITERALLY a fiat panda. Fiat makes terrible cars. Fiat has terrible reliability. Newer jeeps just aren't what they used to be. And most wranglers have had the 3.6 or 3.7 dodge caravan minivan motors in them since 07. yuck.

I'm from Phoenix where they do emissions but not in a super strict way and dont care about the condition of your vehicle other wise, but I currently live in Missouri where there are no emissions except in St. Louis. We do have vehicle inspections to make sure the cars won't be the cause of an accident due to equipment failure, though. I'm licensed to do that.

Oh i very much get what you mean :heart: :heart: I love the smell of it too.
Unlike gear oil. Gear oil smells like the bubbly tar pits of hell. That is the worst. Or is there something you dislike more?

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:32 pm

Haha you are a pair! I choke on the smell of gasoline muscle cars...you can smell them for blocks...well, not quite but almost! However, I like the LOOK of older cars.

Postby Taenia » Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:24 am

Ha ha, I can understand that! Many classics are are just absolute works of art. And I am absolutely in love with the engineering of vehicles. All of these little pieces have to work, mostly in time, to create power and turn explosions into the movement that propels literal tons of steel. Amazing!

Next

Return to Welcome Wagon